Dishing the Dirt

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
I don't think anyone has ever found this yet. 1925 NHL 1st and 2nd All-Star Team picked by the Hamilton Spectator (link: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=PLWDSxI5WzYC&dat=19250112&printsec=frontpage&hl=en, page 14):

1st Team

G: Vezina
D: Boucher, Cleghorn
C: Burch
RW: Green
LW: Joliat

2nd Team:

G: Forbes
D: Coutu, Langlois
C: Morenz
RW: Dye
LW: Green

Maybe a little homer with the two Shorty Green picks.

Good find!

This is for the 1924-25 season and that team was picked pretty early in the season - more of a midseason all star team than an end of season team.

Charlie Langlois at D seems like more of a homer pick than the Greens. I had to look him up as I didn't remember any Langlois in the NHL of the 20s.

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
Don't have much, but since his jersey got retired somewhat recently, there's probably a lot of quotation to be add from players commenting on this, or on his death, which is also somewhat recent.

A name to keep in mind is radio host and ex-NHL referee Ron Fournier, who pushed hard, disturbingly so for Butch Bouchard's number to be retired.So maybe some googling with those key words might get some nice articles with quotations.

Got some quick quotes here:

http://www.habsworld.net/2008/03/the-enshrined-habs-emile-butch-bouchard/

http://www.habsworld.net/2008/03/the-enshrined-habs-emile-butch-bouchard/

I can translate this later for you (this is more about before his NHL career, as the article is from 1941 and "presents" Bouchard to the public):

1941_un_montralais_avec_le_canadien1941.jpg

1942_le_roc_de_gibraltar.jpg

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2008/10/who-were-habs-butch-bouchard-and-elmer.html

If you are too busy, I could also translate this. I live in Edmonton now, but I was born and raised through the French side of Montreal.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
If you are too busy, I could also translate this. I live in Edmonton now, but I was born and raised through the French side of Montreal.

Really? How old are you and which neighborhood are you from if that's not too indiscret? I was also born and raised on the french side of Montreal (in Rosemont, Tétreaultville/Pointes-Aux-Trembles and Hochelaga-Maisonneuve to be precise).

I had a discussion yesterday with seventieslord and I told him I was surprised to be the only french guy in the ATD.I was wrong I guess.

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
Ugh...disturbing geographical downgrade there. Who did you píss off?

I personally didn't **** off anybody. However, I do agree that it is quite a geographical downgrade and I plan on moving back to Montreal sometime in the future.

Really? How old are you and which neighborhood are you from if that's not too indiscret? I was also born and raised on the french side of Montreal (in Rosemont, Tétreaultville/Pointes-Aux-Trembles and Hochelaga-Maisonneuve to be precise).

I had a discussion yesterday with seventieslord and I told him I was surprised to be the only french guy in the ATD.I was wrong I guess.

No that's fine. People my age are the predominant university student age demographic. First house was on St-Denis street, near the Asian markets. Then moved out to Beaubien, and then I lived in Papineau for the longest period of time before moving to Edmonton. So, I basically spent my whole life in the Villeray-Saint-Michel-Parc Extension borough, with emphasis on the Villeray-Saint Michel locations (actually, isn't this the immigrant side of Montreal?).

I'm surprised to hear you're the only french guy. What about chaosrevolver?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
No that's fine. People my age are the predominant university student age demographic

Allright, was just wondering if you were in my age range.I guess you're early 20s, I'm early 30s.

First house was on St-Denis street, near the Asian markets. Then moved out to Beaubien, and then I lived in Papineau for the longest period of time before moving to Edmonton. So, I basically spent my whole life in the Villeray-Saint-Michel-Parc Extension borough, with emphasis on the Villeray-Saint Michel locations (actually, isn't this the immigrant side of Montreal?).

Yeah, while those are french it's not that close to where I grew up (nor does it ressemble it much imo).I was more east than that.

And yes, Saint-Michel/Parc Extension is somewhat of an ''immigrant side'' of Montreal, moreso than places like Hochelaga or Pointes-Aux-Trembles, which have more of a french-canadian ancestry demographic.It's continuously changing though.

I'm surprised to hear you're the only french guy. What about chaosrevolver?

No idea whether chaosrevolver speaks french or not.

Anyway, this is interesting.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I personally didn't **** off anybody. However, I do agree that it is quite a geographical downgrade and I plan on moving back to Montreal sometime in the future.

Bonne idée. I have a big soft spot in my heart for Montréal. It was my favorite escape from the dregs of upstate New York while I was stationed at Ft. Drum (Toronto, as well...Ottawa, not so much).

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Bonne idée. I have a big soft spot in my heart for Montréal. It was my favorite escape from the dregs of upstate New York while I was stationed at Ft. Drum (Toronto, as well...Ottawa, not so much).

I can understand someone loving Montreal, but when Sprague mentioned ''the french side'' I thought he really meant east of Papineau street, or maybe even east of Pie-IX street (near the Olympic Stadium where the Montreal Expos used to play).Not exactly a great place to hang out, especially if you're not french-canadian, unless you really like the vibe or something.

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
I can understand someone loving Montreal, but when Sprague mentioned ''the french side'' I thought he really meant east of Papineau street, or maybe even east of Pie-IX street (near the Olympic Stadium where the Montreal Expos used to play).Not exactly a great place to hang out, especially if you're not french-canadian, unless you really like the vibe or something.

Yeah, I guess what I should have said to be more accurate is that I was raised by the francophone education system, and I lived in the predominantly immigrant part of Montreal.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Just picked up 100 Years: A Centennial History

Not sure if anyone has dumped info for it before but I found about 10 paged on Red Dutton so when going through ill post any good info I find here..good and bad.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

Honestly, the only thing of note in this article is the following quote:

"Everywhere, people agree that Bouchard will become a great star with the Canadiens, reminiscent of the days of two famous Canadiens players, Sylvio Mantha and Albert Leduc.Bouchard is already an attraction and the fact he was born in Montreal doesn't hurt his popularity."

The rest is anecdotes from his youth about the various sports teams he played in.

Last edited:

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Honestly, the only thing of note in this article is the following quote:

"Everywhere, people agree that Bouchard will become a great star with the Canadiens, reminiscent of the days of two famous Canadiens players, Sylvio Mantha and Albert Leduc.Bouchard is already an attraction and the fact he was born in Montreal doesn't hurt his popularity."

The rest is anecdotes from his youth about the various sports teams he played in.

Ah, I see.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
That last one is close.

Sun Life Building in the back. Windsor Hotel (former) in the middle, and the Victoria Skating Rink (now a parking garage) in front.

Well I said those names because the image you posted doesn't actually show anything. :laugh:

Not for me anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad