Did the Globe get the memo?

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Whether people care deeply about hockey or not is irrelevant.

Actually, when it comes to selling anything, it is. Especially in a front running town like this one.

Quite frankly, I'm done defending the morons who run the game that whine and cry that no one pays them the proper attention in the media. If they had started the season on time, AS THEY SHOULD HAVE, they'd have every right to ***** about lack of coverage. Now, they need to shut up and focus on getting back a thimble of the goodwill they screwed away with this charade the last four months.

Which reminds me, time to do my part and call to cancel Center Ice.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Agree with him or not, KPD is an excellent journalist, who provokes thought, has a legitimate opinion and blows most everyone in this market out of the water.

The Globe section isn't anywhere near as strong as it once was (the baseball people are awful), but between Dupes and Greg Bedard, the Globe is certainly worth the subscription money. And they've just hired a new guy from the LA Times who's going to significantly improve the Celtics coverage (thankfully).

If that isn't the definition of "World's tallest midget" then I don't know what is.

The poor Globe is like a ghost ship floating aimlessly in a sea of new media.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Did you follow KPD on Twitter during the lockout?

Unfortunately I did. All I ever saw from his twitter was lockout joke after lockout joke, no real news or facts. Never really liked KPD as a writer. Then when he lashed out at bloggers and boasted about how much charity work he can do because he's a "real" writer that writes for a big time paper I really disliked him. Not a huge Haggs fan either but I'll take him over the Paul Kelly loving bitter old man any day.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Unfortunately I did. All I ever saw from his twitter was lockout joke after lockout joke, no real news or facts. Never really liked KPD as a writer. Then when he lashed out at bloggers and boasted about how much charity work he can do because he's a "real" writer that writes for a big time paper I really disliked him. Not a huge Haggs fan either but I'll take him over the Paul Kelly loving bitter old man any day.

/Thread

joeyscribe

May 14, 2009
If that isn't the definition of "World's tallest midget" then I don't know what is.

Touche. Although, the Globe is part of the group leading the way to a new form of multi-platform journalism. As someone who isn't in the region anymore, I really enjoy its IPad app.

And KPD was thoroughly entertaining and informative on Twitter throughout the lockout.

Although I must say, the Globe's coverage of the WJC was terrible and it needs to cover local college hockey a lot better.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Touche. Although, the Globe is part of the group leading the way to a new form of multi-platform journalism. As someone who isn't in the region anymore, I really enjoy its IPad app.

And KPD was thoroughly entertaining and informative on Twitter throughout the lockout.

Although I must say, the Globe's coverage of the WJC was terrible and it needs to cover local college hockey a lot better.

meh, somewhat entertaining. as far as informative, didn't it seem like he was always a day late and a dollar short? Way too many retweets. Memo to all sportswriters - get over yourself, if a fan is following you chances are we're following many other reporters as well. In other words If you see that B. Mckenzie has just tweeted some breaking news then we've already seen it. Don't just retweet and clutter up our twitter timeline.

Speaking of not getting memos - the NHL network has been absolutely USELESS during this lockout.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
Whether people care deeply about hockey or not is irrelevant. The Globe used to be the standard-bearer for Boston sports, and Dupont as far as I could see did a lousy job during the lockout (I think Fluto's been on paternity leave). I'm not a big Haggs fan, as I said, but he's done a solid job not just on the CBA talks but on keeping his readers informed on the Bruins themselves. I am not a Larry Brooks fan, but he worked hard during the lockout and should get credit, as did many others.

The Globe's hockey coverage has been less than stellar for some time now. It's not the first place I go for news, that's for sure.

I respect your opinion but, as a newspaper employee as well as a friend to the parties named, I can confidently say that the differences in the product are not the result of a difference in commitment to the job but rather the philosophies of our employers. But, as much as I cringe when reading reporter report cards, so to speak, the reactions are healthy food for industry thought.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
The globe hockey is pretty bad now KPD has come down from his position at the pinnacle of the hockey writing world. (KPD had a phenomenal 20+ year run though so a lot of it is that he is bad by default no matter what he writes just because he used to be so freakin good.) Fluto sucks. Just a sorry product.

Shank is suck a POS for the article slamming Houston.

Last time the Pats were in this scenario they lost to the Jets.

But seriously, this guy always writes these stupid articles like "Boston wins too much" or "What next, its too easy" he has had some of the same stupid **** to say EVERY FREAKIN YEAR WHEN THE PATS clinch the division. I don't think he has taken a year off of writing some condescending piece about it being too easy for the Pats.

The Globe needs to force him into retirement.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Shank is suck a POS for the article slamming Houston.

YES! Thatta boy, Schmuck, er, Shank!

He's a tool who appeals to the lowest common denominator of local fan with his alternating rah rah we're so good bull**** and "see I told you so" second guessing the day after. Nevermind he's made money off his tradeMARK (emphasis on the mark for the rubes who buy it) phrases he turns into crappy books.

But then again, this is WAY off topic, because CHB knows jack about hockey or the Bruins.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
If I want preaching, I'll go to church. Dupont can stay behind his Globe subscription wall with CHB and I'll enjoy hockey without the "hey you kids get off my lawn" rants.

Ahem, somebody set off the "Irony Air Horn" then.

Maybe this *is* Church. It sure seems to me I am hearing another sermon right now.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

To each their own I guess... Made some very good points about what was going on...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad