Do the Kings Have What it Takes to Beat Chicago?

MynameisKing

Sep 29, 2010
GB
Who are the Hawk killers on Kings roster? Because, the Hawks have a BUNCH of King killers on their roster! Especially Hossa and Sharp!

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
They have a great defensive game, and goal tending. But the power play, and lack of even strength goals will kill them.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
Interesting event tonight.

An evening with Coach Q and his staff this evening at the UC. I was one of about 100 area amateur coaches that were able to attend. Open Q & A with most of the coaching staff.

1st was Q
He didn't reveal much of interest, because people kept asking him more questions based around personnel. Didn't get much into the behind the scenes info that would really pique anyone's interest around here.

The one thing he talked about I found interesting was that when it comes the staff talking to and working with the players, they keep the discussion and message as short as possible. He credits the players for having the drive and desire to listen and learn. He talked about how each team and staff is different, but what he's learned and wants to avoid is players shutting them out. This is how he combats this part of the coaching equation.

When it comes to practice and on ice, he mentioned they try keep the guys off and away from the ice as much as possible so they stay fresh.

He mentioned ANH and playing them tomorrow night. Said they are playing some very good hockey, and left it with "tomorrow night we will see how well they are playing". To me it seemed like a jab which makes sense. They own the SC at this point and are still the team to beat.

He was asked about T Teravainen and what he thinks. He's seen him in limited practices, but he said its apparent the kid right now sees, thinks and has skills at a top NHL level. He said the kid's hockey IQ and vision are just amazing. When asked about timeframe he said he doesn't know, but he needs to add bulk. He may be mentally ready, but physically he isn't.

2nd was Kitch and Weekes
Kitch runs the D and the PK unit. I felt he was the most engaged and offered the best insight into how/what they do - well that would interest me and you.

The BH's D has the green light to activate all the time. Obviously stupid pinches don't count. He said though they want their D active all the time and will make 'hit and run' passes to the tops of the circles all the time. It isn't any one D man but the entire 6 man unit. They want to create confusion high in the zone and breakdowns.

The BH's D also is to follow the puck up ice at full speed. He said he wants his guys once they make that up ice pass to be at 100% and in support. He doesn't want them in cruise control coming up the ice.

The BH's PK unit has evolved since last season. He acknowledged they struggled at the beginning of this year and it was largely because the forwards were different. He said the loss of Bolland, Handzus and especially Frolik really changed the dynamic of the group.

He mentioned Frolik especially and talked about how well he performs on the PK because of his aggressiveness and speed. To me it really sounds as though his departure had the most impact, based on his descriptions and the way he was describing him.

The 'evolution' that has taken place is the result of the lost players, the current mindset and the early season struggles they faced. Last season their PK was based entirely being in the shooting lanes and blocking shots. They weren't doing that this year and the guys weren't and still at this point in the year aren't 100% committed to blocking shots. So he said they have been evolving their PK to fit.

He said they are now playing a more aggressive pressure overall, but especially up top. They don't want to let the PP unit settle in ever and will force pressure. Instead of waiting for and blocking shots, they try to eliminate them from happening.

The one PP formation they struggle with currently is a 1-3-1 setup. He said based on the style of PK they are playing that this setup is difficult for them to defend. The counter is they play aggressively at the blue line to prevent the PP unit from getting established.

Weekes is their G coach
Much of the questions were entirely about teaching, training keepers.

Of note was when he was asked about Raanta. He said the kid is really bright and super competitive. Talked about how he knows immediately when he makes a mistake, whether the puck is in the net or not. He knows exactly what Weekes will review with him in video sessions. He said for a young kid he is dialed in mentally.

3rd was Kompon and Coleman (iirc)
Coleman is their S&C coach, so not going to discuss

Jamie - wish we had the chance to talk after, so I could ask. This year they didn't have the pre/post time to just chat with them 1on1...dammit!

'Guidelines' it is a term he used a few times and also Kitch. When asked about what they do, or people wanting to know about systems/plays they didn't answer. Instead they said "the guys have guidelines". They wouldn't go into specifics about what certain players are to do and not to do. The only guy he mentioned was Shaw. Shaw's guideline is to be in front of the net 100% of the time and if he gets the puck move it to one of the other guys.

Movement. "Success on the power play is due to movement". His philosophy is the puck never stops or slows down. In order to gain the advantage the PP wants there has to be constant puck and player movement. He stressed that today once you allow a PK unit to settle into place in today's game it becomes almost impossible to score. Thus it is all about constant motion to create the mismatch or advantage, so the PK can't settle.

Beyond the movement piece he said they don't want to do anything that restricts the player's creativity. Play within the 'guidelines' that are set, but then let the player's creativity and instincts take over.

He referenced a study Terrry Murray did I think back in the 80s when it comes to point shots and how it leads to goals 72% of the time, while on the PP. They analyzed the same thing back iirc in 2007 and the result was yet again 72%. Essentially anything coming from the point once he broke it down - tips, rebounds, etc. Wasn't entirely sure where he was trying to go with it, because he didn't draw a direct correlation to any one thing they do. Found it interesting though he brought up TMu

Will add more if i recall it, but think this is most everything.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
i know what i forgot

Kompon said right now they are battling some mental fatigue. this was on the heals of the S&C coach talking about the non-Olympic players time off and resting themselves. Kompon then said how it was important for them to get away and rest their minds. as of yesterday i think he said they have played something like 120+ games in the last 365 days.

as a result the team as a whole is fighting mental fatigue. draw this back again to what Q was saying about keeping any and all talks with the players short and to the point.

what he didn't talk about or speculate was what the added games and pressure will mean to the 10 guys from the BHs going to Sochi.

it will be no different than our guys.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Ok, I'll re-evaluate. Do they potentially have what it takes? Sure. They just aren't showing it game in and game out, and no matter what you think, your effort in January DOES matter in the post-season, when it comes to digging down and KNOWING the resources are there instead of HOPING they're there.

GODS I hope they can find that more reliably before the tournament starts.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Look good vs. the Ducks, Sharks, Blues. Just suck vs. the Hawks. Mediocre vs. Avs. Home ice, of course, is clutch.

sun-setting-into-sea.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad