Did the Globe get the memo?

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
The lockout is over someone needs to let them know they can start writing articles about the actual game of hockey. Who cares about the business side of it we have had enough of that crap. Sports are supposed to be a way to forget about economics and all that bs. They could always move the money talk/will the fans buy stuff chatter to the business section of the paper. How about some lineup projections or a little discussion of what has been going on in Providence. Come on Globe! The herald already has some stuff out.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
OK--it's been exactly 24 hours. let's not go crazy here...

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
The lockout is over someone needs to let them know they can start writing articles about the actual game of hockey. Who cares about the business side of it we have had enough of that crap. Sports are supposed to be a way to forget about economics and all that bs. They could always move the money talk/will the fans buy stuff chatter to the business section of the paper. How about some lineup projections or a little discussion of what has been going on in Providence. Come on Globe! The herald already has some stuff out.

Just shows how pointless newspapers now are.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

Lockout isn't even technically over -- and the tentative agreement was only reached over the weekend.

If we are going to simply jump immediately in to regular season mode without at least taking a moment to consider the outcome/fallout of several months of abject stupidity we might as well get ready for another lockout/strike as soon as this new CBA expires.

The NHL needs to get its crap in order -- and I'm grateful to the media sources that actually take the time to interpret what the final deal was and what the fallout might be.

The NHL/NHLPA were banking on us all screaming a collective "GAME ON" when this ridiculousness ended. If the Globe or anyone else wants to keep the business impact of the crap we just went through front and center for just a day or two, with any luck it might help the league and PA think about doing this AGAIN in 8 years. And history confirms that is exactly what will happen unless something changes.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Someone needs to tell Spitfire print media is dead.

The Globe has a web site.

I'm not a huge Haggs fan, but he's been doing a good job of keeping up with the Bruins overseas as well as the Baby B's. In contrast, the Globe has had very little coverage, though to be fair I haven't been checking their site every day. I rarely bother anymore.

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
Dupes and Haggs looked like complete buffoons on Sports Sunday last night. Felger was embarrassed for them. They were essentially screaming at eachother about who won the lockout.

So much so that when Felger had Shaughnessy and the other green-teamer on to talk about the C's he referred to them as the "2 of the more level headed journalists in this town"

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
CHB is an ambulance chaser who would rather write about lockerroom gossip than the team on the ice.

Last edited:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Dupes and Haggs looked like complete buffoons on Sports Sunday last night. Felger was embarrassed for them. They were essentially screaming at eachother about who won the lockout.

So much so that when Felger had Shaughnessy and the other green-teamer on to talk about the C's he referred to them as the "2 of the more level headed journalists in this town"

All three looked like boobs. Felger was screaming just as much and siding with Haggs, great moderator work there Felger.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

OMG that was a terrible show. It was sickening and obnoxious at the same time. I thought that the three of them were screaming but I came in a little late to it to judge. I got nothing from what I did see and it just (to me) felt like inflated ego's saying little to nothing new.
Re: The Globe
The lockout ended so early in the AM Sunday that it was too late to have actual hockey articles available and there was little to say anyway.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
OMG that was a terrible show. It was sickening and obnoxious at the same time. I thought that the three of them were screaming but I came in a little late to it to judge. I got nothing from what I did see and it just (to me) felt like inflated ego's saying little to nothing new.
Re: The Globe
The lockout ended so early in the AM Sunday that it was too late to have actual hockey articles available and there was little to say anyway.

As noted, they have a website. There is no deadline with a website. Plenty of other media were right on top of the story.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
And we wonder what happened to the quality of the board? Much better when Haggs and KPD posted here regularly...I really like both's work whether I agree with them or not..

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
People are also missing the point I think that other then people that post here not too many give a flying **** about hockey. :)

Whether people care deeply about hockey or not is irrelevant. The Globe used to be the standard-bearer for Boston sports, and Dupont as far as I could see did a lousy job during the lockout (I think Fluto's been on paternity leave). I'm not a big Haggs fan, as I said, but he's done a solid job not just on the CBA talks but on keeping his readers informed on the Bruins themselves. I am not a Larry Brooks fan, but he worked hard during the lockout and should get credit, as did many others.

The Globe's hockey coverage has been less than stellar for some time now. It's not the first place I go for news, that's for sure.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Whether people care deeply about hockey or not is irrelevant. The Globe used to be the standard-bearer for Boston sports, and Dupont as far as I could see did a lousy job during the lockout (I think Fluto's been on paternity leave). I'm not a big Haggs fan, as I said, but he's done a solid job not just on the CBA talks but on keeping his readers informed on the Bruins themselves. I am not a Larry Brooks fan, but he worked hard during the lockout and should get credit, as did many others.

I'm not always a KPD fan, but I always enjoy reading his Sunday hockey notes.

As far as "covering the lockout", what really was there to do?

"I hear good things....."
"I hear bad things......."
"Season is over"
"Season might be salvaged"
"I hear more good things......"
"It's not over until it's done....."
"It's done........"

I thought KPD actually did a fairly good job of routinely reminding everyone involved that the only thing more ridiculous than this lockout was the way the NHL and NHLPA have dealt with the labor situation over the past 20 years.

The NHL (all involved -- League, Owners, Players, Agents) need to get their house in order and KPD has pretty much preached that all along. Hard to argue with that IMO.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I'm not always a KPD fan, but I always enjoy reading his Sunday hockey notes.

As far as "covering the lockout", what really was there to do?

"Season is over"
"Season might be salvaged"
"I hear more good things......"
"It's not over until it's done....."
"It's done........"

I thought KPD actually did a fairly good job of routinely reminding everyone involved that the only thing more ridiculous than this lockout was the way the NHL and NHLPA have dealt with the labor situation over the past 20 years.

The NHL (all involved -- League, Owners, Players, Agents) need to get their house in order and KPD has pretty much preached that all along. Hard to argue with that IMO.

I don't need anyone preaching to me about the lockout, least of all Dupont. I just want news and some unbiased analysis. Lebrun was probably the best at that.

I also wanted to know, as a Bruins fan, what was happening with the players. That McQuaid was hospitalized apparently wasn't news enough for Dupont. Unless they hid that story on the subscription service.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I don't need anyone preaching to me about the lockout, least of all Dupont. I just want news and some unbiased analysis. Lebrun was probably the best at that.

I also wanted to know, as a Bruins fan, what was happening with the players. That McQuaid was hospitalized apparently wasn't news enough for Dupont. Unless they hid that story on the subscription service.

To each is own.

For me, much of the reporting during the lockout was essentially conjecture and speculation. That's not the fault of the reporters, just the nature of the lockout.

As far as "preaching" goes, someone has to do it -- even if it's irritating. I'm as happy as the next guy that they are playing again, but in the long run something has to finally get through to the league and the PA that this crap cannot continue to happen CBA after CBA.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
Fool me three times?? Well you're just taking the piss, aren't you?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Who/what is "CHB?"

Shaughnessy184.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad