Discussion: Jordan Subban Vs Nikita Tryamkin

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
I figured this may be an interesting discussion, and I am curious to see what the general consensus on these boards is.

Question: If you could only keep one or the other for this rebuild - Who would you choose between Subban and Tryamkin? Im not talking about this season specifically, but gun to your head, if you could only keep 1 of the 2 for this rebuild, who do you keep and why?

For arguments sake, lets say you can keep one prospect, and Benning is going to trade the other for Tanner Glass.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Tryamkin, because I have a feeling Subban will never really get his shot here.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Tryamkin.

Vote shouldn't be close.

I leaned towards Tryamkin, but I don't think anyone should be saying its not close. I mean even Canucks army went Tryamkin(5), Gaunce (6), Subban (7) so they had them ranked as the 2nd/3rd best D-Men in the system.

Both guys are intriguing for different reasons.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Apples and oranges.

I agree.

For this team, we need someone of Subban's skillset though. Taking everything like who the club likes, who has a better chance of making it out of the discussion and just going on skillset for this team. I say Subban.

I do think Tryamkin is more likely to make it though.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Tryamkin or Subban going forward?...and there's actually a vote on this?....one guy's already in the NHL and the other buried in Utica....but on a different topic, have always had a good feeling about a potential Tryamkin-Subban pairing....something about it just feels like it might work down the road.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Very weird to compare. They're literally the polar opposites in terms of playing style.

That being said, it's really difficult to not pick Tryamkin here.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I leaned towards Tryamkin, but I don't think anyone should be saying its not close. I mean even Canucks army went Tryamkin(5), Gaunce (6), Subban (7) so they had them ranked as the 2nd/3rd best D-Men in the system.

Both guys are intriguing for different reasons.

One looks alot further along the developmental curve/'ready for prime time" - at least IMHO.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Everyone would probably agree Subban needs to do something to deserve a chance. He isn't owed a chance.

Tryamkin didn't do anything to deserve the chance he was given. That said he looked good in the chance he was given. He is a big boy and used his assets. This vote isn't going to be close.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Would you rather have your school lunch include an apple, or an orange for the rest of the school year?

Got any grapes?

(orange you glad I didn't say banana?)

I guess I just can't wrap my head around the poll because I really can't see a scenario where it would ever come down to either/or. In the systems Subbans competition is Stetcher and Larsen and Tyramkins would be Pedan.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Tryamkin didn't do anything to deserve the chance he was given. That said he looked good in the chance he was given. He is a big boy and used his assets. This vote isn't going to be close.

I think the choice's are close. But I also think the poll will be lopsided.

PancakeHero

May 13, 2013
Pawnee

He did more than Subban I would say. KHL experience is higher than AHL. He also has leverage which makes his case more problematic.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Right now? Keep Tryamkin. If he doesn't make the team and goes back to the KHL and whereby he promptly signs like a 2 year contract without an out clause for him to try again next season then keep Subban. But it's honestly a bit too early to tell.

There's no conspiracy here. They are both projects, but Tryamkin looks capable of being a project while contributing as a 6th/7th Dman for the Canucks. Subban? He is skilled and has a great shot. Give him playing time and I think he will score some goals in the NHL. But I don't think he's capable of defending against NHL forwards right now. While Dmen can take quite a few years to develop, I am a bit disappointed in his ability to defend. He should be dominating the prospects tourney and while he's been good offensively, he hasn't looked good defensively and this is against prospects. Right now, my gut feeling is that Subban's chances of being an NHL regular is less than 50/50. If he wasn't 5'9" that percentage would be a lot higher.

Subban just needs to keep putting up offensive numbers while shoring up his defensive play to earn a chance to play in the NHL and then when he does get a chance to play in the NHL start producing offensively. He's unlikely to be gift-wrapped chances.

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa
Tryamkin bc he's easier to develop to what we expect from him. Subban's got a harder road to travel to be what we expect from him at the NHL level

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Hard time voting like them both but know Subban will not get his shot here by Benning for obvi reasons. If he survives this year with Utica and Benning is fired in the offseason before he can trade him for another clendenning then he might get a shot but is pretty good chance hes as good as gone

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Tryamkin should win this handily. He's shown he can play at NHL level and he has a rare set of tools (huge and can skate). Subban is better offensively but can't play NHL D yet.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Hard time voting like them both but know Subban will not get his shot here by Benning for obvi reasons. If he survives this year with Utica and Benning is fired in the offseason before he can trade him for another clendenning then he might get a shot but is pretty good chance hes as good as gone

If Subban doesn't get shot, it won't be because of a Benning conspiracy.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's not close. Tryamkin should be expected to be a regular piece with the potential to become a core piece. Subban was a complete long-shot from day one and the way he's tracking, he's still unlikely to become a player.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Tryamkin has been shown to be able to hold the line vs other NHL teams, however limited his number of games may be.

Plus he drilled Pirri into the wall, then swatted Getzlaf Stewart and Perry like mosquitos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad