Post-Game Talk: Dirty Booins take it in OT!

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
It wasn't the first time Matheson was cavalier in his attempt to carry the puck in OT, and as such Caufield should have know better to begin with.
I'm not even mad at CC decision to pinch here, because let's face it 3v3 is still the dumbest thing in hockey and the Habs aren't playing for anything worth mentioning.

But CC went "sur le boutte de la palette" on this, and you can't do that. He took himself out of the play the moment he whiffed on the puck.
I just rewatched it again. There was a chance Caufield strips and has a clear lane to the net. But yes he shouldn't be in that situation knowing who made the play as you alluded to. It's kind of like Subban in that regard. If he makes the spinorama/edge Deke at the Blueline he's golden but I'd not then we got the infamous Colorado play all over again

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Not necessarily. One of my biggest gripes about the 2021 playoffs and the Canadiens in general that year was putting too much emphasis on forwards for break outs. This is alien to most Habs fans as price broke out half the plays most of the game which is why they averaged a goal more when he was in net. Suzuki shouldn't have to always be deep in the zone. That's a sign that either your defence is crap or your defensive coach is crap and can't scheme defensive plays. Yes he'll be low on the zone but it's not so low that he can't make it in transition. Also I have no problem with Caufield carrying through the neutral zone sometimes. I was talking in respects to o zone cycling mostly which both Dach and Suzuki are proficient in and Caufield not so much
Which comes back to the original argument Cole Caufield's board play at either end isn't ideal.
This is where the majority of the plays die or the exits don't happen. Not his fault just not a strength.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Good to see some common sense in the last few pages.
Absolutely sick of the irrational hate for Matheson. Good offensive flawed D man at a good contract playing close to 30 min. More than good enough for the team at this stage.

Reactions: RandR

RandR

May 15, 2011
On the winning goal, I agree with the others whom pointed out that Caufield made an ill-advised pinch. However, puck possession in the 3-3 is arguably the most important thing, and so I think that Matheson also deserves a bit of blame (not as much) for putting himself into a situation where he was bound to lose the puck by ending up on a 3on1 caught up ice where HE is the one and only defenseman out there. I still like Matheson and the Habs are a better team with him while they have so many young defence, but obviously his biggest fault is his penchant for taking unnecessary risks that too often lead to goals against.

Poor decision making, by different degrees, by 2 of the 3 skaters on the ice. Caufield, at least, will learn from his mistake. Matheson should know better by now.

I only got to see half the 3rd and the overtime, but the effort was great, especially on killing off that double minor.

Reactions: JT3

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
I get it now, if Matheson gives up a 2 on 1 and we get scored on, it's the other defensemen's fault. Better yet, if Matheson gives up the puck that results in a breakaway and we get scored on, it's the goalie's fault. I finally understand, Matheson can't be blamed for anything because he always makes the right play!

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Oh well, 14 scored, Slaf got a point amd the kids were alright again.

And WTF is going on with Armia!?! Someone stomped his wife? He’s never been that awake for so long.
He's showcasing himself for a draft day move.

Reactions: dinodebino

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Absolutely sick of the irrational hate for Matheson. Good offensive flawed D man at a good contract playing close to 30 min. More than good enough for the team at this stage.
He just has to make better decisions no?
Calling out poor play is not irrational hate and never has been and this goes for any player.
What may be irrational is thinking it was a good attempt.

Reactions: Forum93 and Habano

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Which comes back to the original argument Cole Caufield's board play at either end isn't ideal.
This is where the majority of the plays die or the exits don't happen. Not his fault just not a strength.
Yes I completely agree with you. But he shouldn't even be in that situation in the first place. Eventually slafs pick protection skills in addition to his added strength in his 20s will allow Suzuki time to comfortable assess the situation while Caufield hides in plain sight

Reactions: Rapala

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Sadly my wife just came home with my daughter. They had to take the cat into the Vet. The stupid cat jumped into my turtle tank. The cat's okay, but I don't think it will be doing that again lol

The first thing my wife does when she comes home is says "Oh I saw you were out of carrots". Then she throws me the bag. Is that grounds for divorce? lol
Hey carrots are good for you. I always give them to my dog for a treat, he loves them. I think I'm going to try them next time. :laugh:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yes I completely agree with you. But he shouldn't even be in that situation in the first place. Eventually slafs pick protection skills in addition to his added strength in his 20s will allow Suzuki time to comfortable assess the situation while Caufield hides in plain sight
I doubt they would ask Suzuki to adjust his play to accommodate Caufield. Just a wild guess.

Wonder if Roy will be sent down now
FWIW I think we can beat Bridgeport in the next one without him. :sarcasm:

Reactions: SwiftyHab

RandR

May 15, 2011
I absolutely agree with you that the hate for some of these players is irrational. They have strengths and they have weaknesses, Matheson has obvious examples of both.

I am not going to bother to find the post, but someone calling Gallagher stupid (seen not for the first time in this thread) is another example of that. Gallagher may be far over-paid and have lost a step, but aside from him having a great effort level all year, there is no doubt he knows the game of hockey and how to contribute the best he can with not only being a small player but also now having diminishing speed (at least).

People were thinking Slavkovsky might be a stupid player; I was beginning to wonder that myself early this year. Turns out he was basically just hesitant and slow to execute.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
NqqgSRo.png

I should have one made for MSL, who shares the blame for putting him in there.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I have been predicting a 30ish goal scorer for a long time but it always got shot down. I think that people are seeing the light. He is getting paid the same as Suzuki and there is no comparison between them. Let's not get Caufields buddy Zegras though, that would be a disaster.
Nah. I’m still bullish.

A below 8 percent shooting percentage is insanely low. At 14 percent he’d already be at 35 and pacing for 44. At 16 percent he’d be pacing for 51.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs10Habs

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think it's absolutely irrational how often the H word gets brought up here when a player gets criticized for poor play.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He plays like 5-10 minutes more than the entire team, so that makes sense.
He’s a flawed blueliner who makes spectacularly bad plays sometimes. That being said he takes far too much heat. He’s also playing in one chair too high and going against the best players in the league. People should cut him some slack.

As for that goal, I get people going after Caufield as it’d have been far safer to stay back. But I don’t mind the aggressiveness to be honest. If he gets the puck there he’s all alone. He made a play for it and lost. We’re out of the playoffs and I really don’t care. It’s 3 on 3 go ahead and go for it.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Then he’d also be making $10M not $4.5M
And he’d be worth every penny. There’s not many 50-60 point d men who can skate like him. He has the brain of a donkey though so

Also Armia has turned a corner. He’s a beast especially on the pk
How many times have Winnipeg and habs fans said this lol. I genuinely love his game though when he’s on. Such a smart player

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I've liked Guhle better than Matheson 3v3 if I'm honest.
He skates almost as well jumps at the opportune moments and plays the Dside much better.
Matheson may end up winning more games outright but he'll definitely lose more outright also.
Tricky balance to deal with once we are in it to win it.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
He just has to make better decisions no?
Calling out poor play is not irrational hate and never has been and this goes for any player.
What may be irrational is thinking it was a good attempt.
He’s still a bargain. Just sucks to see him have easy outlets and not use them and watch him try to skate through an entire team. Also I see people saying he shouldn’t be on the power play lol that’s pretty crazy. I’d love to see MSL call him out about what he did tonight though. Dude just needs to simplify his game

Reactions: Rapala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad