Prospect Info: Discussion: Prospects and Marlies Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Perfect, thanks man I appreciate that.

in the usa roster thread they seem to think woll will be back-up some even think maybe 3rd goalie, so unless the starter gets lit up or injured im not sure we get to see woll unfortunately. Also Dzierkals has been injured for a while and last i saw wasn't going to be ready for the WJC but that may have changed i dont know

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Bibeau back up with the Leafs and Enroth back to Marlies as per Kristen Shilton.

As suspected, the Leafs wanted to get Bibeau some action in .. I bet we'll see him start one of the games upcoming before Christmas, and one right after as they're both back to backs

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
As suspected, the Leafs wanted to get Bibeau some action in .. I bet we'll see him start one of the games upcoming before Christmas, and one right after as they're both back to backs

Enroth didn't even get to play though :(

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
I think he deserves another shot. He's always been a really good backup, so 4 bad games shouldn't end his NHL career.

He's put up terrible numbers in both the NHL and AHL so far in a combined 7 games. Maybe he should have a solid game/start at AHL level (not too much to ask) before they reward him with another NHL game.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think he deserves another shot. He's always been a really good backup, so 4 bad games shouldn't end his NHL career.

Ultimately Jonas Enroth will be a footnote in the annals of Leaf history though. He'll bounce around even if he doesn't figure it out here, if he plays well at some point he'll get another shot

Andersen is playing well, which was the important goaltending item for us this year. Finding a competent backup is a solvable problem

I don't love the idea of Enroth either, even if he was playing well he's very different than Andersen so the D has to play different in front of him. I'd like to find a guy who's similar in style, size and strenghts/weaknesses to back up Andersen so the team can play the same way regardless of who's in net

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He's put up terrible numbers in both the NHL and AHL so far in a combined 7 games. Maybe he should have a solid game/start at AHL level (not too much to ask) before they reward him with another NHL game.

He played well in his one AHL start. He was a huge reason the Marlies won, even though his numbers don't show it.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Sometimes 4 games is all you get when you have goalies ready to take the next step. Enroth had an opportunity to do something and didn't.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
New video for Leip..
3rd in goals ... and 1st place in Total Points.., on the Marlies..

GettyImages-510094792.0.jpg

Brendan Leipsic
Center -- shoots L
Born May 19 1994 -- Winnipeg, MAN
22 yrs. ago
Height 5.09 -- Weight 170

RECENT STATS:

2015-16 - Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
6 Games... 1 Goal... 2 Assists... 3 Points... -1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015-16 - Toronto Marlies - AHL
65 Games... 20 Goals... 34 Assists... 54 Points... +16
2016 AHL PLAYOFFS
13 Games... 2 Goals... 2 Assists... 4 Points... -1
2016-17 - Toronto Marlies - AHL
22 Games... 8 Goals... 19 Assists... 27 Points... +2 *PPG+

Leipsic Ride: Brendan Leipsic 2016-17 Highlights - TML (HD)

Last edited:

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
It looks as if Bracco has made the US WJC team. With the release of Logan Brown and Alex DeBrincat, the Americans are now down to 13 forwards. They still have 8 Dmen so a 12/8 split is at least theoretically possible. I guess it is not quite a lock. But it's very likely Bracco will be on the team, IMO. He scored the first goal in the exhibition game against the Swiss last night.

Parsons played the whole game in goal for the US which may indicate he has the inside track to the starter's job in goal. I haven't seen any word about how Woll is playing.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
New video for Leip..
3rd in goals ... and 1st place in Total Points.., on the Marlies..

GettyImages-510094792.0.jpg

Brendan Leipsic
Center -- shoots L
Born May 19 1994 -- Winnipeg, MAN
22 yrs. ago
Height 5.09 -- Weight 170

RECENT STATS:

2015-16 - Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
6 Games... 1 Goal... 2 Assists... 3 Points... -1
2015-16 - Toronto Marlies - AHL
65 Games... 20 Goals... 34 Assists... 54 Points... +16
2016 AHL PLAYOFFS
13 Games... 2 Goals... 2 Assists... 4 Points... -1
2016-17 - Toronto Marlies - AHL
22 Games... 8 Goals... 19 Assists... 27 Points... +2 *PPG+

Leipsic Ride: Brendan Leipsic 2016-17 Highlights - TML (HD)

As much as I think we might be getting over excited about guys like Grundstrom and the Leaf Nation hype machine tends to go into overdrive a little bit about our prospects, this guy seems to have flown under the radar. I know that he's ranked near the top of our prospect lists in a lot of cases because he's close to being ready, but every time I see him he looks like he could be a top 6 NHL'er without even considering his fiestiness. I don't know if it's because the agitator narrative takes over, or because he's 5'9" (honestly I think he's smaller than that) but I can see him playing a long term role in our top 6 especially if he's going to play with guys who inflate his stats as long as he gets the puck on dump ins and finds a way to get open around the net which are two things he's very good at

Thanks for the video, I think he's a guy we should be more excited about. Especially since we got him for a Dman who we didn't want to re-sign and a forward that washed out of the NHL...then convinced them to throw in a first round pick and another guy who we flipped for another pick

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
How is Valiev doing? Surely he would be a better option than Hunwick by next year right?

Looked NHL ready in his stint last season.

He is probably going to replace Hunwick if hes still playing well, I dont watch the Marlies much anymore.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Valiev has, for the most part, looked awful this year. I don't think there is anything he has done well.

The Leafs are more likely to use Marincin, Loov, Nielsen, Dermott, signing a free agent (possibly even Hunwick) or acquiring a replacement through trade (even a cap dump) over using Valiev next year.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Valiev has, for the most part, looked awful this year. I don't think there is anything he has done well.

The Leafs are more likely to use Marincin, Loov, Nielsen, Dermott, signing a free agent (possibly even Hunwick) or acquiring a replacement through trade (even a cap dump) over using Valiev next year.

That's not very encouraging. I'd be fine with Marincin on the bottom pairing though I guess.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

While I agree I see Holl as an anchor dragging him down so I can't tell if it's him or hid pairing that sucks.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
While I agree I see Holl as an anchor dragging him down so I can't tell if it's him or hid pairing that sucks.

They both are really bad. I don't know if Holl will be brought back, even if it's only on an AHL deal. He was really good last year but I don't know what happened this year. You'd think with the prime opportunity to possibly get to the NHL (with an ELC) he'd be even better than he was last year.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
They both are really bad. I don't know if Holl will be brought back, even if it's only on an AHL deal. He was really good last year but I don't know what happened this year. You'd think with the prime opportunity to possibly get to the NHL (with an ELC) he'd be even better than he was last year.

Goes to show you development is not just a straight line.

Percy and Finn were surefire NHLers at one point. Loov came over a couple of years ago and looked like a sure bet to be at least a bottom pairing guy. Valiev last year seemed to have a great season as a 1st year pro, and you say he's fallen way off.

Guess people shouldn't be pencilling Nielsen into the Top 4 quite yet.

I have high hopes for him and Dermott, but Dmen need time to develop. Hopefully with another 1.5 seasons (min.) one or both are ready to make the leap.

Outside of Rielly, who's the last homegrown Dman we've had on the Leafs?

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
As much as I think we might be getting over excited about guys like Grundstrom and the Leaf Nation hype machine tends to go into overdrive a little bit about our prospects, this guy seems to have flown under the radar. I know that he's ranked near the top of our prospect lists in a lot of cases because he's close to being ready, but every time I see him he looks like he could be a top 6 NHL'er without even considering his fiestiness. I don't know if it's because the agitator narrative takes over, or because he's 5'9" (honestly I think he's smaller than that) but I can see him playing a long term role in our top 6 especially if he's going to play with guys who inflate his stats as long as he gets the puck on dump ins and finds a way to get open around the net which are two things he's very good at

Thanks for the video, I think he's a guy we should be more excited about. Especially since we got him for a Dman who we didn't want to re-sign and a forward that washed out of the NHL...then convinced them to throw in a first round pick and another guy who we flipped for another pick

Thanks, Randy... Yes... I think his height is a big factor for some (not myself).., but he is a LOT like Conacher..., in his speediness and grit...
Personally.., I have never discounted him... and his goal on the Leafs last season should have put a lot of doubters to rest..

How is Valiev doing? Surely he would be a better option than Hunwick by next year right?
Looked NHL ready in his stint last season.

He is probably going to replace Hunwick if hes still playing well, I dont watch the Marlies much anymore.

Do you watch Marlies games regularly.., Sea..? Highlights, even....? Valiev has really stepped it up, from last season.. He's becoming stronger, defensively.. and has been on the + side of the +/- stats most of the season, so far..., because of it..

He's more ready right now, than Loov, Dermott and Corrado, imo...
Nielsen would be the one to challenge him, but Valiev's defense is better atm.. and Babs probably knows this..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad