Do the Columbus Blue Jackets make the playoffs with Gaudreau?

Do the Columbus Blue Jacket make the playoffs with Gaudreau?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It’s true…..it’s ok if winning to you is just making the playoffs
The question is "will they make the playoffs?"

They fact that he's carried the Flames to the playoffs 5 times tells me he's got the capacity to carry mediocre teams to the playoffs.

Reactions: aqsw and Monk

ijuka

May 14, 2016
According to some WAR roster calculators their division is going to have 5 top ten teams- Rags, Islanders, Pens, Caps and Canes.

So no. Maybe if it turns out the Islander fall off wasn't a 1 year fluke?
Those WAR calcs look so wildly off. Every team would be getting more points than 6 teams did last season, for example. And teams that clearly have improved will supposedly perform worse this season than the last. I wouldn't put too much weight on it.
E8Dd3Q8WYAUrZLV

This is from before last season. You can see Seattle, for example, getting 99 points, but they ended up with 60. Philadelphia with 100, but they ended up with 61. But well, it did get the cup winner right.

• Haha
Reactions: Rengorlex

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
You just sound butthurt he left your team. He had 21 points in 22 latest play off games, I don’t see how that qualifies as a bad play off performer
He had one good series in 5 yrs

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Those WAR calcs look so wildly off. Every team would be getting more points than 6 teams did last season, for example. And teams that clearly have improved will supposedly perform worse this season than the last. I wouldn't put too much weight on it.
E8Dd3Q8WYAUrZLV

This is from before last season. You can see Seattle, for example, getting 99 points, but they ended up with 60. Philadelphia with 100, but they ended up with 61. But well, it did get the cup winner right.

His model is super reliant on goalies, only thing he got wrong in the East was Philly over Carolina which was a difference of 5 points in that model. And he went 6/8 in the West with the only misses being Seattle over Los Angeles and Winnipeg over Dallas. That's not even bad from a projection standpoint.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Pretty open ended question, no?

This year? Next year? At any point at all with Gaudreau on the team?

Next year will still be tough, as the East is looking insane once again. None of the 8 teams that made playoffs last year got significantly worse(Outside of Toronto), while both Columbus and Ottawa got significantly better, Detroit also got better, and the Islanders are basically an all in team still.

But they've got an excellent young core now with a true superstar talent in Johnny, two if they can re-sign Laine now. That duo with a strong Center could form an elite top line.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
What is Columbus top 9 right now?

Gaudreau Sillinger Laine
Johnson Jenner Voracek
Nyquist Roslovic Bjorkstrand

Not bad..
If Laine is there I dont think Nyquist will be. Ive been floating around the idea of
Gaudreau-Jenner-Laine
Johnson-Sillinger-Bjorkstrand
Marchenko-Roslovic-Voracek
Texier-Kuraly-Robinson

Reactions: A1LeafNation

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
According to some WAR roster calculators their division is going to have 5 top ten teams- Rags, Islanders, Pens, Caps and Canes.

So no. Maybe if it turns out the Islander fall off wasn't a 1 year fluke?

The right answer. Not that I particularly believe those WAR calculators there, but everyone can see the Metro once again looks like fairly stacked at the top. Even if there's a lot of falloff, New Jersey look closer to taking advantage assuming their goaltending doesn't suck. Detroit and Ottawa are tooling up to try and take runs at wildcard spots on the other side too.

Real uphill struggle for CBJ.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
As OP didn't have "this season" I voted yes. I mean they should get there within his contract, but I don"t think quite yet.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Their RD is horrendous and their top centres are too young.

This team is going to be extremely exciting within 1-2 years though.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Unless Kent Johnston is ready to put up 80 points, I don't think Columbus has the center depth to make proper use of their talented wingers.

They were one spot out and added Johnny Gaudreau.

They have a decent chance. East is tough, though. Going with yes, since they had poor goaltending and didn’t have Johnny Hockey last season and almost made it anyways.

Reactions: thadd

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I see this team being really good in the future and are getting there but not this season

Pretty much this, their back end and goaltending plus super tough conference will hold them back next season.

They were one spot out and added Johnny Gaudreau.

They have a decent chance. East is tough, though. Going with yes, since they had poor goaltending and didn’t have Johnny Hockey last season and almost made it anyways.

They were 2 spots out and 19 points behind the #8 seed in the East.

They also lack a legit #1 center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad