Speculation: Do we make the playoffs?

Do we make the playoffs in 23/24?

• The Pittsbrugh Sullivans always find a way (yes)

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • lmao no, lol (what, are you blind, no!)

Votes: 45 84.9%

• Total voters

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I was onboard with playoffs before the season. We only needed to play a TINY bit better. EK
Some addition by subtraction. Grindemdown bottom six adds.

It's, at best, the same sorry team, now.

The top six is doing some stuff.

Bottom six might as well stay on the bench.

It's gotta be coaching staff fired NOW.

If there's no spark, blow up FAs at the TDL.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We had this poll before the season in a separate thread and I was one of the few who said no…I had a hard time seeing us play differently than we did to end the season last year without a new coach and it turns out this is one time I am right lol

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I voted no, but honestly it feels like it's going down to the wire. Of course, this team DOES have the ability to win, which is a good thing.

The question comes down to (as Sully is probably not going) can find a system that fits the team.

Okay...compromise time...
If they aren't going to get rid of Sully, can they at least get rid of all the assistant coaches?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'll say no, because I want this team to accept that they're no longer "all-in" and they're not contenders, and that a change is badly needed.

We barely got change after last season. If they'd gotten the extra two points to make the playoffs, Hextall's probably still the GM. Maybe missing again, and missing badly, is enough to finally get them to replace Sullivan and the coaching staff.

Fully expect the talent to keep them hovering close enough for the team to do some stupid bullshit like buying at the TDL and keeping/re-signing Jake.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
We had this poll before the season in a separate thread and I was one of the few who said no…I had a hard time seeing us play differently than we did to end the season last year without a new coach and it turns out this is one time I am right lol

As one of the 10% who said "no", my guess is also looking good. Sad to say, it's been a great run, but we're heading toward the bottom of the cycle. Missing last year was just the beginning of the descent, IMHO.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

Boy was I wrong as f***. :laugh:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I wish the rebuild started in summer 2022, before re-signing Malkin, Letang, Rust, Rakell.
Said so at the time. Still feel that way now.
Watching years of pretending and making zero progress towards championships is painful.
I don't believe in throwing away years of the organization to honor the core. That's against the spirit of sport, where you should always be striving to win.
We honored them for 15 years. It's enough. Doesn't have to be 20.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think it will be a long season but I think they scratch and claw their way into a wild card spot.
That's a hell of a run they need to go on, just as the East magically implodes, IMO.

We're not mathematically eliminated yet, but man, it's going to be really hard for this team to make that 8th seed as it currently stands.

Reactions: Andy99

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Yes. EK65, better goaltending than last year, a competent bottom6. The sum of the parts are better than the whole so far. The’yll get it turned around.

Can’t vote yes in the poll since “the Pittsburgh Sullivans” don’t always make the playoffs.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yes. EK65, better goaltending than last year, a competent bottom6. The sum of the parts are better than the whole so far. The’yll get it turned around.

Can’t vote yes in the poll since “the Pittsburgh Sullivans” don’t always make the playoffs.
If they make the playoffs you can rename the poll, that's in the rules.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No. I had hopes that the addition of Karlsson would fix (or at least improve) the pathetic PP, and that alone would have bumped last year's team into the playoffs. But alas, here we are.

They still look pathetic under Sullivan. The same issues persist. And this organization refuses to fire Sullivan when it's been blatantly obvious for multiple seasons now that he's well past his best-by date.

Maybe, if the team has the guts to fire the entire coaching staff before Christmas, they can turn it around. But as long as Sullivan is the coach, the answer is no.

Reactions: Andy99

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
That's a hell of a run they need to go on, just as the East magically implodes, IMO.

We're not mathematically eliminated yet, but man, it's going to be really hard for this team to make that 8th seed as it currently stands.
I think as the standings look today some teams like the Flyers and Capitals will come back down to Earth. I didn’t realize as of today we are ahead of the Devils.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
We're five points out of a wildcard spot, which isn't too awful. There are 4 teams between us and WC2, which is pretty bad. We'd be 3 points out with 3 teams in front of us had we held on to win the f***ing game against the Sabres.

If we manage to make it, we are surely going nowhere. April is a fine month to get outside versus wasting time watching frustrating hockey, so there's that.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Now this will be funny to see all the votes favor NO.
The pre-season poll from 2-3 months ago, out of 87 voters, 6 said they will finish out of a playoff position.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
We're five points out of a wildcard spot, which isn't too awful. There are 4 teams between us and WC2, which is pretty bad. We'd be 3 points out with 3 teams in front of us had we held on to win the f***ing game against the Sabres.

If we manage to make it, we are surely going nowhere. April is a fine month to get outside versus wasting time watching frustrating hockey, so there's that.
The thing is, this roster is old. It will not be an easier pushing for the post-season INSIDE a playoff spot --- like last year. So now fighting for a playoff spot OUTSIDE of the top 8 with an old roster come April will be a very unfavorable position to be in as knocks and injuries accumulate.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
lol several hours in and still no one thinks we’ll make the playoffs

I think as the standings look today some teams like the Flyers and Capitals will come back down to Earth. I didn’t realize as of today we are ahead of the Devils.
I don’t quite see it, but it’s an honest take and I hope you’re right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad