Do the Kings Have What it Takes to Beat Chicago?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1581329

Everyone wants to point out how we can't beat Chicago because we lost to Detroit

Well the Kings can't seem to beat Chicago because Chicago consistently beats the Kings. They came into LA last year and scored three 1st period goals on banner raising day. They came into LA, where the Kings had the best regular season record at home, and a 8-0 home record in the playoffs, and took Game 4 last year, without Keith in the lineup. This year they again scored three 1st period goals on the Kings when the Kings were still in a no goals in the 1st period stretch.

The Hawks pretty much own the Kings right now.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Well the Kings can't seem to beat Chicago because Chicago consistently beats the Kings. They came into LA last year and scored three 1st period goals on banner raising day. They came into LA, where the Kings had the best regular season record at home, and a 8-0 home record in the playoffs, and took Game 4 last year, without Keith in the lineup. This year they again scored three 1st period goals on the Kings when the Kings were still in a no goals in the 1st period stretch.

The Hawks pretty much own the Kings right now.

The scores were 3-1, and 1-0, bounces go the other way, so does the score,

That's like saying TB is better than CHI, because TB is 2-0 against them, etc.

If the only thing you want to do is look at the score, then fine, stop playing the game and give the Cup to CHI, if you enjoy the actual game itself and the nuances that it brings, then keep playing....

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Here's the problem though,

It's the SAME ARGUMENT in 2011-2012,

We need more scoring, we don't score, our guys aren't talented etc,

Now yes, they did go out and pickup Jeff Carter, so, we have essentially, the same team from 2011-2012, with Jeff Carter, the same team that won the cup,

And we still get the same complaint from the same fans, we don't score, etc etc, well, they weren't scoring when they won the cup as well,

Like I said and have said and will continue to say, the CHANCES are there, that's what you need, eventually they will start to bury them, until then, enjoy the games.

Just tell me this: with our current roster, can we defeat the hawx?

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm not happy with just making it to the conference finals. We need to get past the hawx and I don't see it happening with our current roster.

But like I said, I will remain patient and keep the faith that DL take care of business when need be.

Last edited:

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm not happy with just making it to the conference finals. We need to get past the hawx and I don't see it happening with our current roster.

But like I said, I will remain patient and keep the faith the DL take care of business when need be.

Let me ask you this though: Do you think that it is solely a roster problem when it comes to beating the Hawks (etc) or could it be coaching and the manner in which we use our roster (or our game plan etc)?

I mean with Vey Nolan TT and Pearson in the line up (and also with actually playing Martinez) I like our chances against the Hawks so long as we set and allow our lines to Gel.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

But like I said, I will remain patient and keep the faith that DL take care of business when need be.

Absolutely, unless you are telling me that a 1-0 win is the epitome of domination.

You don't think a bounce goes the other way in that game, and we win?

I think LA-CHI playoff series will be one helluva war.

Chicago is 19th in goals against, 1st in goals for,

Defense dictates the playoffs, I absolutely believe that LA can beat CHI in a 7 game series...

Why don't you?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Defense dictates the playoffs, I absolutely believe that LA can beat CHI in a 7 game series...

Why don't you?

You're kidding, right? Why would any sane Kings fan, at this point in time, NOT be overly concerned about facing the Hawks in the playoffs?

They made us look foolish in last years WCF, and have done just that in about every regular season game of the past two seasons.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
You're kidding, right? Why would any sane Kings fan, at this point in time, NOT be overly concerned about facing the Hawks in the playoffs?

They made us look foolish in last years WCF, and have done just that in about every regular season game of the past two seasons.

Again,

I reiterate, 1-0, and 3-1.

Tell me again how we looked foolish? If the bounces change, and we hit the net instead of a post, etc,

The way you are talking, just give them the cup and hang up the laces, seems to me thats the only thing thats going to appease you.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Let me ask you this though: Do you think that it is solely a roster problem when it comes to beating the Hawks (etc) or could it be coaching and the manner in which we use our roster (or our game plan etc)?

I mean with Vey Nolan TT and Pearson in the line up (and also with actually playing Martinez) I like our chances against the Hawks so long as we set and allow our lines to Gel.

I think it's little bit of both. I think Kompon being on the opposing bench has been beneficial to the hawx, no doubt. Conversely, Sutter and his lineup decisions have hurt our chances.

Would guys like Pearson, Vey etc help against the hawx? Absolutely! To me, the line of Pearson-Vey-Toffoli would be perfect lineup against the hawx. I just don't think Sutter thinks along the same line.

I absolutely believe that LA can beat CHI in a 7 game series...

Why don't you?

Not at the moment, no.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think it's little bit of both. I think Kompon being on the opposing bench has been beneficial to the hawx, no doubt. Conversely, Sutter and his lineup decisions have hurt our chances.

Would guys like Pearson, Vey etc help against the hawx? Absolutely! To me, the line of Pearson-Vey-Toffoli would be perfect lineup against the hawx. I just don't think Sutter thinks along the same line.

Not at the moment, no.

But why not? For what reason?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Again,

I reiterate, 1-0, and 3-1.

Tell me again how we looked foolish? If the bounces change, and we hit the net instead of a post, etc,

The way you are talking, just give them the cup and hang up the laces, seems to me thats the only thing thats going to appease you.

Forget the scores, I've watched every one of those games and they aren't pretty. I've said it before, for whatever reasons, CHI makes the Kings look like a below average team.....and below average teams aren't usually going to win 4 out of 7 games.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Better question is, what makes you think that we can?????

Have you watched any games this year against the hawx?

Yep,

The 1-0 game, and parts of the 3-1 game, that 1-0 game, a few breaks here and there, we win that game, and then...what's the argument, we can only win games 2-1?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Better question is, what makes you think that we can?????

Have you watched any games this year against the hawx?

This is the 1-0 stats,

SHOTS BY PERIOD
PERIOD LAK CHI
1st 6 6
2nd 15 11
3rd 5 13
Total 26 30
TEAM STATS
CATEGORY LAK CHI
Power Plays 0/2 0/3
Hits 45 30
Faceoff Wins 27 41
Giveaways 2 8
Takeaways 2 8
Blocked Shots 8 13
Penalty Minutes 6 4

Win more faceoffs, less giveaways, that's a completely different game,

That is the point that you seem to gloss over, puck luck is a huge factor in games, to simply deny that is to deny the nuances in the game...

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
This is the 1-0 stats,

SHOTS BY PERIOD
PERIOD LAK CHI
1st 6 6
2nd 15 11
3rd 5 13
Total 26 30
TEAM STATS
CATEGORY LAK CHI
Power Plays 0/2 0/3
Hits 45 30
Faceoff Wins 27 41
Giveaways 2 8
Takeaways 2 8
Blocked Shots 8 13
Penalty Minutes 6 4

Win more faceoffs, less giveaways, that's a completely different game,

That is the point that you seem to gloss over, puck luck is a huge factor in games, to simply deny that is to deny the nuances in the game...

Judging by those stats, I think your logic is flawed. Instead of thinking the game could have gone either way since it was only a 1-goal difference, I'd be more inclined to say the difference in goals should have been bigger.....in favor of CHI!

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I think the 5-13 shot count in the 3rd says it all. CHI shut the Kings down when it counted the most, not many teams have that ability to shut the Kings down like that.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think the 5-13 shot count in the 3rd says it all. CHI shut the Kings down when it counted the most, not many teams have that ability to shut the Kings down like that.

So then by that logic,

SHOTS BY PERIOD
PERIOD CHI MTL
1st 7 10
2nd 8 12
3rd 5 12
OT 0 4
Total 20 38

MTL is better than CHI?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The Wings have been our daddy for several seasons too.

Yeah, the Wings can go even further east if they want.

The scores were 3-1, and 1-0, bounces go the other way, so does the score,

That's like saying TB is better than CHI, because TB is 2-0 against them, etc.

If the only thing you want to do is look at the score, then fine, stop playing the game and give the Cup to CHI, if you enjoy the actual game itself and the nuances that it brings, then keep playing....

It's been more than the score.

But the score is:
2-8 in the last 10 games against the Hawks
1-4 in the regular season, 10 goals for(2.00), 16 goals against(3.20)
1-4 in the playoffs, 11 goals for(2.20), 14 goals against(2.80)

Quick:
1-2 in the regular season, 4.04GAA, .857sv%
1-4 in the playoffs, 2.80GAA, .897sv%

In those 10 games, the Kings have scored more than 2 goals 3 times. Twice in wins, and in Game 5 last year that went to double OT. On the flip side, Chicago has scored 3 or more goals in 7 of the 10 games, and are 6-1. In the 3 games that they scored 2 or less, they're 2-1. Unfortunately, Quick hasn't been the difference against Chicago. Not in the good way anyway.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
So then by that logic,

SHOTS BY PERIOD
PERIOD CHI MTL
1st 7 10
2nd 8 12
3rd 5 12
OT 0 4
Total 20 38

MTL is better than CHI?

Not necessarily, but it might mean that MTL is better than the Kings! ;-)

In all seriousness, those stats might be indicative of the difference in team speed that a team like MTL has over the Kings.

Anyways, whatever dude, I'm glad that your sold on the idea that CHI is more than beatable. I think you're in the minority around here.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Creating a new thread to consolidate some of the posts/discussion that have taken place across a few threads.

Have fun ;)

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
In the last 10 games against Chicago, regular season + playoffs:

Voynov - 10GP, 2G, 5A, 7Pts
Kopitar - 9GP, 2G, 3A, 5Pts
Carter - 10GP, 1G, 4A, 5Pts
Richards - 7GP, 3G, 1A, 4Pts
Williams - 10GP, 2G, 2A, 4Pts
Doughty - 10GP, 0G, 3A, 3Pts
Brown - 10GP, 1G, 0A, 1Pt

Toews - 10GP, 3G, 8A, 11Pts
Kane - 10GP, 6G, 3A, 9Pts
Keith - 9GP, 1G, 8A, 9Pts
Hossa - 9GP, 5G, 2A, 7Pts
Seabrook - 10GP, 2G, 4A, 6Pts
Sharp - 9GP, 3G, 2A, 5Pts

The Kings have 21 goals for as a team in those 10 games. The Hawks have 30 goals for. The 7 players listed for the Kings account for 11 of those 21 goals. The 6 players listed for the Hawks account for 20 of their 30 goals. The rest of the Kings team has scored 10 goals. The rest of the Hawks team has scored 10 goals.

The Kings don't get enough goals out of their top guys against Chicago.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
If the Kings fix their offense they'll have a good shot. That with the way the new playoff format works Chicago isn't going to look near as good after the Blues beat the crap out of them.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
In the last 10 games against Chicago, regular season + playoffs:

Voynov - 10GP, 2G, 5A, 7Pts
Kopitar - 9GP, 2G, 3A, 5Pts
Carter - 10GP, 1G, 4A, 5Pts
Richards - 7GP, 3G, 1A, 4Pts
Williams - 10GP, 2G, 2A, 4Pts
Doughty - 10GP, 0G, 3A, 3Pts
Brown - 10GP, 1G, 0A, 1Pt

Toews - 10GP, 3G, 8A, 11Pts
Kane - 10GP, 6G, 3A, 9Pts
Keith - 9GP, 1G, 8A, 9Pts
Hossa - 9GP, 5G, 2A, 7Pts
Seabrook - 10GP, 2G, 4A, 6Pts
Sharp - 9GP, 3G, 2A, 5Pts

The Kings have 21 goals for as a team in those 10 games. The Hawks have 30 goals for. The 7 players listed for the Kings account for 11 of those 21 goals. The 6 players listed for the Hawks account for 20 of their 30 goals. The rest of the Kings team has scored 10 goals. The rest of the Hawks team has scored 10 goals.

The Kings don't get enough goals out of their top guys against Chicago.

So essentially, the top King players have to play like the top King players,

I don't think anyone is disputing that....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad