Do we have to stop drafting/trading for high character, nice guys?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Seems like this has been the move Since the Emery, Heater, McGratton days. Seems like we may be missing some cocky jocks to give this team some swagger. Paul Mclean led the Charge a few season ago and his attitude really rubbed off on the players (until it didn't) but that was a fun team to watch. Boucher seems like he doesn't even want to look at a player the wrong way as to not insult them or some thing. The way Dorion talks is like everything is going to be all right way to optimistic. I kind of wish Melnyk was the GM for a bit because you know he would start yelling at players.

IDK.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Boro needs a wing man. He goes into scrums by himself. Neil type.

Team needs more grit in their top players. Our forwards are way to soft, starting with Hoff, Ryan, Brass we need a top 6 player like Brady Tkachuk who is old school and plays the game with emotion.

Up front we have Stone and I like Pageau, Dzingel, Duch as a follow up core. But way to soft.

Reactions: Beville and aragorn

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Boro needs a wing man. He goes into scrums by himself. Neil type.

Team needs more grit in their top players. Our forwards are way to soft, starting with Hoff, Ryan, Brass we need a top 6 player like Brady Tkachuk who is old school and plays the game with emotion.

Up front we have Stone and I like Pageau, Dzingel, Duch as a follow up core. But way to soft.
brady tkachuk is a 3rd liner middle 6 at best lol

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Sometimes I think that we draft the safe character guys because they aren't ever going to be stars so they won't ask for a big pay day.

Management thinks you can win cups with intangibles, and intangibles are cheap.

Reactions: Stylizer1

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Sometimes I think that we draft the safe character guys because they aren't ever going to be stars so they won't ask for a big pay day.

Management thinks you can win cups with intangibles, and intangibles are cheap.
we wouldn't have drafted brown or Chabot if we were believing in character guys.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Management does believe in character guys.

Every second word out Dorion or Lee's mouth is "character" .

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We just need ****ing skilled hockey players.

We have plenty of skilled players, in fact, that's the [problem, our skilled guys aren't playing up to the value they are paid to play. Hoffman, Duchene, Stone, Ryan, Brassard, Dzingel, Anderson & Karlsson are all skilled players who are under performing with the exception of Stone.

brady tkachuk is a 3rd liner middle 6 at best lol

Isn't it a tad early to already judge what this guy is going to be before he is drafted? I can remember in many drafts people coming on here & predicting what kind of a player a certain guy is going to be & being wrong, often, me included. I'll wait to reserve judgement, he has all the makings of a top 6 player. Did you feel the same way about his brother?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Seems like this has been the move Since the Emery, Heater, McGratton days. Seems like we may be missing some cocky jocks to give this team some swagger. Paul Mclean led the Charge a few season ago and his attitude really rubbed off on the players (until it didn't) but that was a fun team to watch. Boucher seems like he doesn't even want to look at a player the wrong way as to not insult them or some thing. The way Dorion talks is like everything is going to be all right way to optimistic. I kind of wish Melnyk was the GM for a bit because you know he would start yelling at players.

IDK.
So you make a post without any specific examples or data ....nice. Chabot and Karlsson were both high skilled picks. Brown was also a high skilled pick. Zibby? Silver? Weirchioch? Are you talking about looking back and wishing we picked someone else?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, we need to change our drafting style. Bowers, who has since been traded shouldn't have been our pick last year. I would rather we focus on talent than character as well.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If the Sens elite scouting staff has a weakness, it's their tendency to bunt on high picks for two-way leadership types who play mature games.

Cowen, Lazar, Englund, White and Bowers were all selected over players with more skill and higher upside.

I suppose one could make the argument that Silfverberg and Formenton fit this criteria as well, but at least they had an elite projectable skill (release for Silfverberg, skating for Formenton).

Given that our scouting staff has averaged 2-3 NHLers in rounds 2-7 over the past decade, it doesn't make sense to pass on a higher potential player to select a guy with lower upside who's a "safe" bet to play in the league.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
intangibles are important, but they are a bonus to good hockey/skills that come first. Its f***ing hilarious how mark borowiecki has a multi year contract in the top level hockey league in the world. It an embarrassment.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ottawa needs a pest too. Someone who gets tempers up and emotions flowing. Darcy Tucker, Ruutu, Marchand, Andrew Shaw. Not to fight, just to tick guys off.

Aurilius

Nov 12, 2015
Hostage in Canada's Basement
Short answer to op question yes. We have lots of character guys, and not a single guy with a chip on his shoulder outside Borocop. We traded for that guy in Burrows after he stopped being it. I'm not a proponent of goons, but we need guys who stand up for their teamates. The first hit Boro made Yesterday was the best I've seen in 2 months. Phanuef jaws, but never to protect teamates, only on personal gripes. Smiths a shadow of his former self. I honestly think it's Boucher, he coaches them to dampen all emotion and makes them not only boring but lackluster. There's no jam in his system. And we need jammers more than anything right now. We get worked over by every team we play, despite having more counted hits. We're small, and slow, and out of shape. In other words, not an NHL team.

Reactions: Classless Goon

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
Aside from Karlsson and Chabot do we even have a legit roster player we've drafted in the first round?

Edit I guess Ceci too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad