Speculation: Do the Ducks trade Vatrano at this year's deadline?

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Pretty much this. If he is going to get standard return then they are better off keeping him and moving him at the deadline next year.

Vatrano at 50% would be super valuable to a contender.

Better pony up.
If we could make the cap work, I would gladly pay good value to add those two vets to an already strong lineup.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think it makes a lot of sense. You could probably get a vet and a top prospect and pick
This is a rare situation for a player not known for more than 15-20 goals in any year
I could see this as a Lou player
No way, Vatrano is filler for bad teams and the only redeeming quality is his wrist shot. He’ll goes dark in the playoffs and get out muscled similar to Eberle.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Jets priority should be a centre, but man would he look good playing alongside Lowry and Niederreiter. He’d give that line a legit scorer.

We’ll take both Henrique and Vatrano. Make it happen Chevy.
What’s the offer

If we could make the cap work, I would gladly pay good value to add those two vets to an already strong lineup.
Ducks could retain on both and take cap back to facilitate.

Would be a very all in move for the jets, but jets have a strong chance to go through the west

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
The hagel to Tampa return
Agreed.

Anaheim would be silly to not cash out if the Hagel return is on the table. If not, so be it, but you have to move Vatrano if someone is willing to overpay accordingly.

I get that he's scoring and provides the "sandpaper" identity Anaheim seems to be building around, but he's a late-blooming winger having a career year. He's replaceable, perhaps even from within now that Gauthier is in the mix. If a 1st+ is on the table, you have to do it.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Who is he playing with and what's his role? Is he getting PP time, etc? I feel like this used to happen all the time with the Islanders. They would prop some guy up by giving him top line minutes and when they eventually traded the guy he slotted in as a 3rd liner and people wondered where the production went.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
What’s the offer

Ducks could retain on both and take cap back to facilitate.

Would be a very all in move for the jets, but jets have a strong chance to go through the west
Not the Jets fan that you were talking to, but I'd disagree that he's a fit because Neiderreiter is already a legit (mid 6) scorer on that line. I think the Jets should have little to no interest in any winger at the moment unless a can't miss deal falls into their laps (which won't happen with a guy playing as well as Vatrano).

Henrique will be a good discussion, but it's a little early to know who is available and what prices are looking like, so I think we'll be pretty far apart at the moment.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I seriously doubt it.

Henrique may be the best available center if Calagary doesnt trade Lindholm. There will likely be a lot of teams wanting to acquire him. He should get a 1st+ if that plays out.

Vatrano has scored 43 goals in the last year and a half on the second worst offensive team in the league, all while never getting #1 PP time. At 50% he will have a cap hit of around 1.8 mil for this year and next. He should be getting a Hagel level return. Maybe not 2 1sts but a 1st+good prospect or another pick.

I'm sure the Ducks would get more trading them seperately.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Not the Jets fan that you were talking to, but I'd disagree that he's a fit because Neiderreiter is already a legit (mid 6) scorer on that line. I think the Jets should have little to no interest in any winger at the moment unless a can't miss deal falls into their laps (which won't happen with a guy playing as well as Vatrano).

Henrique will be a good discussion, but it's a little early to know who is available and what prices are looking like, so I think we'll be pretty far apart at the moment.
Fair, I think Henrique is going to be a popular name at deadline

Solid at everything, good complimentary top 9 player that can move around line up , win face offs and play on pk and pp

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Vatrano, Killorn and Gudas won't be getting moved this season. It's a bad look for GMs to sign players to multi-year contracts and then trade them in the first year, especially when they're playing well like Vatrano.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He’s 29. How many more years does he have playing at this level? If the value is there, then I think it makes sense to move him then add in free agency, but I could see an argument either way. I just think he adds more value to a contender at his current play vs cap hit.

Ducks dont need him to play at his current level if they have a window, they can use future picks to get that. They need him to make sure their core players are developed properly to get that window open. This is what yzerman is doing with all his UFAs.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
This. Not sure how people are comparing the two.
Their production is very similar, their cap hit would be similar. Vatrano will be a UFA but he is only 29, not 34.

I don't think anyone is expecting 2 1sts but a 1st+ at 50% seems completely reasonable.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Hagel was 23 and two years to RFA, you're looking at closer to half that package
2 playoff runs + season

For an ideal middle 6 forward… that scores, kills penalties and plays with an edge.

Could def see him getting a 1st + solid piece, specially with potential retention and cap dumps

Evergreen

The Ducks absolutely should gauge the market for him at the deadline and, if not then, over the summer when teams have more flexibility. Unless they feel the value of having him to help with the development of their younger players outweighs the return in a trade, they should move him.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
No way, Vatrano is filler for bad teams and the only redeeming quality is his wrist shot. He’ll goes dark in the playoffs and get out muscled similar to Eberle.

Eberle has 19G/28A in his last 63 playoff games . . . nothing wrong with that

And Vatrano had 5G/8A in 20 games for the Ranger's last run.

What is wrong about those stats for either?

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
I wouldn't - he's been amazing on the ice but also really seems to fit with the personalities on the team as well

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Who is he playing with and what's his role? Is he getting PP time, etc? I feel like this used to happen all the time with the Islanders. They would prop some guy up by giving him top line minutes and when they eventually traded the guy he slotted in as a 3rd liner and people wondered where the production went.
His line, for the most part, has been LW with McTavish (C) and Strome (RW). It's the second line behind the Zegras or Carlsson line (which ever one isn't injured). Mac was really driving that line early but he hasn't looked as good since the injury and might be feeling it in his back still.

He plays on the "power play" 2 unit. I think that unit is Vatrano, Fowler, Silfverberg, Henrique, Strome? He also plays on the PK and I think he has a few short handed points?

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Minus 17 while piling up 21 goals on a Garbage bin : Garbage time mop up time for a last place team.

I would stay far away from Vtrano!

Henrique on the other hand is a reliable defensive centre with an even plus minus on the same garbage last place team.

2 nd round pick in 2025 for Henrique….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad