Do the Kings Have What it Takes to Beat Chicago?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Absolutely not

How so?

Down the Middle Hawks

Toews
Kruger
Handzus
Shaw

On the LW

Sharp
Saad
Bickell
Versteeg

on the RW

Kane
Hossa
Smith
Bollig

On D

Keith
Seabrook
Hjamarsson
Oduya
Rosival
Kostka

Are you saying that we aren't as deep as Chicago?

What are you guys seeing that I am not,

The high end talent is higher on Chicago, Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa vs Kopitar, Carter, Richards, Brown, but after that, Chicago falls SHARPLY, to Saad, Shaw, Versteeg, etc.

I believe LA is actually deeper than CHI, guarantee you that CHI loses Kane/Toews they don't react the same way when LA loses Carter or Richards, etc.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Yet and we continue to play them extremely close....We absolutely can match their depth, and speed...

I appreciate your optimism, but I really think this argument is Pejorative Slured. Morale victories don't mean **** in this league...it's all about results, and the Kings results vs CHI the last few season have been horrible. So, until that changes....and I'm not talking about stats like scoring chances or shots-for, etc.....I'm talking about WINS. Until that starts happening...then NO, they are not close and there's no good reason why we should look forward to seeing them in the playoffs.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Absolutely not

i'm going to be the weirdo here and say we can.

I think it's a usage/systems issue more than personnel, bonus wild card factor to Jamie Kompon. How many times do the Kings give Chicago an odd man break due to a bad pinch vs. other teams?

Edit: to add to the above, it's just a bad matchup. How many games (and important ones) has StL lost to us relative to the rest of the league over the last few years? How about the Ducks? The Ducks seem to solve Chicago; are they head and shoulders unbeatable?

Most of our games are close and that first goal is ever so important. More so than other teams, we play so scared and tentative that we give up that break and they seem to finish all their chances. Also, for whatever reason, Quick vs. Chicago is like Turco at Staples. We need our best players to be our best players and our depth will take care of itself imo.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I appreciate your optimism, but I really think this argument is Pejorative Slured. Morale victories don't mean **** in this league...it's all about results, and the Kings results vs CHI the last few season have been horrible. So, until that changes....and I'm not talking about stats like scoring chances or shots-for, etc.....I'm talking about WINS. Until that starts happening...then NO, they are not close and there's no good reason why we should look forward to seeing them in the playoffs.

You are dead wrong. I mean, you have your opinion and that's great.

But talk to anyone that has played the game at an extremely high level, and morale victories ABSOLUTELY mean a lot. It's all about confidence and attention to detail. There is a reason why there are so many cliche's in sports and why you hear the players give those answers, it's because it's true.

When the CHANCES go, then you are in trouble, until then, you keep on doing what you are doing.

Captain Mittens*

You are dead wrong. I mean, you have your opinion and that's great.

But talk to anyone that has played the game at an extremely high level, and morale victories ABSOLUTELY mean a lot. It's all about confidence and attention to detail. There is a reason why there are so many cliche's in sports and why you hear the players give those answers, it's because it's true.

When the CHANCES go, then you are in trouble, until then, you keep on doing what you are doing.

I agree with Axl here. This isn't a soccer rec league. Wins and Cups are all that matter Hoss.

Here is a another sports cliche' for you: the Hawks have the Kings number right now. Hopefully that changes, because the Kings are their ***** right now

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I agree with Axl here. This isn't a soccer rec league. Wins and Cups are all that matter Hoss.

Here is a another sports cliche' for you: the Hawks have the Kings number right now. Hopefully that changes, because the Kings are their ***** right now

Ok,

Fine, so then by your logic, TB is better than CHI, because Tampa has beaten them twice this year....

apparently everyone is forgetting about LAK-5-4 victory last year, so....in the past 3 games, CHI is 2-1 against us, and 0-3 against TB,

Herego, if wins are the only thing that matters, TB is much better than CHI....

Captain Mittens*

Ok,

Fine, so then by your logic, TB is better than CHI, because Tampa has beaten them twice this year....
I never said that, that is you attempting to go off an a tangent. TB might play Chicago well head to head and may have their number.
But, a better team is judged by 82 games against the entire league, Holmes

apparently everyone is forgetting about LAK-5-4 victory last year, so....in the past 3 games, CHI is 2-1 against us, and 0-3 against TB,
you are leaving out the playoffs. So in our last 8 games against Chi, The Chicago is 6-2 against the Kings esse

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I never said that, that is you attempting to go off an a tangent. TB might play Chicago well head to head and may have their number.
But, a better team is judged by 82 games against the entire league, Holmes

you are leaving out the playoffs. So in our last 8 games against Chi, The Chicago is 6-2 against the Kings esse

So you're saying there's a chance!

So we only need 16 games to get 4 wins against them. i'm not seeing the problem here :sarcasm:

I agree the Hawks have us pegged but I try not to read too much into last year's series except as a montage of an asskicking to fire up the troops.

KingKopitar11*

How so?

Down the Middle Hawks

Toews
Kruger
Handzus
Shaw

On the LW

Sharp
Saad
Bickell
Versteeg

on the RW

Kane
Hossa
Smith
Bollig

On D

Keith
Seabrook
Hjamarsson
Oduya
Rosival
Kostka

Are you saying that we aren't as deep as Chicago?

What are you guys seeing that I am not,

The high end talent is higher on Chicago, Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa vs Kopitar, Carter, Richards, Brown, but after that, Chicago falls SHARPLY, to Saad, Shaw, Versteeg, etc.

I believe LA is actually deeper than CHI, guarantee you that CHI loses Kane/Toews they don't react the same way when LA loses Carter or Richards, etc.

Just no, their line up is fast and talented. Their defense is quick and agile, and smart passers.

We can never cycle against them because of that.

Last but not least, Kopitar is the only center that holds his own against the Hawks.

If we want to match well against the hawks, we need a top 6 LW and a better 3rd line.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Only if we score more than they do in a game!

Honestly whoever the kings play in the first round(no jinx) is going to be tough. It is a tough league. SJ, ANH, STL, and VAN are all scary in their own right. Colorado too!

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
With this lineup, I think we can better compete against the hawx:

King-Kopi-Carter/Williams
Brown-Richards-Williams/Carter
Pearson-Vey-Toffoli
Nolan/Lewis-Stoll-Frattin

Captain Mittens*

So you're saying there's a chance!

jim%252Bcarrey.jpg

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
So essentially, the top King players have to play like the top King players,

I don't think anyone is disputing that....

Yeah, but the top King players don't match the production of the top Hawk players. Not just over a game or two, but over 10 games. It's almost a goal per game difference between top players on each team.

Now, to be fair, 7 of those last 10 games have been played in Chicago. However, in the 3 games in LA, Chicago is 2-1. All 3 games in LA were played last year, when the Kings had the best regular season record at home, and lost only 1 home playoff game, which was against Chicago.

30 goals over the last 10 games for Chicago. 21 goals over the last 10 games for the Kings. The Hawks don't blow the Kings out by an average of 5-1 every game, but it's the 3-2 league Sutter always talks about, almost to the decimal point.

The Hawks 4 top forwards get 1.789 goals per game. The Kings top 5 forwards get 1.051 goals per game. That, and Keith outscoring Doughty, is the difference between the two teams.

So basically the Hawks have Patrick Kane, and the Kings don't. It figures that Kane got the hat trick in Game 5, including the series clinching goal.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Yeah, but the top King players don't match the production of the top Hawk players. Not just over a game or two, but over 10 games. It's almost a goal per game difference between top players on each team.

Now, to be fair, 7 of those last 10 games have been played in Chicago. However, in the 3 games in LA, Chicago is 2-1. All 3 games in LA were played last year, when the Kings had the best regular season record at home, and lost only 1 home playoff game, which was against Chicago.

30 goals over the last 10 games for Chicago. 21 goals over the last 10 games for the Kings. The Hawks don't blow the Kings out by an average of 5-1 every game, but it's the 3-2 league Sutter always talks about, almost to the decimal point.

The Hawks 4 top forwards get 1.789 goals per game. The Kings top 5 forwards get 1.051 goals per game. That, and Keith outscoring Doughty, is the difference between the two teams.

So basically the Hawks have Patrick Kane, and the Kings don't. It figures that Kane got the hat trick in Game 5, including the series clinching goal.

Bottom line: Chicago has more difference makers than us. They step up when they need to, ours don't. (paging Mr. Brown)

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Bottom line: Chicago has more difference makers than us. They step up when they need to, ours don't. (paging Mr. Brown)

Speaking of Brown, was on an Facebook hockey page today....WOW, there sure is a lot of hate for Brown out there!

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
yes

#1 reason - J. Quick
#2 reason - center depth
#3 reason - Kings D

when our boys are on their game, they can take on anyone in the league. they just cant seem to get their legs against Chicago....that and Toews gives LA fits, especially my boy Kopi. the key to beating Chi is shutting Toews and his line down

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Kings are #30 in the NHL with a shooting percentage of 4.7%.

Until the Kings can score goals, they not only do match up well with Chicago,
and they may not make the playoffs.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The Kings are #30 in the NHL with a shooting percentage of 4.7%.

Until the Kings can score goals, they not only do match up well with Chicago,
and they may not make the playoffs.

I'm seeing 7.7%, unless you're talking about over the last few games.

Things will equalize. Our advanced stats are suggesting we're on the edge of a positive boom while many of our opponents are about to trend down (STL and ANA, I'm looking at you!). I'm not worried about making the playoffs (yet); I'm worried about our matchups and home ice.

But you're right, we need to find ways to manufacture offense against Chicago and I'm hoping we tweak the system to do it. I know on one hand you don't want your opponent to dictate your strategy, but on the other, the definition of insanity is...

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
If our guys play like they have shown in the past, we should crush Chicago.

Chicago has *gasp* faced no adversity and if the Kings play 2012 style, especially Mitchell and Brown, we can frustrate them out of a series.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
No we don't. We can't match their depth and speed.

I think we can match them, but it's up Sutter to come up with a game plan and make the proper adjustments as the game goes on. I swear, sometimes it's like he doesn't even bother to look at game tapes as how other teams have beaten them. They are beatable, it's not easy but they can be beat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad