Speculation: Do we do anything at the TDL?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Or before. We usually do.

This year, I think we have about 2.2 million in space (with a 23 man roster and Amadio and Hutton sent down through waivers) if Stone is on LTIR the rest of the regular season.

If Patrick joins him on LTIR (I hope he doesn't but it feels like we might have seen the last of him this season) then they could have about 2.65 million.

Martinez is another wildcard. Do we look at Martinez insurance? I guess the team would know whether we would need to or not.

Personally think we need a Reaves replacement, and possibly Craig Anderson or Holtby if we want to just have a ton of goaltending options we can throw at the dartboard and see what sticks.

Last edited:

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Or before. We usually do.

This year, I think we have about 2.2 million in space (with a 23 man roster and Amadio and Hutton sent down through waivers) if Stone is on LTIR the rest of the regular season.

If Patrick joins him on LTIR (I hope he doesn't but it feels like we might have seen the last of him this season) then they could have about 2.65 million.

Martinez is another wildcard. Do we look at Martinez insurance? I guess the team would know whether we would need to or not.

Personally think we need a Reaves replacement, and possibly Craig Anderson or Holtby if we want to just have a ton of goaltending options we can throw at the dartboard and see what sticks.

I don't think we'd get better than Hutton at his price - I'd rather roll with Thompson if Lehner going to be our main goaltending than get another goalie.
Not sure of Martinez status and I think we do need a big tough body for the fourth line.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
In a perfect world Dallas falls apart in the next month and we can send Dadonov+Brisson/Morozov for Pavelski + Holtby.

More likely we just add a rental forward that makes less than 1m like Parise. Need at least 1 more wing that goes to the net and battles.

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I don't expect us to do anything. I honestly don't really want them to do anything other than possibly trading a guy like Dadonov for cap space.

Eichel was basically our trade deadline acquisition.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
This is why I was glad to see Thompson start. We need to get a look at him this season to see what he can do.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
I’ll be surprised to see us do anything. Any more roster additions would be followed by more complaining that we are cheating by being way over the cap.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
You know McCrimmon will be looking for upgrades/improvements.

There's always the possibility of cap-clearing trade(s) AFTER the TDL to allow LTIR guys to be activated. (The only restriction on post-TDL trades is any acquired players can't play in playoffs.) Trade might be for pick(s) and/or prospects.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
In a perfect world Dallas falls apart in the next month and we can send Dadonov+Brisson/Morozov for Pavelski + Holtby.

More likely we just add a rental forward that makes less than 1m like Parise. Need at least 1 more wing that goes to the net and battles.

I do feel at least we should take advantage of what I've heard analysts call a seller's market to get rid of Dadonov for cheap now and not wait until summer. Try to get ahead of our cap issues for once.

Maybe something like we send a 3rd, Boston sends a 2nd to a third team who holds 2-2.5 million of Dadonov and Boston gets him for two playoff runs at 2.5-3 million. There probably wouldn't be an issue with his NTC if he's going to Boston and the Bruins are looking for scoring depth.

Weren't we linked to a forward a few weeks ago around the time the Fleury rumor cropped up?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
There might be some good buy low options, like a Brandon Sutter for a conditional 5th. Max Domi is another if they can make the cap work.

And Olofsson if the Sabres want to move him.

Last edited:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I do feel at least we should take advantage of what I've heard analysts call a seller's market to get rid of Dadonov for cheap now and not wait until summer. Try to get ahead of our cap issues for once.

Maybe something like we send a 3rd, Boston sends a 2nd to a third team who holds 2-2.5 million of Dadonov and Boston gets him for two playoff runs at 2.5-3 million. There probably wouldn't be an issue with his NTC if he's going to Boston and the Bruins are looking for scoring depth.

Weren't we linked to a forward a few weeks ago around the time the Fleury rumor cropped up?

Be nice if they could get a taker on Dadonov at that price but I highly doubt it. He's probably not tradeable until the offseason and I'm sure management thinks he offers something to the team still to the point they won't give extra assets to move him.

I don't see why or how any moves get made at this point. Consider Stone and Martinez as the effective TDL pickups.

EMcx2

Dec 11, 2021
Can we trade the whole forward group for anybody who can actually put the puck in the net? Oh... and they have to be available for every game. When Carrier is the best forward on the ice success is unlikely.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Currently getting out hit 26-5 late in the second against the Coyotes. The same story pretty much every game.

We desperately need a physical presence for the playoffs.

The problem is not a lack of hitting. It's lack of skill from players that go to the dirty areas. The guys that actually go and battle around the net (Roy/Carrier/Kolesar/Howden) can't finish. It's the same issue they've had even when they were one of the league leaders in hits. Just too many soft forwards that want to play on the perimeter.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
The problem is not a lack of hitting. It's lack of skill from players that go to the dirty areas. The guys that actually go and battle around the net (Roy/Carrier/Kolesar/Howden) can't finish. It's the same issue they've had even when they were one of the league leaders in hits. Just too many soft forwards that want to play on the perimeter.

This has been painfully obvious since McPhee blew up a good team to get a bunch of stars who also don't get their hands dirty. Tuch at least went to the net in the playoffs. He got wise about not doing it too much in the regular season since he got hurt too easily.

Just little effective grit out there. It's nice to be physical and have size but effectively going to the net is something these guys just don't do.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
This has been painfully obvious since McPhee blew up a good team to get a bunch of stars who also don't get their hands dirty. Tuch at least went to the net in the playoffs. He got wise about not doing it too much in the regular season since he got hurt too easily.

Just little effective grit out there. It's nice to be physical and have size but effectively going to the net is something these guys just don't do.

Mchpee 100% was right to blow up that first year team. There was no way to recreate that kind of magic. You weren't catching other teams off guard anymore. There wasn't going to be the same chip on the shoulder of the Knights players. 1 October wasn't going to be a driving force to motivate the team. Karlsson wasn't going to shoot 24% again. Etc.....

Running that team back would have resulted in a bubble playoff team IMO. We wouldn't be worried about choking WCF though. We'd be a typical expansion team looking for footing in the league.

The current team just needs a couple players like Pavelski/Crouse at the expense of guys like Pacioretty/Dadonov.

Last edited:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Mchpee 100% was right to blow up that first year team. There was no way to recreate that kind of magic. You weren't catching other teams off guard anymore. There wasn't going to be the same chip on the shoulder of the Knights players. 1 October wasn't going to be a driving force to motivate the team. Karlsson wasn't going to shoot 24% again. Etc.....

Running that team back would have resulted in a bubble playoff team IMO. We wouldn't be worried about choking WCF though. We'd a typical expansion team looking for footing in the league.

The current team just needs a couple players like Pavelski/Crouse at the expense of guys like Pacioretty/Dadonov.

Agree to disagree on that one. The playing style and talent suggested improvements, not trying to turn them into a lame attempt at looking like other teams. They had tons of space, lots of young talent and picks and McPhee decided he wanted them to be built like the Capitals minus some guy wearing #8.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019

Running that team back would have resulted in a bubble playoff team IMO. We wouldn't be worried about choking WCF though. We'd a typical expansion team looking for footing in the league.

In the off season we need to trade Pacioretty, both to free cap space and because he is a very one dimensional player at this point who seems to be getting hurt constantly. Getting rid of Dadanov is a no-brainer. Resign Smith and start to get some young players on ELC's.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
In the off season we need to trade Pacioretty, both to free cap space and because he is a very one dimensional player at this point who seems to be getting hurt constantly. Getting rid of Dadanov is a no-brainer. Resign Smith and start to get some young players on ELC's.

I'll regain faith in the franchise if that happens. What I expect happens though is PDB and Spott are still around, a couple more mediocre veterans are signed for too much money, and young guys will mostly still languish in the AHL. I don't think this franchise will embrace youth until they decide its time to rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad