Did you enjoy the tournament without NHLers?

Did you enjoy the tournament without NHLers?

• Total voters

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Point is they only win with Canadian refs. You like to talk about facts, well that's a fact.

But it isn't a fact at all. Every Olympics that Canada has won has had officials from multiple different countries. So no they don't only win with Canadian refs they have won with refs from many different countries.

Yes there are Canadians refs there because like everything relating to hockey Canada is the best at producing high level refs. Do you think we should use sub par refs just because other countries can't produce competent referees?

But I am sure you will try to move the goalposts again like you always do when you aren't just flat out ignoring stats.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
But it isn't a fact at all. Every Olympics that Canada has won has had officials from multiple different countries. So no they don't only win with Canadian refs they have won with refs from many different countries.

Yes there are Canadians refs there because like everything relating to hockey Canada is the best at producing high level refs. Do you think we should use sub par refs just because other countries can't produce competent referees?

But I am sure you will try to move the goalposts again like you always do when you aren't just flat out ignoring stats.

Which elimination game at the Olympics did Canada play in that didn't have Canadian refs?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Which elimination game at the Olympics did Canada play in that didn't have Canadian refs?

The 2014 games are not coming up for me, but the in 2010 in the Quarter Finals against the Russians the refs were Dennis LaRue from USA and Marcus Vinneborg from Sweden and in the Semi-Finals the refs were Dennis Larue again and Jyri Ronn from Finland. Linesmen in both games were from the US and Slovakia and US and Finlnd.

http://stats.iihf.com/og2010/IHM400302_74_3_0.pdf

http://stats.iihf.com/og2010/IHM400202_74_3_0.pdf

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Can't really vote as I didn't watch a single second of it. Can honestly say that I probably wouldn't have tuned in even if Canada was playing for Gold. Was definitely more interested in the Women's tournament.

Would probably rank it below WHC and somewhere around a Spengler Cup. No offense to Russian fans and I'm glad they're happy, but a team like Germany would have no business in the Gold Medal game if it was a real tournament. That's just the reality of it. How can it be taken seriously when every country's roster is just a make shift group of cast-offs and has-beens?

Hopefully the NHL comes around and releases their players for the next games because it's a shame to not have a best on best.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The 2014 games are not coming up for me, but the in 2010 in the Quarter Finals against the Russians the refs were Dennis LaRue from USA and Marcus Vinneborg from Sweden and in the Semi-Finals the refs were Dennis Larue again and Jyri Ronn from Finland. Linesmen in both games were from the US and Slovakia and US and Finlnd.

http://stats.iihf.com/og2010/IHM400302_74_3_0.pdf

http://stats.iihf.com/og2010/IHM400202_74_3_0.pdf

Edit:

I got 2014 in the Gold medal game and Semi-Final the refs were Brad Meier (US) and Kelly Sutherland (Can) so I guess if you think that the one ref either convinced the US ref to help Canada win for some reason then maybe you can try to spin your point that was already proven wrong above.

But in the QF game we have another elimination game Canada won without Canadian refs Tim Peel (US) and Ronn again from Finland.

So in the past two Olympics they have won that is 6 elimination games- 2 with 1 Can ref each and 4 with 0 Canada refs each. Ouch that is a blow to your ridiculous theory.

Another big swing and miss from Atticus.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Yeah it was fine. It was hockey so of course I enjoyed it. Of course Russia was favored. But it was still fun to watch.

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
How did it favor Russia? They had 5 candidates banned! The whole distraction with bans, doping controversy, extra checks, being stripped of your flag and anthem... I don't see much favoritism!

It WAS a 2nd rate tournament. Russia brought a 2nd rate team, most other countries including Canada and US brought a worse team than 2nd rate. They didn't take the tournament as seriously (as even Germany) and lost.

Maybe next time they should bring a better team. The way it stands right now is: outside of NHL, Russia is best. If some don't like it, it's their problem to bring a better team and prove otherwise.

IslesFan2017

May 29, 2017
I tried my best to enjoy some games on rerun since I couldn't stay up until 2:00 or 3:00 AM to watch the games live, although I did that for the gold medal game, which was probably the best game of the tournament. For me unfortunately, time zones are the biggest issue so, even if NHL players participate, if I can't watch the games at a reasonable time, I won't enjoy them no matter what. I am really hoping that Calgary wins the 2026 Olympic bid so we can get something similar to the 2010 Vancouver Games which I really enjoyed.

However, I still hope that NHL players participate so that we can see the best players in the world for 2022.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The event timings were awful. I watched a tiny bit of curling, a tiny bit of the halfpipe events and that's literally it. I'm not interested in watching it when it's not live.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
You certainly notice the difference in quality between, say the 2010 hockey in vancouver and the hockey we just witnessed.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
There were very few interesting games in Vancouver, a thoroughly boring tournament other than for the final pleasing the hosts.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
This tournament gave the underdogs a greater chance. The uncertainty of the tournament and the number of upsets was a pleasant change of pace.

Reactions: kalle wirsch

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Obviously it’s better if nhl players are there but I liked how it evened out the talent a bit and made some smaller countries like Slovenia and Germany more competitive than usual.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad