Do the Avs Win the Cup with Jack Hughes instead of Bo Byram?

Avalanche win 2022 Cup with Hughes but no Byram?

• Yes

Votes: 138 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 22 13.1%
  • Yes, but not 2022

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • No they never get out of the 2nd round

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
So.... I think winning the cup is always a below 50% proposition. Even getting to 25% probability to win is a major achievement. So I don't think it was likely that the Avs would win the cup with Byram to begin with.

But I don't think Jack Hughes instead of Byram hurts our cup chances. It probably just changes our focus from picking up someone like Lehkonen to picking up another LHD....

But it was also random that Girard was out... so maybe not.

Reactions: MaKarter

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
It would have created such a huge butterfly effect that there’s no way to really answer the question.

I think its very interesting that the Avs lost both 1st overall picks to the Devils however when they had the best odds at both the 2017 and 2019 1st overalls. Comparing the 4th overall defenceman in Makar and Byram vs the 1st overall centers in Hischier and Hughes is fun to look back on. Avs made the most of losing both lotteries and falling the furthest they could have both times.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It would have created such a huge butterfly effect that there’s no way to really answer the question.

I think its very interesting that the Avs lost both 1st overall picks to the Devils however when they had the best odds at both the 2017 and 2019 1st overalls. Comparing the 4th overall defenceman in Makar and Byram vs the 1st overall centers in Hischier and Hughes is fun to look back on. Avs made the most of losing both lotteries and falling the furthest they could have both times.

Well never actually know (unless hes on record like Burke was RE Morgan Rielly), but I wonder if Sakic takes Makar even if he gets #1.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I voted no as I value defence but now I'm reconsidering my vote. Look at the depth the Avalanche had last year. Kuemper in net. Kadri + Burakovsky alone bringing in 23 points together. The team was built to win last year. With or without Byram the Avs had a chance last year I imagine

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I really wanted Kakko. So thankfully the Avs lost out on 2nd and 3rd overall and Kakko and Dach were off the board by 4th OA.

Avs got lucky after getting screwed by Toronto. The league continues to find ways to make sure New Jersey defies all mathematical odds to win 3 lotteries since 2017.

Hughes is astronomically better than Bryam he paced for 94pts last year. Wtf is this thread lmao, one of the dumbest threads I’ve ever seen in my life
You realize you’re comparing a defender to a center based on point totals. So be careful with the use of the word dumb because well... something else is obvious to many of us that interpret your comment.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: EdJovanovski

Hockey Monstar

Oct 23, 2022
He is also significantly worse than Makar + the Avs desperately needed a top pairing Dman at the time
Significantly worse? Idk that seems harsh

And all was meant by that was Colorado would have two 1Cs locked up for a really long time, that would have been great stability for them when they were in 2017 if they took him 1st instead of Makar

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Hughes is astronomically better than Bryam he paced for 94pts last year. Wtf is this thread lmao, one of the dumbest threads I’ve ever seen in my life
Astronomically huh?

Yeah.. but also if you watched the actual playoffs and Cup Finals then you know Byram was crucial to the Avs win.

The thread was created because of the Avs vs Devils game tonight as well as a few margaritas. Carry on Ed.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Doubt it. Byram was the best defender in the SCF. They didnt have Girard either and their 3rd pairing was disgusting.

They didnt really need Hughes too but I guess with Kadri out it could work.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
If you rewind the time machine entirely they don’t win with Hughes but they also don’t with Byram again. This is a dumb thread. Talk about instant karma lol. When you mangle a perfectly simple question with a freight train of hypotheticals stay clear of the train tracks.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

To be fair pacing and actually scoring that much are two different things.

& if Hughes was on the Avs last year he probably wouldn't of had the same projections given Mack/Kadri had the top 6 centre jobs locked down.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I mean the Av's did play against a very tired team that were back to back champions in the finals. I think pretty much any team could have beat the Lightning. Av's fans shouldn't put much into winning the Stanley cup last year IMO.

.....What do you know, this is fun to do.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I mean the Av's did play against a very tired team that were back to back champions in the finals. I think pretty much any team could have beat the Lightning. Av's fans shouldn't put much into winning the Stanley cup last year IMO.

.....What do you know, this is fun to do.

Disagree. I'm not convinced the Oilers or whoever else from the west beat Tampa. It still took the Avs 6 games and there was only one blowout game in the series.

Reactions: Xirik

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
In order to win the cup you really need your best players either on a cheap bridge contract in a contract year, or locked in at a reasonable caphit to their production. Nichushkin, kadri, Burakovsky, Kuemperwere all on cheap deals in a contract year. add in Mackinnon still on a steal, makar at a very good 9 mil compared to his peers, this is what “the stars have aligned” looks like.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto

Whoa...imagine MacKinnon-Hughes-Kadri-Hischier up the middle, but without Byram or Makar. Would be a very different looking team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad