Do we have to stop drafting/trading for high character, nice guys?

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
The problem isn’t drafting high character, nice guys. Crosby is a high character, nice guy.

The problem is seemingly putting too much value in those attributes rather than high end skill and talent, particularly in the first round which is where you will usually draft the guys with real top end potential.

Some « safe » guys are worth it but I’d almost always rather swing for the fences at least in the first.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I don't think anyone thought. Boeser would be as good as he has been

I also think people are selling white short
It wasn't meant to be a negative to White.

Just two similarity ranked prospects from the same league in the same draft. One was known for two-way game and the other for offense. One is doing pretty good in the AHL and the other is playing like a 1st liner in the NHL.

Similar to Lazar vs Mantha.

I really don't think this is a problem overall. Otherwise we don't draft Brown.

Aurilius

Nov 12, 2015
Hostage in Canada's Basement
I'm suggesting I never met someone I would consider a high character nice guy who would spear someone in the sack on purpose, yes. I'm saying he's a :eek::eek::eek::eek:, which will probably get edited out so how about we just call him a Tom Brady, highly skilled, but still at best a suspect human being.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I am not even sure why this is an issue
510651104-e1476195549581.jpg

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I don't think he has that much skill. He plays on a stacked college team, got to play in a line with Mittlestadt during the WJC and his size won't be as much of a force vs. Men

I have reservations about Tkachuk offensively to be drafted as high as he's projected, but I don't think he'll have a problem finding a spot in the NHL and being able to make an impact as a top 6 forward ala prime Lucic. As for his size, when he reaches his prime he'll probably be 215-220 pounds so he will be a force to be reckoned with on the boards.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I have reservations about Tkachuk offensively to be drafted as high as he's projected, but I don't think he'll have a problem finding a spot in the NHL and being able to make an impact as a top 6 forward ala prime Lucic. As for his size, when he reaches his prime he'll probably be 215-220 pounds so he will be a force to be reckoned with on the boards.
I think there’s been this weird bias that if a guy in North American and has any sort of physicality to his game it means there’s no skill. Thatchuk I thought showed great IQ during the wjcs. The guy can play he’s not just out there moving people around. His brother can play too but there was the same bias amongst fans with him to

Reactions: branch

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh when you pick in the 20,s they are pretty much the same in most drafts...If you go off board and pick a grinder with a top 10 pick then that would be an issue...

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Ottawa's drafting is good, but very safe.

2015 class looks like we could end up with 5 NHL'ers (Chabot, White, Chlapik, Jaros and maybe Gagne if he figures it out).

The problem is that they typically pass on guys with question marks in their game, despite a higher level of overall skill in favour of a more complete player:
2015- White over Konecny (size) and Boeser (skating).
2013- Lazar over Burakowsky (defense)
2012- Ceci over Maatta (size)

The only skilled picks in the 1st round that they were willing to take chances on were Karlsson, Chabot and Brown.

Reactions: jehkob

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I don't think he has that much skill. He plays on a stacked college team, got to play in a line with Mittlestadt during the WJC and his size won't be as much of a force vs. Men

He's going to be massive. Have you seen him? He doesn't even shave his face now. Definitely a late bloomer. Center depth with two Amazons in Brown and Tkachuk would be formidable, just saying.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
He's going to be massive. Have you seen him? He doesn't even shave his face now. Definitely a late bloomer. Center depth with two Amazons in Brown and Tkachuk would be formidable, just saying.

Are you calling Brown and Tkachuk women?

Or do you not know that "Amazons" refer to a tribe of women warriors in Greek Mythology?

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
The problem isn’t drafting high character, nice guys. Crosby is a high character, nice guy.

The problem is seemingly putting too much value in those attributes rather than high end skill and talent, particularly in the first round which is where you will usually draft the guys with real top end potential.

Some « safe » guys are worth it but I’d almost always rather swing for the fences at least in the first.

Great post.

Swing for the fences and try to get an impact player in the first round. You can always supplement "high character," middle of the lineup guys through free-agency or the later rounds. There will always be high character guys on the 'back nice' of their careers looking for a chance to stay in the league, even if it means playing a reduced role.

Reactions: Bileur

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
Yes but not for the type of guys you are suggesting

The idea of picking safe, low ceiling high floor "character" guys is killing us and is why we are one of the worst teams in the league in terms of rookie scoring

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Please no Tkachuk. I wouldn't mind Matt, but his little brother isn't as skilled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad