Discussion: Coach Willie Desjardins | V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Did you guys see the clips of what the CBC guys were saying during stoppages?

https://streamable.com/20lj

"That's where Willie would drive me nuts as a star player, and look who is out there after the TV timeout, Linden Vey"

https://streamable.com/ahm6

"Willie drives me out of my mind. Attacking zone, TV timeout, Linden Vey?"

https://streamable.com/vrck

"McCann and Frankie, they don't like each other to much. Boy theres a lot of no-shows in this lineup tonight huh."

https://streamable.com/xe0o

"If you gotta concern yourself with matching up with THAT Toronto team, oh boy. They can't f***ing score a goal"

https://streamable.com/9t9x

"This is just gonna be a heart breaking loss, this might start the tear down"

https://streamable.com/w3ib

"You're losing at home cause your coach isn't coaching"

https://streamable.com/3wyn

Markstrom's after hours segment where he says he was listening in on the crap (brutally honest) commentary

via u/PhenomenonYT on reddit

Last edited by a moderator:

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Wont be fired yet as green needs to have one more run in the ahl playoffs and there is little to hope to accomplish with a coaching change

He's had enough time to be evaluated and his in game management is league worst.

I personally doubt any player benefits or improves their play from him

Horvat and baetschi have earned it all themselves. Any rookie has.

He adds nothing to the team except a better pick. Was worth a shot but hes not experienced/talented enough.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
The truth is out, If there isnt a teardown of this team (Including a long hard look at WD) it will really force us fans to stop spending much money to financially support the owners.

I will always support the team, I love seeing the progression of the young guns. That has been the highlight of this year for me.

It is this coaching that kills any enthusiasm I gain. Mr 1-2-3-4 finally gets his come comeuppances in the spotlight. How spot on is the "After a TV timeout Vey is on the ice??" comment.

Further to that is the insight of "This would drive me crazy as a star player" because how could it not. You have the skill and the ability to change the game and the coach put out his pet? In a game that needs any momentum..

Thanks for the links McPeen.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
After Toronto, WD needs to take the remainder of the season to at least just o-zone bias the Sedins.

Like all this stuff isn't a surprise, the HNIC analysis is just the surface stuff.

I still think Willie's systems are good and for the most part team effort and preparation is ok. He's gotten a lot out of a mediocre lineup IMO.

But it looks like because of his lack of deployment skills he is losing credibility in the dressing room.

If he doesn't show some sort of rudimentary line matching or at least o-zone strategy (remember AV was not the greatest line matcher) he's sure to be fired at the end of the season.

It's pathetic that this narrative that has been common knowledge locally might only now start to gain traction just because it was on HNIC, most of the guys barely watch this team.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
You really think fans will support the owners during a tear down where they are losing and not making the playoffs?

If its being done properly, yeah. Will there be a dip because of fair weather fans and the corporate types that only subscribe to winners? Of course there will be.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
You really think fans will support the owners during a tear down where they are losing and not making the playoffs?

Well, we are going to suck regardless.

We are a awful possession team, terrible in terms of scoring chances +/-, the only real thing keeping us afloat is our goaltending. That probably goes downhill as Miller plays more games.

So whether or not canucks fans can accept a rebuild isn't the real question. It's when we start the rebuild.

It's either now or in 2 years IMO.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
he has that habit of holding onto his clipboard like its a blanket. like wtf dude show some emotion yell at your players instead he stares at the play going on like im gonna get fired sooner or later.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
If its being done properly, yeah. Will there be a dip because of fair weather fans and the corporate types that only subscribe to winners? Of course there will be.

Ah yes. The old "no true fan" fallacy.

Nobody likes a loser. Even "true fans".

And while you and other "true fans" may look down on corporate types they are essential to the profitability of the Canucks.

And never mind that people in Vancouver have other things to do rather than watch a bottom dwelling team.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Well, we are going to suck regardless.

We are a awful possession team, terrible in terms of scoring chances +/-, the only real thing keeping us afloat is our goaltending. That probably goes downhill as Miller plays more games.

So whether or not canucks fans can accept a rebuild isn't the real question. It's when we start the rebuild.

It's either now or in 2 years IMO.
Which doesnt address my point which is about making the playoffs.

The whole rebuild hinges on the Canucks rebuilding through the draft which hinges on several things namely being able to hit homeruns with each first round pick. That can go sideways for example choosing a Virtanen type player or losing drafting spots to the lottery.

No wonder ownership isnt in to it.

And I despise ownership.

Maybe just less than our wishful thinking posters on here.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
he has that habit of holding onto his clipboard like its a blanket. like wtf dude show some emotion yell at your players instead he stares at the play going on like im gonna get fired sooner or later.

87bfe60812bb9daa1380100e1008915b-gil-gunderson.jpg

Gil Gunderson

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

I'd argue being mediocre wouldn't lose any more money, if at all, than as long as it would take to do a rebuild

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
Ah yes. The old "no true fan" fallacy.

Nobody likes a loser. Even "true fans".

And while you and other "true fans" may look down on corporate types they are essential to the profitability of the Canucks.

And never mind that people in Vancouver have other things to do rather than watch a bottom dwelling team.

Facts are that this team has very little direction currently, its pulling in a many different directions at once, and failing hard.

The on ice product right now is shockingly bad (perpetually getting worse by the day) and from a viewers point of view very hard to watch.

I appreciate the inclusion of a non existent quote. Maybe that makes you feel you have a point?

Without review of the guy working the bench, the guy who is putting Vey out in critical times when he has much better weapons sitting on the pines, how are we to succeed? That is the tip of the iceberg with WD. Last playoffs we were in he was clearly outcoached. His ice time distribution is criminal some games.

Whats your point? is it lets sell the farm to make the playoffs and appease our Corporate supporters? A bad product will lose these people regardless and that is what we have right now. A stinking pile on the ice.

Our ship is taking on water, we need to dry dock and get some repairs, if that doesnt work then the ship needs to be rebuilt. Perhaps including the Captain (Coach).

That said please enlighten us of these other factors to consider and your grand plan about what to do. So far I just see you poking holes at what people are saying and offering nothing regarding the topic, Willie D.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Facts are that this team has very little direction currently, its pulling in a many different directions at once, and failing hard.

The on ice product right now is shockingly bad (perpetually getting worse by the day) and from a viewers point of view very hard to watch.
The team has no direction largely because Benning doesn't have a clue. And its shockingly bad because its been made worse by bad trades, bad signings.

I appreciate the inclusion of a non existent quote. Maybe that makes you feel you have a point?

Which non-existent guote? This one: "true fans"

If so thats what youre comment about fairweather and corporate fans relates to. Its implied.

Without review of the guy working the bench, the guy who is putting Vey out in critical times when he has much better weapons sitting on the pines, how are we to succeed? That is the tip of the iceberg with WD. Last playoffs we were in he was clearly outcoached. His ice time distribution is criminal some games.

Agreed. Willies a moron. Hope hes gone to along with Benning et al.

Whats your point? is it lets sell the farm to make the playoffs and appease our Corporate supporters? A bad product will lose these people regardless and that is what we have right now. A stinking pile on the ice.

Talk about "misquoting" or putting words in my mouth. Where did I mention anything about selling the farm much less to appease corporate supporters?

Our ship is taking on water, we need to dry dock and get some repairs, if that doesnt work then the ship needs to be rebuilt. Perhaps including the Captain (Coach).

Terrible analogy since the repairs and drydock are not reliant on other teams performance nor lottery luck, nor competence of the GM.

That said please enlighten us of these other factors to consider and your grand plan about what to do.

If by factors you are referring to this:

I think other factors have to be controlled for. The economy is not doing so hot so that may infact have more to do with than anything.

Then I think I just listed one when I mentioned the economy. Whether people buy tickets to a sporting event rely on many things of which team performance is but one.

So far I just see you poking holes at what people are saying and offering nothing regarding the topic, Willie D.

So what? You seem to take umbrage with the fact I point out flaws with the idea that all the canucks have to do is suck for a few years and voila improve!

Sucking is no sure way to improve the team and we only need to look at Edmonton, who I might add has had just about as much luck as you can possibly have in their drafting.

Its just as easy that Canucks finish last (20% for FO) and draft 4th OA then finish low again and lose spots to the lottery.

So why would an owner forgo playoff salary on the hope and a prayer a period of suckitude leads to a period of prosperity?

And no this wasn't just about Willie D as their were other topics being discussed.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
The point of the whole thread is what is going on with Willie D.

I can see you are clearly an anti tanker, I get it, youve seen Edmonton run by Lowe, they had good drafting position, chose poorly, didnt trade well. It scarred you, made you gun shy, very sad indeed.

The economy is down, great point, The sky is blue in other news.

The analogy of a boat works perfectly fine, this is a ship with many parts that need to work together in order to be successful.

Now that you cannot figure out that drydock doesnt mean one off season or draft thats on you.

Coaching (again the topic) is so bad that we do not have chance to properly develop or utilize what we are working with. Im glad we at least agree on that.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
The point of the whole thread is what is going on with Willie D.

I can see you are clearly an anti tanker, I get it, youve seen Edmonton run by Lowe, they had good drafting position, chose poorly, didnt trade well. It scarred you, made you gun shy, very sad indeed.

The economy is down, great point, The sky is blue in other news.

The analogy of a boat works perfectly fine, this is a ship with many parts that need to work together in order to be successful.

Now that you cannot figure out that drydock doesnt mean one off season or draft thats on you.

Coaching (again the topic) is so bad that we do not have chance to properly develop or utilize what we are working with. Im glad we at least agree on that.

Gun shy? Lol wut.

What I am saying is we can easily have it as bad as Edmonton. We can easily have our "Lowe".

What makes you think otherwise?

Also the blue sky does not affect peoples decision making process. The economy does.

A drydock is not dependant on 30 other teams performance nor lottery luck.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
On the positive side, Willie has to go pretty soon. Like there is no way someone even as incompetent as Benning is going to let him stick with it after this embarrassing saga

On the down side, Benning has another year and a half probably, unless things continue to really go downhill with his terrible moves. I just hope he doesn't set this franchise back like 8 years with a terrible contract. However, he does seem to have improved marginally, maybe he will continue to do so. I don't hold much hope for that though as he's been an NHL executive for a long time.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
On the positive side, Willie has to go pretty soon. Like there is no way someone even as incompetent as Benning is going to let him stick with it after this embarrassing saga

On the down side, Benning has another year and a half probably, unless things continue to really go downhill with his terrible moves. I just hope he doesn't set this franchise back like 8 years with a terrible contract. However, he does seem to have improved marginally, maybe he will continue to do so. I don't hold much hope for that though as he's been an NHL executive for a long time.

My concern is WD bears the brunt and buys JB more time.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
Gun shy? Lol wut.

What I am saying is we can easily have it as bad as Edmonton. We can easily have our "Lowe".

What makes you think otherwise?

Also the blue sky does not affect peoples decision making process. The economy does.

A drydock is not dependant on 30 other teams performance nor lottery luck.

Who cares about 30 other teams, a drydock isnt about other ships , its about your own ship... How are you not getting this??

So you might fail at something.. That seems to make you "gun shy" as you sited Edmonton. Who cares about Edmonton, move on, REPAIR what you can.

Losing the deadwood of WD is a start, he is a failure. I hoped he would do well, I really did, he had a good track record and looked like he would do well. He isnt adjusting to the big leagues and may be losing the room, hard to say. Publicly he looks horrible, refer to the 1st post for more info if you havnt seen the links.

Moving on, Jeez I sure wish the economy was better so we had more disposable income to throw away at some kind of entertainment product, that the team sucks which management and ownership refuse to fix.... Because the problem is money, not the thing that people spend it on...the entertainment and excitement right?

What are you arguing about, do you even know?

What is your magic potion that makes this team successful? What steps do you want to take?

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Who cares about 30 other teams, a drydock isnt about other ships , its about your own ship... How are you not getting this??

So you might fail at something.. That seems to make you "gun shy" as you sited Edmonton. Who cares about Edmonton, move on, REPAIR what you can.

Losing the deadwood of WD is a start, he is a failure. I hoped he would do well, I really did, he had a good track record and looked like he would do well. He isnt adjusting to the big leagues and may be losing the room, hard to say. Publicly he looks horrible, refer to the 1st post for more info if you havnt seen the links.

Moving on, Jeez I sure wish the economy was better so we had more disposable income to throw away at some kind of entertainment product, that the team sucks which management and ownership refuse to fix.... Because the problem is money, not the thing that people spend it on...the entertainment and excitement right?

What are you arguing about, do you even know?

What is your magic potion that makes this team successful? What steps do you want to take?

The 30 other teams matter because their performance determines how you can go about building your team. Its not hard.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
My concern is WD bears the brunt and buys JB more time.

Indeed, but that's pretty normal I guess anyway in sports. The only way they go down together is if Benning doesn't fire WD before the start of next season, and that'd be pretty impressively stupid by JB.

I don't think WD is the only problem with this team though, the team is just straight up poorly built by Benning. If we had a real coach we might make it to the playoffs given how weak the division is, but even Trotz isn't getting us past the first round, and this team is only going to continue to decline.

The pressure is actually getting up there. After firing Gillis for one playoff miss, it looks bad when some of his players are starting to pan out while the team continues to decline (after his calls for a rebuild years ago, no less). It's out there now that Gillis was the scapegoat for ownership and fans are not going to be happy listening to Linden spewing nonsense forever.

My schadenfreude is becoming erect watching the fanbase turn on ownership.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
The 30 other teams matter because their performance determines how you can go about building your team. Its not hard.

First off 29 other teams, I should have corrected you earlier.

If you are going to worry about what everyone else is doing so you somehow cannot act go ride a merry go round and have fun twirling.

You call it a fallacy that fans will be lost if the team does poorly, its just the facts, gotta fix whats broken first before you can compete bud. Some people wont like it, they will leave. Thats how it works, gonna have some lows before the highs.

Just hopefully not the Kevin Lowes. Benning isnt great I do agree there but he has never had 10 years of rope given, stop worrying about an Edmonton model.

Agree to disagree, at this point you havnt answered any of my questions about what you would do.

I dont believe you would have an answer anyways. I say good day sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad