Did you enjoy the tournament without NHLers?

Did you enjoy the tournament without NHLers?

• Total voters

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

Avery Brundage left the IOC in 1972, and died in 1975. He was the only real impediment to allowing the pro leagues to participate. There is no evidence that the NHL tried to enter between 1976-1994, and the participation of minor leagues like the AHL would have left little to offer in the way of a challenge to the Soviets. Once the Soviet Union no longer existed, and most of the World's best players were in the NHL, the NHL suddenly developed some interest in participating. There was no resistance at all to letting them in. The NHL used the Olympics as a forum at a time when they needed the exposure, but they saw little value to the bottom line financial benefit of the league in participating, especially when the Games were held in Europe or Asia. There has been no negative price for the NHL to pay by boycotting in 2018, and there is no reason to believe they have any interest in returning to the Olympics again, with the possible exception of Olympics held in the USA or Canada. No North American Games are currently on the schedule, and they can use non-competitive exhibition series like the World Cup to simultaneously offer international competition and fill their coffers. There is simply no incentive for the NHL to return to the Olympics.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Can someone care to explain the details of the IOC's amateur only policy?

The Soviets are always accused of cheating the system, but it appears that every country, sans the US and Canada, were using professional players from their respective top leagues, including the Swedes, Czechs, and Finns.
Heck, even the US '80 team had Eruzione and Schneider who were full-fledged professionals from the IHL.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com

The Soviets are always accused of cheating the system, but it appears that every country, sans the US and Canada, were using professional players from their respective top leagues, including the Swedes, Czechs, and Finns.
Heck, even the US '80 team had Eruzione and Schneider who were full-fledged professionals from the IHL.

Finally someone posted it...

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

They did not have professional contracts in the year 1979-'80, therefore they were deemed to be non-pros. They played the entire year with the Olympic team at various tournaments, they did not come from their IHL teams to play just the OG tournament.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
They did not have professional contracts in the year 1979-'80, therefore they were deemed to be non-pros. They played the entire year with the Olympic team at various tournaments, they did not come from their IHL teams to play just the OG tournament.

The USA Olympic hockey team played the 1979-80 season in the Central Hockey League (no longer an active league, I think) of the United States. The Central League was a professional minor league whose teams were mostly affiliated with NHL teams. The US Olympic team was fully entered as a Central League member, and wins and losses officially counted in the standings for their opponents in the league. This was designed to ensure that they played under full pressure, as opposed to competing in "exhibition" matches. Presumably, they took a full share of the proceeds of their participation, which would seem to make them professionals in that context. Since Olympic teams always receive a salary and living expenses for their services, they have never been amateurs in a real sense. You can say they made less money than the NHL, but they were pros by any definition.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
The USA Olympic hockey team played the 1979-80 season in the Central Hockey League (no longer an active league, I think) of the United States. The Central League was a professional minor league whose teams were mostly affiliated with NHL teams. The US Olympic team was fully entered as a Central League member, and wins and losses officially counted in the standings for their opponents in the league. This was designed to ensure that they played under full pressure, as opposed to competing in "exhibition" matches. Presumably, they took a full share of the proceeds of their participation, which would seem to make them professionals in that context. Since Olympic teams always receive a salary and living expenses for their services, they have never been amateurs in a real sense. You can say they made less money than the NHL, but they were pros by any definition.
Strip them of their Gold medals!

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
The USA Olympic hockey team played the 1979-80 season in the Central Hockey League (no longer an active league, I think) of the United States. The Central League was a professional minor league whose teams were mostly affiliated with NHL teams. The US Olympic team was fully entered as a Central League member, and wins and losses officially counted in the standings for their opponents in the league. This was designed to ensure that they played under full pressure, as opposed to competing in "exhibition" matches. Presumably, they took a full share of the proceeds of their participation, which would seem to make them professionals in that context.
Hmmm....

I found this listing the results that 1979-80 season for the US team 1980 Pre Olympic Tour and while the games may have counted in the standings for the CHL teams, I don't think the US team was under anything resembling "full pressure" - the US went undefeated (14-0-1) in their 15 games against CHL opponents
EDIT - correction...the write-up in the link says they went 14-3-1 so I must have missed the three losses when I went through and figured it out game-by-game

And I personally don't think the actual players were being paid based on any share on any proceeds in relation to specific exhibition games (nor do I think the players from the Soviet teams that had been playing NHL/WHA teams received such direct compensation)

I don't think a league counting such exhibition games in their standings matters (the WHA games against Czechs/Soviets were counted in the WHA standings in the 1977-78 season)

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle Rotter

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Most Finnish league players were semi-pros until early 1990s. Selänne was working in kindergarten when he played in Jokerit.
Finnish yearbook listed players' professions until 1991-92 season.

But in general amateur-only policy just became outdated so that's prompted the change. And not only about hockey but about every other Olympic sports as well, including individual sports as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad