Has Stamkos played his last game as a member of the Lightning?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
No thanks.

We have enough overpaid dead weight

Lol. guy had 5 goals in 5 games in the playoffs and 40 goals on the season. Dead weight?

Stamkos is 34, no team is signing him to an overly long contract. He's still playing hockey at a very high level.

The problem in Tampa is that they came up against a cap crunch, which was made far worse by Covid and the cap being flat. The team is missing a lot of the key depth pieces that made them a championship team. You can't pull out guys like Killorn, Coleman, Palat, Namestnikov, Johnson etc... without icing a worse team.

Reactions: Hoek

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Leafs will trade Marner out for a goalie, top 4 dman, and a prospect and then sign Stamkos to a 1yr - $3mil deal.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Im surprised Tampa is seemingly tossing him to the curb like this. Seems like a foregone conclusion that he’s done there.

If that happens I could see him doing the Pajama Boy thing in Toronto. Although that’d be quite the crappy end to his career ala Thornton, Marleau, Gio, Simmonds etc etc.
He is much better and younger than those guys.

That being said I have no idea where he ends up and maybe he stays in TB for less money?

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Can't see him leaving Florida unless it's to another destination city in the Southern states.

I'd be shocked if he came anywhere near Winter and taxes.

What kind of contract do you think he'd get?

9 Million on 2-3 years for a non destination city?
Maybe a nice send me to Robidas Island when I can't play type with 6 or 7 years at 5 mill'ish?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He'd have to take a lot less than he deserves and I highly doubt he does that.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Can't see him leaving Florida unless it's to another destination city in the Southern states.

I'd be shocked if he came anywhere near Winter and taxes.

What kind of contract do you think he'd get?

9 Million on 2-3 years for a non destination city?
Maybe a nice send me to Robidas Island when I can't play type with 6 or 7 years at 5 mill'ish?
How much can he make on endorsements alone playing in huge Canadian market though?

Pete Taylor

Dec 11, 2017
Honestly if you are Tampa, you squeeze every run you can out of the existing roster. May cause some hard years ahead, but atleast you can say you went for it. They got the talent to try a retool, just are low on assets.

I think you throw whatever you can at Stammer on a 2 year deal and run it back.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
How much can he make on endorsements alone playing in huge Canadian market though?

No idea. How much does Tavares make?
If I had to guess it's likely not much for him. Definitely not offsetting the tax benefits of some US markets is my guess.

I'm just guessing that since he's spent his whole career living in Tampa and that lifestyle. You don't often see players leave it. At least not players of Stamkos caliber and age. He's made a shit ton of money and won cups.

That being said there's really no knowing what his motivations are as an individual. Maybe he does have some yearning to return home. Maybe he really wants to win more and goes to another contender.

It's a guessing game.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
If they really do lowball him in Tampa, I could see Stamkos slotting in as a short-term but high-dollar replacement for Reinhart on the Panthers if PR leaves for a massive contract elsewhere (like Utah). Preserves the Florida lifestyle to which he's become accustomed.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
i think he will be offered a "best we can do" contract. It will be less than he can make on a team that is probably better than TB. So the ball will be in his court. I don't see us being able to offer him a raise even though he probably deserves it.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I hope not, but he has earned the right to chase the dollar or stay in Tampa. If we lose him and have sheary on the ice opening night I will be pissed.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
NYI: They desperately need scoring, and Stamkos provides that. They should be able to make room for him under the cap without much issue.

CAR: Depending on what happens with Guentzel and Teravainen - they certainly could go after Stamkos. They are a good team and give him a chance at another cup.

TOR: It seems crazy, but Domi, Bertuzzi, Klingberg, Brodie, Murray, Muzzin, and Samsonov are all UFAs and they will have money to play with to make big decisions. It is one of many possibilities, but there is some sense in bringing in Stamkos if the price is right - and it doesn't handcuff them from making other more important move (like Tavares did).

I think those three teams make the most sense if he leaves Tampa.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
40 goal scorer, had 5 goals in the playoffs, Tanpa should just resign him.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
NYI: They desperately need scoring, and Stamkos provides that. They should be able to make room for him under the cap without much issue.

CAR: Depending on what happens with Guentzel and Teravainen - they certainly could go after Stamkos. They are a good team and give him a chance at another cup.

TOR: It seems crazy, but Domi, Bertuzzi, Klingberg, Brodie, Murray, Muzzin, and Samsonov are all UFAs and they will have money to play with to make big decisions. It is one of many possibilities, but there is some sense in bringing in Stamkos if the price is right - and it doesn't handcuff them from making other more important move (like Tavares did).

I think those three teams make the most sense if he leaves Tampa.

I absolutely love the NYI match, great call. They probably shoulda started rebuilding yesterday, but talk about a vet playoff squad looking to take another couple shots.. Stamkos changes the identity just enough to make it interesting.

Reactions: Oak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad