Dmitrij Jaskin and Ty Rattie

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
The Blues selected Ty Rattie [32nd] and Dmitrij Jaskin [41] as their first 2 selections in the 2011 Entry Draft. Both players have shown flashes of brilliance, but yet to show any true promise on their ceiling. Let's look at them both:

Ty Rattie:
Rattie is 23, RW [Right Shot], Offensive Winger. Since being drafted 5 years ago, he's yet to establish himself as a full time NHL player putting up 4 Goals and 8 Points in 26 Games. He's spent his time in the AHL [with Chicago] posting 96 points in 193 games through 2013-2016.
However in the 13 games, this kid was pretty good. Averaging less then 10 minutes a game, he had a pts/60 of 2.54, however a ridiculous 25% shot average which will go down. However if given a chance to actually play, maybe he can find some consistency and produce some points. His defensive game has been questioned but I don't believe he benefits from playing in the minors, on a bad [non-playoff] team. Should he be given a chance as a full time NHL player? Can he be part of the long term plan?

Dmitrij Jaskin:
The big 6'3" 204lb winger has shown flashes of brilliance but yet to bring a [reliable] consistent performance at the NHL level. He is more established then Rattie. He dressed in only 63 AHL games posting 46 points. His AHL performance has been unbelievable but yet to put up those numbers in the NHL. In 139 NHL games Jaskin put up 18 goals and 33 points. This year specifically he had just 13 points in 65 games unlike his 18 points in 54 games the previous year.
However couple things to note: He shot 4.4% this year compared to 11% in 2015. (5v5)
He had 1.04 pts/60 compared to 1.36 in 2014-15. His corsi stats are disgusting with 55.1CF% which is ridiculous. Ranks top on the Blues and tied for 52nd league wide with Joe Pavelski.
I think Jaskin will bounce back. His shot% was ridiculously low and let's say he shoots between 4.4% and 11% he'd shoot at 7.7% he would've had a few more goals.

So its clear both these guys do have potential. So question, can they play full time in a top 9 role and produce, what's their projection/ceiling, are they part of our plan and if they have a roster spot (Jaskin earns his back) who will they play with and what's your thoughts on them?

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
Others are and have quickly moved past them on the depth chart. Honestly, I don't see them as future pieces on this team.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
They have to earn the spots and I'm not very confident either one will. Jaskin looked promising last season but looked pretty brutal all year long minus a few games and he had ample opportunity to earn a spot on the team.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I thought Jaskin looked great with the Blues in the 14-15 NHL Season. This past season though was a big disappointment. I'm not sure where he stands with Hitch now after such a disappointing season. BUT, I would not count this kid out, who knows what caused his problems, maybe he had some personal issues to deal with or something because it sure looked like something messed up his game mentally. I wouldn't give up on this kid, he could still be a gem.

Now Rattie is another story. I don't think this guy will ever turn into a big time player in the NHL. I think he's too small, is unable to play physical, he definitely doesn't hound the puck all over the ice like Robbie Fabbri does. His shot power hasn't actually been impressive at the NHL level either. If Rattie has any marketability left then they should include this kid in the next big trade Armstrong makes.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I thought Jaskin looked great with the Blues in the 14-15 NHL Season. This past season though was a big disappointment. I'm not sure where he stands with Hitch now after such a disappointing season. BUT, I would not count this kid out, who knows what caused his problems, maybe he had some personal issues to deal with or something because it sure looked like something messed up his game mentally. I wouldn't give up on this kid, he could still be a gem.

Now Rattie is another story. I don't think this guy will ever turn into a big time player in the NHL. I think he's too small, is unable to play physical, he definitely doesn't hound the puck all over the ice like Robbie Fabbri does. His shot power hasn't actually been impressive at the NHL level either. If Rattie has any marketability left then they should include this kid in the next big trade Armstrong makes.
Maybe we can include him with Shattenkirk, wherever Shattenkirk goes [Rattie that is].

I agree Jaskin maybe had an off year and there is something we don't know. But he won't get better in the press box, where does he fit in?

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Maybe we can include him with Shattenkirk, wherever Shattenkirk goes [Rattie that is].

I agree Jaskin maybe had an off year and there is something we don't know. But he won't get better in the press box, where does he fit in?

Rattie is weaker than the weakest NHLer. His hands and shot are undeniably awesome, but he lacks the one ingredient that makes a hockey player into a NHLer; the will to be tough.

I have confidence that Jaskin will figure out the physical stuff and will get better. However, I thought all season long that he was dealing with something personal. It's the mental stuff that he needs to work on. Also, his "hockey IQ" is questionable, so he's seems a little handicapped (pardon the term) to start off.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Jaskin will find a full time spot in this league.i wish it'd be here but the jury is still out on that.as he's has been passed up a bit currently.Rattie it's tough,it seems like he may hop up n down from NHL/AHL during his career.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I still feel Rattie is an NHL player. He played well during everyone of his stints with the club, regardless if he was on the 4th line or 2nd line.

BleedBlueForever

Jun 24, 2015
Rattie played solid this year when he got to play I thought especially in his last call up. I think we need to keep jaskin. He may just need longer to develop as some power forwards need. I think if he can work on his skating and agility this summer he could be good.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
I guess I should rephrase. I still think they will be NHL players..just not here.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I liked Rattie when he was up with the Blues. Showed strong willingness to battle on the boards and he certainly has the skill level to succeed in the NHL. I think he has a good chance to make the team next year.

As for Jaskin, I'm going to be honest. I've given up on him. Everything about him is too slow for the NHL.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Small players can still excel in the NHL. Unfortunately for Rattie, he is small and slow.

The Blues coaching staff has been enthusiastic about Jaskin since he was a junior player. I doubt they have given up on him yet, but members of the staff have to be concernced about him. He appears to be too slow for the NHL game, and hasn't shown an ability to score except right in front of the net. For two years in a row now, Jaskin has a spot open for him on the third line, and he has been unable to seize it.

I wonder if Armstrong thought when he traded Oshie that getting Brouwer for a year was just about right, since Jaskin would be ready to step in when Brouwer's contract expired. If so, I doubt he thinks that now.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
who will they play with and what's your thoughts on them?

We know Jaskin and Rattie have played in AHL at same line and Lehterä worked well last year when he played with Rattie. So..

Jaskin - Lehterä - Rattie

or

Jaskin - Sobotka - Rattie

But Jaskin and Rattie have to develope in this summer coming in to camp.

There is so many difference makers can they really break through in to team.

If we success this post-seaon. People want to come here (UFA) and what about Backes, Brouwer and maybe Sobotka coming back? So Jaskin and Rattie position will be even tougher. I think this team need one more guy like Rattie I mean Fabbri, speedy gonzales who can score, create scoring changes and play physical game.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I wouldn't be surprised if either of them (if not both) are used in a trade over the summer. They aren't considered top prospects at this point, but there is certainly some value there. Jaskin is very likely to be at least a serviceable NHLer and his ceiling is higher than that. Rattie has a higher ceiling, but is probably less of a lock to be a long term NHLer. I like both players, but I wouldn't be too sad to see either go as part of a package.

If they are both still in the system next year, I would like both of them to be up with the NHL team all year battling each other for a 3rd line spot. We have a god enough roster to make the playoffs next year even with a mediocre 3rd line. After 50 games of them battling for the 9th forward spot, we should have a good idea if either can hack it next year. If not, we can add a forward at the deadline. If one of them steps up, we have a nice cheap option in our top 9. If we get lucky and both take the next step, well that is just a fantastic problem to have.

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
Jaskin - I have never been as high on him as most. I don't see anything that alludes to him being a late-bloomer. In my opinion, most of his success last year came as a result of his line mates and favorable bounces - and while there is value in a player that consistently can clean up the scraps from a broken play, I don't see Jaskin as that player. The types of goals he was scoring seemed largely luck-based and not a result of reading a play and ending up in a favorable position. I would love to be wrong, but I've never been impressed with him and don't expect him to breakout like some expect.

Rattie - I think he has potential to be an average, but not great, top 9 player. He seems to have natural goal scoring ability, but doesn't seem to be able to work his way into a position for him to capitalize on that skill in a play. He's likely going to round out as a nice complementary player who can pot a respectable amount of points a season, but obviously isn't going to be a take over the game when it matters type player. I think he'll end up as an NHL player, but I don't see it being with the Blues. What is his contract situation looking like? I thought his current contract was ending either this or next year, but I could be wrong about that. If that's the case, I don't know that I see is resigning him.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Jaskin - I have never been as high on him as most. I don't see anything that alludes to him being a late-bloomer. In my opinion, most of his success last year came as a result of his line mates and favorable bounces - and while there is value in a player that consistently can clean up the scraps from a broken play, I don't see Jaskin as that player. The types of goals he was scoring seemed largely luck-based and not a result of reading a play and ending up in a favorable position. I would love to be wrong, but I've never been impressed with him and don't expect him to breakout like some expect.

Rattie - I think he has potential to be an average, but not great, top 9 player. He seems to have natural goal scoring ability, but doesn't seem to be able to work his way into a position for him to capitalize on that skill in a play. He's likely going to round out as a nice complementary player who can pot a respectable amount of points a season, but obviously isn't going to be a take over the game when it matters type player. I think he'll end up as an NHL player, but I don't see it being with the Blues. What is his contract situation looking like? I thought his current contract was ending either this or next year, but I could be wrong about that. If that's the case, I don't know that I see is resigning him.

He is an RFA this summer and has absolutely zero leverage. It will only cost $875,000 to qualify him, which the team will absolutely do. There is simply no reason not to re-sign a 23 year old that has a decent chance of becoming an NHL player. He will probably want more than the qualifying offer, but he has no leverage to negotiate a contract worth much more than a million bucks per year. He has almost no NHL experience, so he will basically have to sign whatever offer is presented if he wants to keep playing pro hockey in North America.

It is a no-brainer to re-sign him, even if our intention is to trade him. We aren't just going to let an asset walk away when re-signing him will be easy and have little no no financial impact on the team.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I like Rattie a lot more than I do Jaskin, and really think Rattie can be a player in the NHL. He showed a willingness to battle along the boards and score garbage goals, something he was never able to do until this season.

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
He is an RFA this summer and has absolutely zero leverage. It will only cost $875,000 to qualify him, which the team will absolutely do. There is simply no reason not to re-sign a 23 year old that has a decent chance of becoming an NHL player. He will probably want more than the qualifying offer, but he has no leverage to negotiate a contract worth much more than a million bucks per year. He has almost no NHL experience, so he will basically have to sign whatever offer is presented if he wants to keep playing pro hockey in North America.

It is a no-brainer to re-sign him, even if our intention is to trade him. We aren't just going to let an asset walk away when re-signing him will be easy and have little no no financial impact on the team.

Yeah, like I said, I had almost no knowledge of his contract situation. If that's the case then I agree. I do think his best chance at sticking with an NHL team is with another organization, though I would love to see him grab a spot in our lineup for a meaningful stretch of games.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Yeah, like I said, I had almost no knowledge of his contract situation. If that's the case then I agree. I do think his best chance at sticking with an NHL team is with another organization, though I would love to see him grab a spot in our lineup for a meaningful stretch of games.

Yeah, I think he will eventually wind up as part of a package deal, but the question is whether that is this summer or down the road.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I don't see why Jaskin can't have a similar career to Troy Brouwer's.

35-40 point, 3rd line winger, plays physical, parks in front of the net, kills PKs, etc.

He may have to replace Brouwer next year if we re-sign Backes.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I'd keep Jaskin as a depth-player, but Rattie can go elsewhere as far as I'm concerned. Neither guy is likely long for the NHL, but I do believe Jaskin can at least serve a purpose as a checker with some skill...if he can get a bit quicker. Time is running out quickly for both of them though.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
One of them could probably be around as the 13th/14th forward who can play on the 3rd line in a pinch during injury situations, which is fine. But neither of them will be penciled into much more than that given how little they've proven. Wouldn't be surprised to see the other thrown into a trade.

Either way, neither of them are really anything to write home about... they're like a Matt D'Agostini. Showed a little bit of promise but overall just aren't that good and likely won't amount to much so it doesn't matter if we lose them.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I don't see why Jaskin can't have a similar career to Troy Brouwer's.

35-40 point, 3rd line winger, plays physical, parks in front of the net, kills PKs, etc.

He may have to replace Brouwer
next year if we re-sign Backes.

This is basically my hope for him. He'd look good next to Fabbri and Stastny because he plays a similar game.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I like Rattie a lot more than I do Jaskin, and really think Rattie can be a player in the NHL. He showed a willingness to battle along the boards and score garbage goals, something he was never able to do until this season.

I think he can be a regular 3rd Liner in The NHL. I'd like him to get a LOT stronger, and to improve his skating. Jaškin, I'd like to see improve his skating drastically, and work diligently on his shooting.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I'd say that both Jaskin and Rattie have 3rd line potential. Heck, they could be regular NHL 3rd liners right now...if they were in weaker organizations. But they're not. At least not yet. Perhaps one or both is traded this summer but neither is worth very much so I wouldn't be surprised if the Blues decide to hang onto them for depth. For all we know, both Backes and Brouwer could leave and the these two would then have a much better shot of making the team.

I'll note that both become waiver eligible at the start of next season so if they're not traded beforehand or don't make the team, the Blues might just lose one/both anyway. At the very least though, I think they're worth keeping around as 13th/14th forward types. They'll both be cheap and they've gotten to a point in their careers where it's fine for them to sit in the pressbox when everyone's healthy. I don't think either is going to make any big stride by playing top AHL minutes anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad