Speculation: Do the Kings extend GM Blake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Does Blake deserve a Raise,new contract...well yes and no...Didn't and haven't liked how he decided against popular wisdom to throw all our elite prospects to the "Farm" which is an asinine way to build. But the Kings look like they are coming alive? Didn't like some of Blake's moves though the Lemieux one seems a good one for the 4th line,while the Andersson one is still unfolding. Keeping Petersen instead of Campbell and getting value for him and Clifford were good trades. The Muzzin yielded the Kings a top 4(Bjornfot) D-man,a versatile Winger in Grundstrom and an Offensive D-man in Durzi. The signing of Edler helped stabilize the youngsters on the back-end while the Danault signing brought Defensive and faceoff acumen to the 2nd line even though it seemed like a overpriced contract in value and term. Danault is a team player and his play rubs off on others...So my biggest bitch is having all our prospects developing at the "same" time in Ontario where they are competing against each other. After year 3 some will be cast-off while some will be 4th liners or maybe 3rd liners...not exactly what you want from top draft choices! Would have liked to have Blake temper his excitement with some logic of getting players into situations where they are playing the most on their respective teams and with optimal development curves...Fagemo, Kupari, Madden, Turcotte, JAD, Vilardi, Clague...And Blake will do what with Chromiak and Faber next year? Hope they leave Simontaival and Lee alone and let them percolate for another season or two/three...Byfield is another matter...Leave the players or suggest the best course for them is not to turn pro so soon because of what agents, father's or Blake wants or say. Turn pro at the NHL level when your body development/skills meet up with Maturity(22-23 years old) ala T Selanne,P Forsberg to name but a few...better than to have 6-7 end up on the scrap heap of broken dreams...If you don't believe me ask a guy like D Chyzowski(2nd OA 1989)...who turned pro at 18 and regretted it...the money will always be there...the players have to put themselves in the best possible position to be long serving NHL pros and not Minor leaguers with the occasional NHL call up...so there's my take

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Oh I forgot the Arvidsson signing...A good one even if the Kings gave a up a 2nd and 3rd rounder...he's done wonders with Kempe and his maturity and approach level at competing nightly,daily by the shift, each period and OT,on the PP,PK and Regular shifts! Victor has been the tonic for the young Swedish forwards

Reactions: kinghock

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Makes things a little interesting with Marc Bergevain in the fold now.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The rumor is Bergevin gets a 3 year AGM deal at the end of the year, so assume that would match 3 years for Blake.

Reactions: kinghock

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
This is just so comical. 0 playoff wins in 4 (going on 5 years) and gets a 4-5 year extension.

Remember how we used to all make fun of the good old boys Oiler hires over the years?

Well, jokes on us. I just hope Blake leaves some nice pieces for when Brown takes over the GM role in a couple of years.

Last edited:

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
wonderful!

taste a wildcard slot for the first time and backpats and contract extensions for all!

The decision had to be made, and you can hardly blame him for a pandemic shutting-down Junior hockey for a year, and tremendously limiting the AHL, if the kids can't play, who are we to expect them to develop at any certain speed?

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Odd that Blake says we’ll worry about the contract talks later after the season.

Flash forward a couple days later, Kings hire a clown for AGM and the leaks already started.
He had to give an answer of sorts if he wasn’t in a position to answer it at that point. Stuff always leaks out unfortunately, every team, every sport.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Odd that Blake says we’ll worry about the contract talks later after the season.

Flash forward a couple days later, Kings hire a clown for AGM and the leaks already started.
If the Bergevin hire was announced & Blake didn't have an extension announced the interweb speculation would have gotten out of control. May have wanted to wait on announcing Blake's extension.

Reactions: kingsfan

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
wonderful!

taste a wildcard slot for the first time and backpats and contract extensions for all!
I am waiting to see if the Kings return to the failed philosophy of "just get in, and anything can happen".

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Perhaps this is only an agreement made in principal? The principal being the '22 playoffs

Doubtful. The protocols can continue to put holes in an already thin & inexperienced roster, not exactly fair to say "it's your fault we didn't make the playoffs, because guys were out with a cold" (it's a joke, relax people)

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005

I love it that he said that straight to that clown Hoven on his show who never saw this coming. Looks more like an outsider than an insider to me.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think we can close this one now since the discussion is happening in the roster, bergevin, and blake extension threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad