Speculation: Do the Kings extend GM Blake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Hes still using the old cake that was in the pan already and trying to add icing and shit even though its just about stale. He may end up overcooking it and burning the whole thing anyway.
Only teasing though

20.jpg

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
He’s going nowhere, he’ll have another 5 years to see his drafting/development through. If by the time we’re not a near contender then it might be time to can him..
What this team needs is a real coach, one of the Murrays(Andy-Terry).. meaning we need a young coach whose willing to think outside the box not the same recycled mess

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
With the team pushing for a playoff spot this season, and if they are still there at the end of the season, it buys them at least one more year.
But if they don't make the playoffs next season, I think everybody is gone. From Luc/Blake to all the assistants, and development staff.
Well maybe not Luc, cause he's so charming.
I am thinking of flying out to LA to hang a "Fire Him" sign around the neck of his statue.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Unless the team just completely has the wheels fall off between now and the end of the year and they end up lottery again, I don't see them not extending him. But I think given the strength of the prospect pool and Covid has bought him some time. His next contract shouldn't be more than 4 year, ideally 3 years. But at the end of the day, results have to matter. We were sort of lucky to still be in the playoff hunt last year because the teams ahead of us weren't winning and I think that 1 playoff appearance while getting swept and no serious improvement I think questions do need to be asked, of not just him but Luc as well.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
My personal thoughts before the season were this: if the Kings aren’t playing meaningful games in March/April, then it’s time for Blake to go.

From the looks of it, they will be in the hunt….and I’ve been very impressed with the teams overall play this season, they are fun to watch.

Blake isn’t going anywhere.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
My honest feelings are in the middle. I am not thrilled with Blake, but I don't hate the moves he has made thus far. I have gripes with the development system we have, but our scouting seems to be good, our signings are solid, and Blake's trades have been decent and above. The impatience is growing amongst the fanbase obviously, but the team isn't falling on their faces and cratering. They aren't playing as well as we hoped and the prospects have progressed as fast as we hoped, but there are still positives to take away and some progress being made year after year even if the wheels are spinning a bit. The leash is thin. I don't see Blake making another 2-3 seasons if there aren't serious results seen here soon. If they re-sign him, I don't think they will turn around and fire him in 2023, but if things remain the same next season I can see him being shown the door in 2024.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Blake is just getting into the results part of his tenure, he's going to be extended. Probably 4 years, so prepare for that. It's obvious that ownership is on board with what he is doing, if they weren't there is no way he would be as patient as he has been. GM's who start feeling the heat make terrible, short-term moves which he hasn't. He hasn't made any moves of consequence at all recently, so there certainly isn't pressure.

This team is starting to look up, albeit slowly, which is still impressive when considering the steaming pile of shit he inherited. He's got a history here, but if you looked at his numbers anonymously it would be a no-brainer to extend him. To be around a ppg in year 5 of a teardown/rebuild from complete crap is pretty good, especially considering the prospect pool and the fact that the top picks of recent years aren't even in the lineup yet.

He hasn't done anything otherworldly but he's been solid through some tough circumstances and has done more good than bad. We could do a lot worse.

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
If Lombardi can be fired just 3 years after winning a cup, surely Blake can be fired for missing 4 years in a row. Also, The Plan was unplanned because they promised an immediate return to contention, so don’t use The Plan as an excuse. Stop pretending.

If they make the playoffs, or come close maybe a 2 year extension to match Todd’s remaining term? Another couple 6 game losing streaks and missed playoffs could wake up AEG into ordering Luc to make a change instead. In this case, I can see Luc adding GM to his title.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
If Lombardi can be fired just 3 years after winning a cup, surely Blake can be fired for missing 4 years in a row. Also, The Plan was unplanned because they promised an immediate return to contention, so don’t use The Plan as an excuse. Stop pretending.

If they make the playoffs, or come close maybe a 2 year extension to match Todd’s remaining term? Another couple 6 game losing streaks and missed playoffs could wake up AEG into ordering Luc to make a change instead. In this case, I can see Luc adding GM to his title.
yeah it's tough cause blake's playing the "win now" card, adding and promising to add more.. if they don't get it done he probably should be shown the door but i find it hard to believe it will actually happen

if they miss and bomb out of the rest of the season i'd hope AEG forces hands but yeah, luc seems in control somehow

Jun 30, 2006
If Lombardi can be fired just 3 years after winning a cup, surely Blake can be fired for missing 4 years in a row.

Well…that’s the thing. You’ll notice nobody in the LA media bring up that point because they are all bought and paid for by AEG. You can watch the introduction press conference on YouTube, they clearly stated their goals:

AEG Beckerman: “With the core players we have in place, we should be contending each year for the Stanley Cup. Our failure to meet these goals has led us to this change.”

Luc: “we thank Dean and Darryl. In the end this is about the LA Kings, it’s about winning the Stanley Cup….lastly we believe this team has the core to compete for the Stanley Cup….when you put on the Kings jersey it represents something special, it represents winning,

Blake: “The success this organization has had, Dean and Darryl took it to new heights. The opportunity that arose to come and get back to that level again is something you would only dream of.”

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
I will say that Blake has been very patient with this team. Not pulling off any stupid trades or stupid signings. He's brought in a lot of forwards and defensemen. Kind of just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. I give him credit for that. Could he have done some things differently? Sure. But GMs can screw teams up by making unnecessary moves. We are beginning to see the fruit of that labor and hopefully it'll translate into getting a couple more top 6 forwards from the prospects.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I can separate what he did as a player and Blake as a GM.

The kings are in a good spot. Top prospect pool that's starting to show the NHL ability. Good trades with Muzzin and Lemieux. Danault was a great pick up. Cap situation looks good. Still have a full complement of draft picks.

Sure the development could be better but Blake got one of the best talent developers available. If not for freak injuries to Doughty and Byfield, I think the Kings would be even better. Oh well.

I say 3-4 year extension.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
if they make the playoffs i think they do. overall think he's done a pretty good job but his biggest mistake is with hiring mcllelan

Reactions: Schrute farms

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I will say that Blake has been very patient with this team. Not pulling off any stupid trades or stupid signings. He's brought in a lot of forwards and defensemen. Kind of just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. I give him credit for that. Could he have done some things differently? Sure. But GMs can screw teams up by making unnecessary moves. We are beginning to see the fruit of that labor and hopefully it'll translate into getting a couple more top 6 forwards from the prospects.

Ilya Kovalchuk and Willie Desjardins to me were utterly idiotic moves. The Dion Phaneuf buyout also baffles me as we did it to free up cap space and then used it on no one in a season where we are clearly rebuilding. If we'd have waited a year to buy him out he'd be off our books this year, not next.

I agree with giving him an extension, even though I have a major dislike for him and ultimately don't think he's the guy to get us to the promised land. That said, the team is improving and until that stops he'll stay. Give him a two year extension.

Reactions: apocalypse

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I say extend 3 years. The Kings were not going to make the playoffs the past few years, no matter who the GM.

He has not had any bad trades...I wish could have kept Campbell...but Petersen seemed the next one and I do not recall anyone here saying "they should have kept Campbell, over Petersen. Still, got Moore in the deal.

If you grade the deals and signings, they are all good;

Muzzin for #1 (Bjornfot) Grundstrom and Durzi. Durzi - have never once seen a player that I want to have the puck, more than ANYONE on this team, in the first 10 games of his career. He's electric, with the puck AT ALL TIMES in all zones....Ceiling is HIGH. He has NOT been a liability on D. He's been awesome and just getting started Bjornfot is damn good, for a 21 yr old. Grundstrom is fine and could probably make all 32 teams as a 4th liner. Good player. Limited ceiling. Consider all 3 assets are NHL players in the deal.

No one has pointed this out: Yannetti said he was 50-50 on 2 players for the 2020 draft: Byfield - Stutzle. He then asked Rob which one he wanted - how he wanted to build the team. Rob said Byfield. This was the correct choice! Quinton looking awesome and is still 19 and about the bust on the scene. BIG POSTIVE for Blake.

Last 2 signings: Danault and Edler. Danault is awesome and worth the contract. Yes, even the term. Danault was sought after by Vegas and probably it took giving him the term he got. Not Blake's fault it may be a year too long...but it may not be. Danault can certainly play out the term. Many nights, he's the best player.
Edler has surpassed EVERYONE'S expectations. Period. And was just 1 year deal. Kings miss him.

Last 2 deals:

Arvidsson for a 2nd and 3rd. Say what you want - does not score enough, etc. He's been good. If not for his covid games missed, could have 10 goals and 15 assists by now.
At 8 goals 11 assists in 28 games is certainly good. Gives 100% and never plays a bad game. Good deal. The Kings do not need the picks, (they have 20 great prospects) more than a productive player at age 28.

Lemieux for a 4th. Are you kidding me? Can you imagine this team without him? The only tough player that can drop the gloves with anyone. Stand up for Arty, Lizotte and entire team. 7 goals (almost 8 last night) and the Kings record with him is unreal. He's good enough to play top 6, honestly. Would create room for Danault or Kopi and 20 goals would not be out of the question. Keep him with Arty and Lizotte...best line many nights. Kudos to Blake for getting him.

Finally, has not given up a prospect as of this moment. It's prudent, to give them all another year to see what they have. Too difficult to judge how good many will be: Spence, Grans, Thomas, Madden, Fagemo, etc etc. Big positive for not making a Cernak type of mistake.

Based on all of the above, he has not failed, or set the franchise back. He's put the team in a good position to have a good future and playoff team. Good times ahead. In fact, if he was let go, the next Gm would uber benefit from what Blake has assembled! Have 20 great assets to deal with...and they may not know their value, by not knowing them well and could blow it, honestly. Let Blake have 3 more years.

Last edited:

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal

79e9660dab7cc94c1e3a5370f7f3b637.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad