Post-Game Talk: Did you hear the Jets beat CBJ 5-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
We hold tickets for 15 games this year. But, more is needed. :) Last night I met with the kids and spousal unit and we agreed to get in on some walk up action this year. This team is so <channelling Schuffles McEarsorley> fricken cool.

+++++

True story. My spouse's dad passed away last August, rather suddenly. He was i) possibly the best father-in-law (met all the requirements) and ii) a massive Jets fan and frequently treated us (spousal unit and myself) to Jets games in the days where buying anything required some fiscal planning. One of my kids looked at me after the game and said "D'ye think Grandpa is looking down on all of this?"

I'm not a sentimental person, but the lump still forms in my throat as I write this.

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
70% of the playoff gate goes to the league coffers now.
Interesting comment, and you could well be right - I guess you are. An extra 30 % of playoff revenues is still a nice bonus tho.

What I'd like to know is this -- if anybody knows ??

1) How much of a teams revenues comes from TV revenues ? as I heard the greatest percentage comes from this area ?

2) Is there revenue sharing, for clubs that are struggling ? so the clubs that are making big money, give a percentage to struggling teams ?

3) When a franchise is sold ( like Seattle) what percentage would each team receive from that sale ? I heard the Jets received $ 25 million, on the Seattle sale.

4) Are there any other revenue streams I'm missing ??

Be interesting to know how the pie is split up ?

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Getting some serious Chuck the Channel Cat vibes off this one.
I've got to give my AI engine a sound thrashing!

mad-broke.gif

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Ok I'm thinking it, so I'm gonna say it (no jinx):

Are we witness to the best NHL hockey team in the history of Winnipeg?

The 84-85 Jets finished with 96 points and lost in 4 straight to the Oilers juggernaught after thumping the Flames in the first round. You may remember that that pos Jamie Macoun viciously crosschecked Hawerchuk in the ribs and knocked him out of the Oilers series.

The 17-18 Jets finished with 114 points and lost in the Conference final 1-4 against the Knights.

This team is on a 119 point pace, and dare I say it's playing a better style of hockey than the 17-18 team.

We're more structured, and better defensively. The 17-18 team used scoring more to win games.

Last edited:

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian

The 84-85 Jets finished with 96 points and lost in 4 straight to the Oilers juggernaught

The 17-18 Jets finished with 114 points and lost in the Conference final 1-4 against the cup winning Knights.

This team is on a 119 point pace, and dare I say it's playing a better style of hockey than the 17-18 team.

We're more structured, and better defensively. The 17-18 team used scoring more to win games.
Its a fair comparison and I don't see many weaknesses in your logic. If, if, if we can get the power play to start (maybe some ether down the carb throat) then it could turn into a Juggernaut.

oywye329llh71.jpg

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Attendance will be driven for the rest of the year by walk ups and which teams so up, the marketing department sights now should be on capitalizing on this years success by getting as many corporations, businesses and the general population as possible to get as ST's for next year and depend less on walks up.

Well said.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

The 84-85 Jets finished with 96 points and lost in 4 straight to the Oilers juggernaught after thumping the Flames in the first round. You may remember that that pos Jamie Macoun viciously crosschecked Hawerchuk in the ribs and knocked him out of the Oilers series.

The 17-18 Jets finished with 114 points and lost in the Conference final 1-4 against the cup winning Knights.

This is where coaching makes the difference. The 17-18 jets were greater than the sum of its parts because they were much better from a skill base. They had oodles of skill, and a coaching staff that couldn't hurt them regardless of it. This team doesn't have as much skill as that team, but its coach is much better than that coach.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

The 84-85 Jets finished with 96 points and lost in 4 straight to the Oilers juggernaught

This team has a little bit of everything, scoring, defense, goaltending , toughness and mental toughness, good coaching and one of if not the best GM's in hockey. Me right now when i watch this team......

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
The last 4 years were borderline unwatchable.

Facts. The attendance issues this year are well earned. COVID exacerbated the issue quite a bit, and run away inflation didn't help matters much at all. It's much cheaper to watch games at home or at a bar than go down town for a game. Chipman and his staff need to use this momentum to get corporate packages sold to the city. The numbers elude me, but I believe the jets still have the lowest corporate buy-in rates around the league. Optics matter more than the revenue generated. More people are talking about the lack of sellouts for a first place overall team. An empty seat generates no revenue. You would do well to remember that, Mark Chipman.

I live in Brandon. I have some PTO coming up in February, and I'm thinking of taking in a game myself. Never been to one.

HighFlyingJets

Sep 30, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
True we should be getting better gate revenues, but if the Jets go 2-3 rounds into the playoffs,( think they will), they will more than make up for the lower attendance numbers for the regular season this year. In the playoffs as well, a lot of the prime expensive season tickets are presold, so they will do just fine for revenues. Would like to see some sellouts for regular games tho.
Half the gate revenue (tickets sold is taken by the NHL as per collective bargaining, put into a collective revenue sharing pool distributed to the lower tier of teams. I'm sure we'll be one of them based on lower attendance and revenues this season. But needless to say the money we spend at playoff time (ticket sales only) are taken by the NHL and does not benefit the Jets

Reactions: GNP

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Just taking a second to appreciate the absolute massive leap that Josh Morrissey took in the last couple years.

He was a top 4 d-man, solid but unspectacular. Hell, Dom had him as one of the worst contracts in the league.

Then bang, Bowness comes in he takes a leap to being a legit top 10 defensemen. A dependable, all situations #1 guy that teams need to be a true cup contender. He always had pedigree but taking that leap was largely unforeseen but exactly what this team needed. Couldn't have happened to a better person either.

RestlessYoungZero

Jul 10, 2011

In 17-18 I'm pretty sure the Caps won the Cup, beating Vegas after they handed us a 1-4 series loss in the Conference final

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I think this is the most complete team we have had to this point of the season with the exception of the power play and doing this while taking out 20% of your scoring makes it all the more impressive. Finishing first in the central is something people who mused about a rebuild including myself would never of dream of this year.

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
I tend to find nobody understands how good Lowry actually is. Points don't show, but he always shows up in a big way.
He doesn't get much love here, because he isn't flashy and doesn't put up a lot of points. I usually end up watching the opposing team's broadcast, and gets a lot more praise there. The Coyotes' broadcast group didn't stop talking about that line, and how they matched against the other team's top lines night after night, and continuously 'tilted the ice' in the Jets' favour. The Boston crew talked about the luxury of having that line to send out when you needed to 'change the pace' of the game, after a momentum swing. San Jose's crew mentioned Lowry became the Captain, because he is an example of a guy that never takes a shift off, and is always there for a teammate.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'm old enough to remember vincent being heralded as being some exciting young innovative up and comer coach that should have been hired here. i guess innovating the CBJs to 0 goals, 0 hope and 0 victories against old man bowness and the crew is certainly exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad