Do the Habs go into the season "Goonless"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
I think they will, and I don't think it will be an issue this season. Boston won't have a goon anymore. Guys like Lucic, McQuaid, Miller don't fight goons anyways so it wouldn't make a difference against Boston.

Toronto Will rarely play Colton Orr and when they do he won't be that much of a problem as long as a hab doesn't drop the gloves against him. Outside of those two teams there isn't a lot of pressure for the habs to "stand up" to mismatched fisticuffs... And when called upon, Prust, Tinordi, Weise and to a lesser extent Moen can drop em.

Unless things change with the habs two rivals... I doubt Bergevin makes finding a goon a priority.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Just hope it doesn't fall to Tinordi to be our heavyweight.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
I don't think they will get a 'goon' but I would like them to get one as the 13th/14th forward. Someone younger who can keep up a little better than Parros for the 5 -8 minutes of ice they get when needed. There are a ton of guys out there and they don't cost a lot. I think Bergevin should do it.

Someone posted a projected lineup earlier with Moen and Prust as the healthy scratches and let me tell you it would be about the softest, least gritty forward core this team has ever iced. It's nice that the Habs are starting to shed the 'small' label but ironically they seem to actually be a little softer going into this year than last year.

respect the D

Jan 27, 2013
agreed, if they are depending on Prust and Moen that is definately a bad choice. Moen is useless fighter and Prust has the skills and heart but the body is damaged goods as we have seen ove the past few years

izzy75

Nov 22, 2010
Say what you want about Murray (I liked him for the fear factor i.e. You touch Price/Subban, you deal with me) and Parros (I hated this acquisition, but he was willing to drop 'em), last year was the first year in a long time that our beloved Habs weren't pushed around.

Given Lucic's threats, and what seems to be a league wide strategy of "push the Habs around and they crumble", I sense another year of being pushed around.

Lovely :shakehead

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
Hopefully. A fourth line that can hit, score and defend is better than having a Neanderthal that has a hard time skating.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
I hope so, goons are useless in the league today. Parros made our team worse every time he dressed

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I think that a guy that can stand up to heavyweights is needed, but this team needs to sign its RFAs first.

That said, I don't understand why NHL teams don't take a slightly different approach to this, e.g.: having a few who are expected to scrap take judo or aikido. I can imagine that a guy with a black belt in aikido will give goons pause for thought, because any punch thrown could be used against the latter pugilist, with the former expert pulling on the lead hand, causing the opposing goon to lose his balance and possibly landing on his head. A team that takes this approach would effectively be adopting a disruptive technology that may completely uproot goon culture in the NHL.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Hoping bergevin learned from his Parros experiment.

What should he take away from that experiment? It wasn't that bad was it? I'm sure he could've gotten a little better if he could've played more and didn't get derailed by injuries twice, the first of which was a pretty unlucky injury. And it's not like the Habs had a horrible year last season due to carrying a 'goon'

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Given Lucic's threats, and what seems to be a league wide strategy of "push the Habs around and they crumble", I sense another year of being pushed around.

Lovely :shakehead

Right, right... You mean like the strategy where the bruins out hit and intimidated the habs to the point where... The habs eliminated them?

Or no you must mean the Rangers series when the Rangers destroyed the habs with... Speed?

Hmmm you may want to rethink that one

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Montreal was basically goonless for most of last year. Parros was injured a lot after the opening night fight with Orr and again later in the season. Even healthy he didn't dress much.

More and more teams are realizing that this type of player is useless and a liability in the lineup and are going with the middleweight who can actually play hockey instead, ala Prust, Moen and Weise.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Moen - god, no. Keep your gloves on. Please.

If Moen is an ineffective face-puncher, what does it make Weise? Please, for those suggesting Weise, he's a punching bag.

I too don't buy into the goon concept and think that a combo of Prust and Tinordi can hold the fort on most nights, when needed. Would have liked to see another gritty forward but not someone who can't hold a regular shift.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Weise is a terrible fighter and would get beat by most decent ones out there. He's a KO waiting to happen.

68*

An heavyweight on a two-way contract at least please. Keep him in Hamilton and call him up when we face teams like Ottawa that have nothing to lose.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
An heavyweight on a two-way contract at least please. Keep him in Hamilton and call him up when we face teams like Ottawa that have nothing to lose.

Two-way contracts only deal with salaries, not waiver eligibility... Every vet goon the habs would sign would have to pass through waivers before going back to the dogs

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I don't have a problem getting a fighter to be our 14th forward, absolutely don't want one in the lineup full-time however. Just a guy who can play the odd game when needed (10-15 games a year max), wouldn't mind having a guy like Staubitz for dirt cheap to fill our the roster, he seemed like he was well liked in his short time here and isn't THAT horrible of a player like Parros was.

Just tired of seeing Prust having to fight so often and I'd be surprised if Moen is still with us next year.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Not opposed to it but it seems less needed now than ever.

Of course we were supposed to get destroyed last year in the big bad Atlantic division with Scott and Thornton and Chara and Orr and McLaren and Neil and whoever else waiting to beat up our small forwards and we wound up coming out of the division despite playing 75% of the year with our enforcer in the hospital or the pressbox...so who really cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad