Dinamo Riga 2021/22 - From Worst to First?! Sarauj!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I agree with all you said @SoundAndFury

The lack of scoring options is a big issue but at least we are not the clown team of last season. I mean with some luck and divine intervention they could creep into the PO spots in the coming weeks (not that we'd stay up there)

Dofs

Jun 25, 2021
Tiivola and Shinkaruk scratched, I assume :huh: It feels like Zubov's goal throughout this season is to make his skill players as uncomfortable as possible. Dubious strategy, I'd say.

I guess the answer lies in the +/- coefficient:
Shinkaruk -7
Tiivola -6
Poirier -9
Gormley -8
These are amongst the worst players defense-wise in the team, and neither do they really score to compensate for that. And that's after an entire month of the season, they were given plenty of time to adjust. So after a month if all these skilled players do is let goals in, it's only fair to start rotating them with others. They simply don't play to earn a constant spot in the roster, and keeping them in it just because they are "foreigners" and have a high salary is unfair to others and might make bad climate in the locker room. I welcome Zubov's decision to not dress them for the game.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I welcome Zubov's decision to not dress them for the game.
You can play them in lesser roles instead of giving crap partners (Shinkaruk) or tough assignments (Tiivola) and then scratch them as they get overwhelmed. They are still both averaging over 16 minutes, Tiivola has taken almost twice as many faceoffs as anyone else. Who on this team could handle a similar role with any chance of success?

Good coaching is about putting players into a position to succeed, not throwing them into the meatgrinder, and when they fail being left there with even worse players to throw into it. Because I can tell you for a fact this team definitely wouldn't be better off if Berzins (who is getting all the love, for whatever reason) was the one eating Tiivola's minutes. He played 18 minutes today (kinda insane), a penalty and -1.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So the "outcast line" on the ice today, Shinkaruk-Poirier-Wannstrom all together. Let's see how they do.

Well, goal 5 minutes into the game is a nice start.

Machovsky, meanwhile, is yet to have a decent game at the KHL level... His career trajectory looked promising and deserving a shot to play in the KHL but he just doesn't seem to cut it. It's at the point where it's worthwhile to look at the possibilities to get rid of his contract.

Last edited:

Dofs

Jun 25, 2021
Haven't watched the game but looking at the goals, I wouldn't blame Machovsky at all. Two of the 3 goals were unlucky bounces from own player, while the other was a standard PP goal from a blue line with the goalie being covered.

Machovsky started terribly but I think he is getting better.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
1st goal was a hard shot but it was fired with a humongous windup (pretty easy to anticipate) and went in short side. 3rd one was a wrister from the blue line which he never really appeared to track. In general, it feels he has a really hard time tracking the puck and fighting through any kind of screen.

It would be less of an issue on a better team but there is no margin for error on this one.

Dofs

Jun 25, 2021
It would be less of an issue on a better team but there is no margin for error on this one.

Which is why we have Mattsson who is absolutely amazing and one of the best goalies in the league right now. We already lucked out with him, I doubt we can do it again by releasing Machovsky and finding another incredible goalie in the middle of the season. And sure you can say he could technically save some more goals today but those goals are those your average KHL goalie would let in. I would say that's a huge improvement from an OHL level goalie he was in the first few games :DD

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Which is why we have Mattsson who is absolutely amazing and one of the best goalies in the league right now. We already lucked out with him, I doubt we can do it again by releasing Machovsky and finding another incredible goalie in the middle of the season.
Nah I'm thinking more about saving some money, bringing in someone on league minimum who can perform the same, if not better. Severstal will have a goalie to loan out once Podyapolsky gets healthy, for example.. Or Askarov maybe :sarcasm:

Dofs

Jun 25, 2021
Are we even allowed to save any money though? Pretty sure our budget is at the floor anyway and saving money would just mean getting fined for not making it, like last year.

Reactions: Rigafan

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I'd prefer they reinvest those, obviously, I'm in no way interested simply saving Gazprom's money :laugh: But Machovsky and Wannstrom out maybe would let to bring some useful piece in. Amur just managed to bring in Volgin and Nikolishin after cutting some dead weight which I thought was a great job on their part.

Dofs

Jun 25, 2021
Let's be honest though, not the best game for the opponent's goalie :)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It looks like Zubovs can coach... Didn't he leave Dallas management to get this job?
He did a pretty good job with Sochi, I think he didn't take other jobs around the league just because he wants to live in the West. He has his quirks and questionable decisions but that applies to literally every coach. Dallas job was a pretty made-up position in the old boys club I think, though.

With Wannstrom gone and Tiivola in limbo, the roster requires strengthening though.. That current bottom 6 is baaaad.

Dofs

Jun 25, 2021
Seeing Darzinsh in center really hurts my eyes and just as I thought that Darzinsh and Jelisejevs have a good chemistry and maybe Radil should be moved to give them a proper center, maybe even Cherveny when he comes back, Jelisejevs and Radil create two goals together :eek: Kinda shuts me up. It still hurts to see Darzinsh in that position though :laugh:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I actually surprisingly like him at center, more than Indrasis, for example. Feels like as he becomes slower it's easier for him to find space there. And defensively he is not the most talented guy but responsible enough.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Jelisejevs not in the lineup, almost certainly meaning injury... Unfortunate.

The powerplay, meanwhile, remains excellent. The combination of it and Mattsson has me borderline excited about this team. A win today would make Riga a 0.500 team :o

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Feel it's a bit unfair to Machovsky to throw him to the wolves like that but at the same time, it's probably good to rest Mattsson in an "unsavable" game like that. Tough opponent after a long break, fully expect Magnitka to just steamroll here.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Ok, I feel it's safe to say Magnitka playing Zagidulin for the first time in a year or whatever it is made it a very fair game.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
963 fans at the game. Is this Covid rules at Arena riga or have people just given up? The recent games have been good!

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
963 fans at the game. Is this Covid rules at Arena riga or have people just given up? The recent games have been good!
Latvia is entering a lockdown mode once again and have some of the lowest vaccination rates in Europe so the attendance limitations are probably fairly strict. Although I don't know for sure. But like you said, the team is playing well, that kind of numbers wouldn't make sense under the usual circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad