Player Discussion: Dmitri Voronkov

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
So, what’s the verdict on this guy ?

Do you prefer to keep him at C and have the experiment going or move him to a wing ?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
- How close to the truth is Dmitri Voronkov's return?

- There is a dialogue going on, we contacted him the other day. He wants to wait until the NHL season is over, meet with his parents, discuss and decide. His contract is valid for another year, but we have different options. We are always waiting for him, he can come back.

Voronkov is a homegrown type, he could easily return. Chinakhov has an agent who, as we say in Slovakia, drinks everybody's blood, he has a lot of influence on Yegor, may well have unrealistic demands and then want a trade. Shumi Babayev already did it. Marchenko's agent Dan Milstein is more reasonable

Last edited:

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

- There is a dialogue going on, we contacted him the other day. He wants to wait until the NHL season is over, meet with his parents, discuss and decide. His contract is valid for another year, but we have different options. We are always waiting for him, he can come back.
too bad boone jenner totally wants to – and therefore, by pascal vincent's logic, needs to play 24 minutes a night. otherwise voronkov would play more than 10 minutes and this wouldn't be a discussion at all.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Voronkov is a homegrown type, he could easily return. Chinakhov has an agent who, as we say in Slovakia, drinks everybody's blood, he has a lot of influence on Yegor, may well have unrealistic demands and then want a trade. Shumi Babayev already did it. Marchenko's agent Dan Milstein is more reasonable
Well that’s not encouraging

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
too bad boone jenner totally wants to – and therefore, by pascal vincent's logic, needs to play 24 minutes a night. otherwise voronkov would play more than 10 minutes and this wouldn't be a discussion at all.
I understand that PP and PK make big difference. But Dima played PK in Ak Bars. It's so hard to try him instead of Gaunce? After all, Pascal preferred Olivier as well. If he tried Chinakhov, why not try Dima as well? I also agree that he wants to win. But the first line mostly scores goals. Tex played well with Sillinger and Nylander, but Alex was moved to Jenner's line, so why not use the chemistry of Voronkov-Marchenko, especially if that the Voronkov - Sillinger - Marchenko line has played well in the past and Tex would be ideal with TFW and Pyyhtiä thanks to his play. He played center under Torts.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
As much as I loathe the way Vincent has minimized Voronkov's ice time, I'm guessing if Voronkov leaves, it would be more likely be because he doesn't like being away from Russia. Some people are like that. Voronkov has to know that he has a lot of minutes and a lot of money in his near future in the NHL. And Russians know all about getting benched as rookies - 10 minutes a night would be more than expected there.

Anyways, we get these type of hopeful articles in the Russian hockey press all the time. They're always eager to talk about getting their players back. There may be some substance to it but I think Voronkov probably stays.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
As much as I loathe the way Vincent has minimized Voronkov's ice time, I'm guessing if Voronkov leaves, it would be more likely be because he doesn't like being away from Russia. Some people are like that. Voronkov has to know that he has a lot of minutes and a lot of money in his near future in the NHL. And Russians know all about getting benched as rookies - 10 minutes a night would be more than expected there.

Anyways, we get these type of hopeful articles in the Russian hockey press all the time. They're always eager to talk about getting their players back. There may be some substance to it but I think Voronkov probably stays.
But this is what GM Ak Barssaid, not the journalist or agents. Besides, Dima is really a home type.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023

Once he sees that bridge deal next year it will probably make a difference...everyone has their price

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
INTERVIEW WITH DIMA'S AGENT ALEXANDR CHERNYKH

Is it likely that Voronkov will return despite his current contract with Columbus?

- Firstly, yes, he has a valid contract. Secondly, I think it's premature to talk about any return while the season is underway. I can understand Kazan. If I were them, I'd want Dmitry back too, but these talks are premature. How will the American club and Dmitry himself react to all this? I wouldn't be in a hurry, I'd wait until the end of the season and a clear understanding.

So so far only Ak Bars is interested in the deal? Columbus doesn't know about it, and Dima isn't considering the offer?

-
It's not that he doesn't consider it. Perhaps there was a conversation with him, but it's all premature. We remember how there was a conversation before, we discussed, communicated. But Dmitry stayed and is showing results, pleasing the fans and worthily representing our country over the ocean."

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
INTERVIEW WITH DIMA'S AGENT ALEXANDR CHERNYKH

Is it likely that Voronkov will return despite his current contract with Columbus?

- Firstly, yes, he has a valid contract. Secondly, I think it's premature to talk about any return while the season is underway. I can understand Kazan. If I were them, I'd want Dmitry back too, but these talks are premature. How will the American club and Dmitry himself react to all this? I wouldn't be in a hurry, I'd wait until the end of the season and a clear understanding.

So so far only Ak Bars is interested in the deal? Columbus doesn't know about it, and Dima isn't considering the offer?

-
It's not that he doesn't consider it. Perhaps there was a conversation with him, but it's all premature. We remember how there was a conversation before, we discussed, communicated. But Dmitry stayed and is showing results, pleasing the fans and worthily representing our country over the ocean."

Doesn’t sound like a guy who’s looking for the first way out of here.

As long as we’re playing him, paying him, with some plan on his long term future I think he’ll be here.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Next:

Voronkov's agent about Ak Bars: "There is a contract, obligations and conditions under which Dmitry can't just leave. His family can insist that he stay"

Agent Alexander Chernykh, representing the interests of Russian hockey player Dmitry Voronkov, told what factor may prevent the player's return to Ak Bars Kazan.

"What are the chances of Voronkov's return? I can't tell you. Let's take the opposite example. Dmitri Katelevsky plays in Kazan, some club from America calls and says, 'We want him.' Kazan will answer: "But we like him too, guys, we won't give him away". Let's say Katelevsky says: "Guys, let me go, I want him. They'll say: "If you play, go away." I don't like to guess on the coffee grounds - I like the facts. There is a valid contract, there are obligations, there are conditions under which Dmitry can't just leave. Otherwise, everyone would be leaving here just the same way. But as of today, this rule does not work yet.

When the season ends, Dmitri will make a decision. If he says, "Guys, talk to me, do everything to make me leave, we will take maximum measures to do it. He may say he's staying for now, that everything is going well, and that's what Dmitri's family and friends will insist on. That's already what happened when he stayed. I remember there was talk about coming back, but family and friends said: "Dim, you left, you need to prove to yourself and everyone that you can".

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Next:

Voronkov's agent about Ak Bars: "There is a contract, obligations and conditions under which Dmitry can't just leave. His family can insist that he stay"

Agent Alexander Chernykh, representing the interests of Russian hockey player Dmitry Voronkov, told what factor may prevent the player's return to Ak Bars Kazan.

"What are the chances of Voronkov's return? I can't tell you. Let's take the opposite example. Dmitri Katelevsky plays in Kazan, some club from America calls and says, 'We want him.' Kazan will answer: "But we like him too, guys, we won't give him away". Let's say Katelevsky says: "Guys, let me go, I want him. They'll say: "If you play, go away." I don't like to guess on the coffee grounds - I like the facts. There is a valid contract, there are obligations, there are conditions under which Dmitry can't just leave. Otherwise, everyone would be leaving here just the same way. But as of today, this rule does not work yet.

When the season ends, Dmitri will make a decision. If he says, "Guys, talk to me, do everything to make me leave, we will take maximum measures to do it. He may say he's staying for now, that everything is going well, and that's what Dmitri's family and friends will insist on. That's already what happened when he stayed. I remember there was talk about coming back, but family and friends said: "Dim, you left, you need to prove to yourself and everyone that you can".

i'm just gonna say it: this is the agent posturing to create leverage for an RFA extension with the new front office regime.

he's eligible to sign an extension on july 1.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
i'm just gonna say it: this is the agent posturing to create leverage for an RFA extension with the new front office regime.

he's eligible to sign an extension on july 1.
Not quite. Ak Bars desperately needs Voronkov. Turns out he's the reason Radulov played well in the PO, and not the other way around. It needs his play in front of the net and overall tough play, ability to defend, play without the puck etc. Besides, he grew up with us.

Conversely, the agent is realistic. Alexandr Chernykh is not Shumi Babayev (Chinachov's agent), who other teams like SKA and CSKA is capable of blackmailing. KHL teams can write a dissertation about him and his practices. And it's bad enough that Yegor is very likely under his influence.

In addition, and this is very important, Chernykh does not have the NHL license, his agent is J.P. Barry here.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Take it for what it’s worth but on Portys podcast he said he was told Voronkov’s ice time was limited at times (especially at the end of the season) because he needs better conditioning and ran out of gas. Not that he wasn’t in shape, but that he wasn’t used to the toll of an NHL schedule

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Take it for what it’s worth but on Portys podcast he said he was told Voronkov’s ice time was limited at times (especially at the end of the season) because he needs better conditioning and ran out of gas. Not that he wasn’t in shape, but that he wasn’t used to the toll of an NHL schedule
I wrote this all the time. The KHL is not the NHL, it has slower pace and fewer games.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So it begs the question:

How interested is he in doing the work required to be successful in the NHL? He's already contemplated going home once. He spent an entire year here with no family and unable to speak the language. How dedicated is he to spending a summer working harder on his conditioning and weight loss to do it all over again?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad