[Discussion] 2023 NHL Draft Defensemen Sleeper Picks

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
So this is the Bedard draft. We get it. Bedard and then Fantili, Carlsson Michkov (unless he drops) and all sorts of centers and winger hybrids.

But what about the defense? Some drafts don't even have a defenseman in the top 15. Then a run on Allen, Gulyayev, Reinbacher and Dragicivec as well as my favourite Sandin-Pellikka.

But this draft has so much top end talent, the odds of a stud/star defenceman coming from the 2nd or 3rd rounds is entirely possible and more so actually likely.

So do you have a sleeper Defenceman in this draft? I love sleeper picks and this draft has more than a few on D that look like they'll be the kind of knock out D that win championships with. I also have a penchant for picking younger players because I feel as though they have so much more to grow in to

So I'd like to get a discussion going here if anyone is of the mind.

My top 5
  • Brzustewicz. Solid, mobile. Putting up decent numbers but also has that look to a later bloomer about him. Composed blueliner
  • Mackinnon. Playing solid hockey for Halifax right now. Some snarl and is absolutely not afraid to push his way in to things or protect his net. Decent shot
  • Molendyk. Have loved this kid for some time. His skating is honestly incredible and his passing is arguably some of the best among NA defensemen available
  • Strbak. Can't say enough about this kid or how much I like him.
  • Mazden Leslie. If you've seen him play you'll know why. brain farts aside this guy is my favourite mid round sleeper

Honourable mention: Bengtsson, Hell, Bonk, Price

Who would your top 5 be?

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I liked Andrew Strathmann's game at Hlinka Gretzky. Matteo Koci is worth a look in the later rounds.

Reactions: czech

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
I liked Andrew Strathmann's game at Hlinka Gretzky. Matteo Koci is worth a look in the later rounds.
I normally shy away from players based on tournament or international play alone but Strathmann stood out for all the right reasons. I'll look at Koci for sure

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Sleeper? Matthew Mania.

A lot of talk about how much better Musty has looked under new coaching - Mania has benefited just as much since the change. He has 12 points in his last 9 games - Mania has been a highly touted prospect for a while now and posseses good size at 6’1”, a good skating stride and good lateral movement that he is quite deceptive with - the production hadn’t been there so concerns were starting to arise but it looks like since the turn of December, around the time Sudbury brought in Derek MacKenzie - the numbers are starting to come.

Kalem Parker also comes to mind - good size, good skater and makes very good reads on the ice. He maybe isn’t going to wow you with offensive skill - he just plays a real responsible game that could very well bring him to the NHL one day - if he finds that next gear in his offensive toolbox, look out.

Quinton Burns has quietly impressed me so far this season - physical, big, good skater. He has very good tools - I haven’t and watched Him nearly enough to give a confident read on how he thinks the game and his decision making - but what I will say is this. It is much better than what I remember hearing coming into the OHL draft.

Just a few of my favourites so far.

Last edited:

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Sleeper? Matthew Mania.

A lot of talk about how much better Musty has looked under new coaching - Mania has benefited just as much since the change. He has 12 points in his last 5 games - Mania has been a highly touted prospect for a while now and posseses good size at 6’1”, a good skating stride and good lateral movement that he is quite deceptive with - the production hadn’t been there so concerns were starting to arise but it looks like since the turn of December, around the time Sudbury brought in Derek MacKenzie - the numbers are starting to come.

Kalem Parker also comes to mind - good size, good skater and makes very good reads on the ice. He maybe isn’t going to wow you with offensive skill - he just plays a real responsible game that could very well bring him to the NHL one day - if he finds that next gear in his offensive toolbox, look out.

Quinton Burns has quietly impressed me so far this season - physical, big, good skater. He has very good tools - I haven’t and watched Him nearly enough to give a confident read on how he thinks the game and his decision making - but what I will say is this. It is much better than what I remember hearing coming into the OHL draft.

Just a few of my favourites so far.
This for me is the hallmark of a true sleeper pick. Points win games but defense wins championships. Those defenseive picks who won't wow you with 50-70 point seasons but consistently post above average +/- 30 point seasons and can be relied on to clear a crease and make that first pass out of the defensive zone are everything.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Hunter Brzustewicz, Strathmann and Mania were alredy mentioned but I would add Gavin McCarthy to the list.

Reactions: Trizz617

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
What counts as sleeper pick this early? Tanner Molendyk is mentioned very little here. Feeling like this year's Zellweger for me. Really smooth and intelligent skater who can log big minutes for your team. Just bit smaller guy.

Maybe Strbak from Slovakia as well. Good defensive d man who can also play with a puck.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
What counts as sleeper pick this early? Tanner Molendyk is mentioned very little here. Feeling like this year's Zellweger for me. Really smooth and intelligent skater who can log big minutes for your team. Just bit smaller guy.

Maybe Strbak from Slovakia as well. Good defensive d man who can also play with a puck.
Sleeper picks, being players not spoken of in the first round. Projects or players some wouldn't consider but with the potential to be one of the better defensemen of their draft class.

IE; Weber, Keith, Vlasic, Subban, Ekholm etc.

Someone drafted outside of the first that becomes or could become a top 4 D pairing staple in the league

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I have a simple model that tries to identify D sleepers.

It is still early, but there a two players who the model likes at this point:

Peteris Bunlans
Arttu Kärki

For those who aren't really sleepers but the model thinks might be slightly undervalued:

Oliver Bonk
Beau Akey

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
I have a simple model that tries to identify D sleepers.

It is still early, but there a two players who the model likes at this point:

Peteris Bunlans
Arttu Kärki

For those who aren't really sleepers but the model thinks might be slightly undervalued:

Oliver Bonk
Beau Akey
Would you be willing to share this modelling system??

• Love
Reactions: SimGrindcore

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Two names come to mind from Sweden. Tom Willander who is obviously on the radar for most but feel like his game is a bit underrated from what I see on rankings. Good mobility and decision-making and OK size and defensive game as well.

A name that I have not seen mentioned anywhere and would be a real sleeper but I don't think scouts will be able to keep their hands off Viking Gustafsson Nyberg (great name) who is a 6'6 overager with decent hands.

Reactions: Warh1ppy

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Two names come to mind from Sweden. Tom Willander who is obviously on the radar for most but feel like his game is a bit underrated from what I see on rankings. Good mobility and decision-making and OK size and defensive game as well.

A name that I have not seen mentioned anywhere and would be a real sleeper but I don't think scouts will be able to keep their hands off Viking Gustafsson Nyberg (great name) who is a 6'6 overager with decent hands.
Size always scares me with draft picks in NA because that size against kids can be deceiving

But EU leagues against men is entirely a different animal. Someone to watch, good call

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Most of the names I had in mind were already mentioned. I'll add:

Gennadi Chaly
Daniil Karpovich
Magomed Sharakanov

Can't imagine they go high (or at all). Chaly is really young for the class and is committed to Vermont so there is a long runway ahead. Fire plug with some skill. Karpovich and Sharakanov have been solid performers in the MHL.

Reactions: SimGrindcore

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think Carter Sotheran fits the description quite well. CHL rookie hovering around .5 PPG without PP time. Young for the class. Huge, projectable frame, and underrated skill. He led his previous two teams in scoring as a defenseman. I would say he'd take off as soon as the second half of the season, but Cagnoni is eating up most of the minutes and will until he turns pro. May have to wait until he's 19 to see the true breakout.

Last edited:

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
I think Carter Sotheran fits the description quite well. CHL rookie hovering around .5 PPG without PP time. Young for the class. Huge, projectable frame, and underrated skill. He led his previous two teams in scoring as a defenseman. I would say he'd take off as soon as the second half of the season, but Cagnoni is eating up most of the minutes and will until he turns pro. May have to wait until he's 19 to see the true breakout.
This could be like a situation where we saw Juolevi in London being called the reason Bouchard looked so good only to find out Bouchard was a solid player in his own right.

You're not wrong, the kid has jam for sure and I love the idea of drafting younger players as they always seem to have that little bit more upside

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad