Speculation: Do the Ducks trade Vatrano at this year's deadline?

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Vatrano is currently having the best season of his career, putting up top 6 numbers while also killing penalties and being a physical presence. He has 2 years left, but do the Ducks take advantage of his good season and try to get a big return? What's more, he only make 3 million/yr PLUS Anaheim has flexibility to retain, so that will up his value further.

I know one could make the argument that they need vets to support their young players, but this feels like a good opportunity for them to sell high.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Vatrano is currently having the best season of his career, putting up top 6 numbers while also killing penalties and being a physical presence. He has 2 years left, but do the Ducks take advantage of his good season and try to get a big return? What's more, he only make 3 million/yr PLUS Anaheim has flexibility to retain, so that will up his value further.

I know one could make the argument that they need vets to support their young players, but this feels like a good opportunity for them to sell high.
I think it makes a lot of sense. You could probably get a vet and a top prospect and pick
This is a rare situation for a player not known for more than 15-20 goals in any year
I could see this as a Lou player

Reactions: BHD

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
The problem is that the Ducks would need back what they're trading away, a scoring winger. Their goalie situation has settled down to a decent 1a/1b pairing. They're very well stacked on defense that will be hitting in the next couple of years. Center is pretty well taken care of with Carlsson & MacT. Their biggest hole is the scoring role that Frank's providing this year.

So, I don't know. This would certainly be a good time to trade him, and with retention (why not, they've got the space), him at $1.5 million for two years should bring a really solid return. But an equally good argument could be made for keeping him for the vet presence & one of the team leaders in scoring, ushering in/providing the transition into the new era with all the youngsters presumably being NHL ready over the next year+.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Might not be a bad starting point. Taking on Goodrow is basically the retention. Obviously Goodrows value is a negative, but he could still bring some value for the Ducks. ANA would rightfully want another piece I’m sure… just not sure how sizable that would be.

NYR: Vatrano (no retention)

ANA: 1st, Goodrow, +

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Might not be a bad starting point. Taking on Goodrow is basically the retention. Obviously Goodrows value is a negative, but he could still bring some value for the Ducks. ANA would rightfully want another piece I’m sure… just not sure how sizable that would be.

NYR: Vatrano (no retention)

ANA: 1st, Goodrow, +
I feel like that + would need to be pretty big for us to take Goodrow back

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Ducks should keep him, they are past the be bad for a good pick stage. They should not be trading out top 6 guys with term at this point, that is how you become buffalo sabres 2.0
He’s 29. How many more years does he have playing at this level? If the value is there, then I think it makes sense to move him then add in free agency, but I could see an argument either way. I just think he adds more value to a contender at his current play vs cap hit.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
How was he last year? Is this play a cheat aberration or do you think he's actually matured this much as a player?

Vancouver has a lot of raises to pay out in the coming years, a productive top 6 winger for 3m would go a long way to extending their window a bit.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
He’s 29. How many more years does he have playing at this level? If the value is there, then I think it makes sense to move him then add in free agency, but I could see an argument either way. I just think he adds more value to a contender at his current play vs cap hit.
The Ducks need to add talent up front, not subtract. The recent trade was all about that. If they can't resign him to a reasonable deal they'll trade him next TDL. They're not going to get enough extra value this year to make it worthwhile. Yes he'll be worth the most this year but what do people realistically think the price will be this year vs next?

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
How was he last year? Is this play a cheat aberration or do you think he's actually matured this much as a player?

Vancouver has a lot of raises to pay out in the coming years, a productive top 6 winger for 3m would go a long way to extending their window a bit.
I think this year will prove to be a bit of an outlier, but 23-25 goals / 45-50 points for the next few years in a top 6 is realistic.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Vatrano is by no means untouchable, but I don't think anyone is getting him for a fair price either. He's been one of our few good, consistent vets... we need more guys like him. Plus Ducks need goal scoring which Vatrano brings.

If you look at the prospect pool, there is very little the Ducks really need. 4 kids that either are or project to be top 6 forwards (one of them a 1C), several guys that project to be top 4 D (could use a #1, but Vatrano won't get that), but Ducks are weak at winger prospects. Guess Ducks could ask for picks to try to draft one, but they don't have a great track record of drafting forwards out of the top 10.

giant 870

Jan 13, 2024
What about Vatrano to the Maple Leafs??
Ya, doubt this would ever happen, but it would benefit both teams.
Here is my thought, some sort of Vatrano for Marner trade. Yes, this is lopsided for the Ducks, but this would be a big cap dump for the Leafs. The Leafs need drastic cap relief and they need cap money to upgrade their defense. With 4 forwards making over 10 mil a year and a defenseman signed for six more years at 7.5 mil, they are never going to go far in the playoffs. They also have Brodie making 6.5 this year, although he will be a UFA next year. He might be another throw in for more cap space this year for them. With all that money tied up in just 5-6 players, they have no room for improvements anywhere else.

I think the Ducks would need to make sure Marner would sign an extension for the deal to go through. This would give them a high scoring player at RW on the front line. He has an A on his shirt. So the Leafs believe he is a leader. That could valuable for the progress pf the other 2 young players who will be on that front line. It would be an amazing front line for the next several years.

The Leafs get Vatrano who has 1 more goal this year than Marner does (as of right now). So they are not losing that much in scoring this year. Plus they have him for one more year on a cheap deal. Then they would have the cap space to try and upgrade their defense enough to maybe get them to the next level. That won't happen with where they are at right now.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
What about Vatrano to the Maple Leafs??
Ya, doubt this would ever happen, but it would benefit both teams.
Here is my thought, some sort of Vatrano for Marner trade. Yes, this is lopsided for the Ducks, but this would be a big cap dump for the Leafs. The Leafs need drastic cap relief and they need cap money to upgrade their defense. With 4 forwards making over 10 mil a year and a defenseman signed for six more years at 7.5 mil, they are never going to go far in the playoffs. They also have Brodie making 6.5 this year, although he will be a UFA next year. He might be another throw in for more cap space this year for them. With all that money tied up in just 5-6 players, they have no room for improvements anywhere else.

I think the Ducks would need to make sure Marner would sign an extension for the deal to go through. This would give them a high scoring player at RW on the front line. He has an A on his shirt. So the Leafs believe he is a leader. That could valuable for the progress pf the other 2 young players who will be on that front line. It would be an amazing front line for the next several years.

The Leafs get Vatrano who has 1 more goal this year than Marner does (as of right now). So they are not losing that much in scoring this year. Plus they have him for one more year on a cheap deal. Then they would have the cap space to try and upgrade their defense enough to maybe get them to the next level. That won't happen with where they are at right now.
Welcome to HFBoards Mrs. Vatrano! Hope you have all your cold weather clothing already.

Yeah

They're getting Barclay Goodrow!

cup champ, experienced vet for the young kids
More proof HF needs a down arrow too . . .

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Jets priority should be a centre, but man would he look good playing alongside Lowry and Niederreiter. He’d give that line a legit scorer.

We’ll take both Henrique and Vatrano. Make it happen Chevy.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
The hagel to Tampa return
Pretty much this. If he is going to get standard return then they are better off keeping him and moving him at the deadline next year.

Vatrano at 50% would be super valuable to a contender.

Jets priority should be a centre, but man would he look good playing alongside Lowry and Niederreiter. He’d give that line a legit scorer.

We’ll take both Henrique and Vatrano. Make it happen Chevy.
Better pony up.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
If they need a vet who can score goals coming back, maybe Kuz could be of interest. Obviously having issues with our coach but scored 40 last year and could be good with a change of scenery and perhaps less pressure. Could be a good complementary scorer to support the Ducks young players. He’s not a great forechecker or defender but he can score goals.

Vatrano and Henrique both at 50% for 2024 1st, 4th, Kuz, and maybe a B/C prospect if you want one.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

I think he's always been a shooter and he's in the right situation here to get ice time, powerplay time, succeed and play as much hockey as the coach wants him to play.

I'm not certain he finds a spot on a top powerplay, depending on which contender gets traded to. I also don't see him getting 20 minutes a night depending on said contender. 8 of his goals came in 3 different games. 6 more came on the powerplay after that. It's buyers beware if you're not already familiar with his game. With that said, he's always been a likably guy to have on your team from what I've read and the short period we had him (NYR). Great shot and not afraid to be a pest. So he's still valuable to acquire depending on what it would take, but expectations may need to come down. I think it's a great situation for the Ducks. They can attempt to sell high or just keep a useful player in their lineup while feeding him opportunities.

Reactions: Szechwan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad