Do the Avs Win the Cup with Jack Hughes instead of Bo Byram?

Avalanche win 2022 Cup with Hughes but no Byram?

• Yes

Votes: 138 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 22 13.1%
  • Yes, but not 2022

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • No they never get out of the 2nd round

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Significantly worse? Idk that seems harsh

And all was meant by that was Colorado would have two 1Cs locked up for a really long time, that would have been great stability for them when they were in 2017 if they took him 1st instead of Makar

Hirshier is awesome, so there’s no shame in saying he’s significantly worse then Makar.

Hockey Monstar

Oct 23, 2022
Hirshier is awesome, so there’s no shame in saying he’s significantly worse then Makar.
Hes obviously worse rn I just think 'significantly' should be reserved for the 3rd liner vs 1st liner type stuff. Plus one plays for a contender and one plays for whats been a rebuild team his entire time there (minus his rookie year where he helped Hall win an MVP)

If Hischier was in Colorado and Makar in NJ, maybe things turn out differently

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Hes obviously worse rn I just think 'significantly' should be reserved for the 3rd liner vs 1st liner type stuff. Plus one plays for a contender and one plays for whats been a rebuild team his entire time there (minus his rookie year where he helped Hall win an MVP)

If Hischier was in Colorado and Makar in NJ, maybe things turn out differently
The Av's only became a serious threat when Kadri and then Makar joined.

If Av's had Hischier during the 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 there is a good chance of the Av's going farther in those playoffs. would they have won the Stanley cup? I don't know.

Having Hischier probably means the Kadri trade doesn't happen so I wonder who the Av's would have traded for with Barrie and Kerfoot.

Guess it all comes down to who you would have gotten for the players above and how Essential you believe Makar was to the Stanley cup run.

edit- I guess the Av's probably wouldn't have drafted Newhook but I don't know who they would have drafted instead.

Hockey Monstar

Oct 23, 2022
The Av's only became a serious threat when Kadri and then Makar joined.

If Av's had Hischier during the 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 there is a good chance of the Av's going farther in those playoffs. would they have won the Stanley cup? I don't know.

Having Hischier probably means the Kadri trade doesn't happen so I wonder who the Av's would have traded for with Barrie and Kerfoot.

Guess it all comes down to who you would have gotten for the players above and how Essential you believe Makar was to the Stanley cup run.

edit- I guess the Av's probably wouldn't have drafted Newhook but I don't know who they would have drafted instead.
People who are ignorant will pretend like the team the player goes to doesnt matter 'if theyre good', and Makar is the first top-tier dman of the newest wave of dmen (Fox as well)

Luke Hughes, Simon Nemec, Jake Sanderson, Owen Power, David Jiricek, Simon Edvinsson, Brandt Clarke, Brendan Schneider, etc... and more to come

No Im not saying all of them are gonna be Makar-level early on in their career but for all we know one or multiple can end up better

The Makar hype has gotten ridiculous because the calls for greatness are beyond early considering all the best options to contest him below 25 are out of the league or just barely breaking in. Odds are pretty high one of those are as good or better (and here come Avs fans to explain how gis first three seasons means he cant ever be beaten)

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Purely swapping Byram for Hughes would have made the Avs worse. They might have still won but Byram was the Avs best Dman against Tampa.
Says who? Their defense was/is stacked even without Byram and yeah he was good but he wasn't the reason they won the cup last year. Imagine C and forward depth of Mackinnon/Kadri/Hughes/Rantanen/Nuke/Landeskog/Burakovsky with Makar/Toews/Manson/Johnson as your top 4. Not only do I think they win the cup still but they'd be better off going into this season as they have no real 2nd line center right now and its hurting them a lot.

jimmysheva

Mar 16, 2014
If we got Hischier instead of Makar, we might not trade Barrie at all. We would've had Hischier and Barrie instead of Kadri and Makar. Or maybe we would've traded Barrie and Kerfoot for Giroux.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Says who? Their defense was/is stacked even without Byram and yeah he was good but he wasn't the reason they won the cup last year. Imagine C and forward depth of Mackinnon/Kadri/Hughes/Rantanen/Nuke/Landeskog/Burakovsky with Makar/Toews/Manson/Johnson as your top 4. Not only do I think they win the cup still but they'd be better off going into this season as they have no real 2nd line center right now and its hurting them a lot.
Byram was the best Dman in the cup finals and they won. It's kinda hard to say what the actual results would have been with Hughes.

Reactions: avsfan09

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Not in 2022. Byram was a huge piece to that cup victory. Without him, and Girard due to his injury, they would have had too big of a hole on the left side of their defense.

Hughes wouldn't have been playing over Kadri at 2C, which would limit his impact. We're not the leafs here, a balanced forward and defense core is needed to win in the postseason.

Byram was the best defenseman in a cup finals series that featured names like Makar, Hedman, Toews, etc. His impact was huge in the last two rounds.

Last edited:

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I don't think people really get how good Hughes is right now.

Saying "no, Bo was too big of an impact" is illogical because Hughes didn't even get that chance.

Mackinnon > Hughes > Kadri would have been the most dominant 3 lines (and PP) we've seen since Crosby > Malkin > Staal.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I don't think people really get how good Hughes is right now.

Saying "no, Bo was too big of an impact" is illogical because Hughes didn't even get that chance.

Mackinnon > Hughes > Kadri would have been the most dominant 3 lines (and PP) we've seen since Crosby > Malkin > Staal.
Have to take into account Girard was injured so you’d have Jack Johnson on your 2nd pair without Byram.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Give me a break.

Is this McJedi’s second account ?
How come we suddenly have to read about Byrams all time greatness lately.
If your at the point where your recognizing is one fan and his/her enthusiasm is making you this petty/salty than you’ve probably had too much HF lately. Did an Avs player beat your favorite teams player in an internet poll? The horror.

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Not in 2022. Byram was a huge piece to that cup victory. Without him, and Girard due to his injury, they would have had too big of a hole on the left side of their defense.

Hughes wouldn't have been playing over Kadri at 2C, which would limit his impact. We're not the leafs here, a balanced forward and defense core is needed to win in the postseason.

Byram was the best defenseman in a cup finals series that featured names like Makar, Hedman, Toews, etc. His impact was huge in the last two rounds.
Hughes was drafted in 2019 so I doubt that they would have gone ahead with the Kadri trade. That means they probably could spend that money shoring up their defence. Would this unknown Defensmen helped the Av's enough to win the cup with Hughes? Nobody knows.

Tyler Myers was the biggest UFA defensemen available that year but its impossible to figure out who Av's might have traded for.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad