Did Buffalo just cement a championship core?

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Why do people think every team is going to be the next Blackhawks? It's not happening. The CBA is different. The Sabres won't be able to sign Eichel and Dahlin until the sun burns out.

Mittelstadt isn't Patrick Kane, Morgan Rielly isn't Duncan Keith.
You mean Risto instead of Rielly?

Richardbro

Jul 22, 2009
Toronto
They're not winning anything with Lehner as their goalie. They also don't have a "Kane" equivalent on their team. And defense take longer to develop so I don't see Dahlin making a huge impact this year.

With that said, exciting core for sure, I could see them battling for a playoff spot this year if they upgrade their goalie.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
They've got a great young core, but still have a lot of building to do around it. Give it some time before we see just how good they could become. They had a seemingly good core of Eichel, ROR, Reinhart, Okposo, Kane, Risto, Scandella, etc. this year, but had poor depth around them, and were terrible.

They've certainly got the young stars covered now, but surrounding them with the right talent can still be tricky. Let's wait until they make the playoffs before talking about how far they are from being a championship team.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Here we go again with the Buffalo Sabres HF cup winning core predictions...
Why don't you guys wait. You were so wrong last time.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
The Hawks had a hell of a lot more than the 4 guys listed. The swords are a long way from contending. Baby steps. I'll settle for a run at the playoffs.

Buffalo does have upcoming depth. On top of Eichel, Mittelstadt, Risto & Dahlen, the Sabres also have:

ROR
Reinhart
Nylander
Okposo
Scandella
Ghule
ERod

Prospects:

Asplund
Pu
CJ Smith
O'Regan
Olofsson
Davidsson
Borgen

They have also apparently come to terms with Lawrence Pilut who lead all D in SHL scoring.

EDIT: Really need goaltending help.

Last edited:

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
add good depth in free agency, get a real starting goaltender, and watch the wins pile up. I tend to agree that Dahlin isn't enough to fix Buffalos problems alone, but swapping out a bunch of overpriced bad vets with guys like Mittlesdat, Guhle, Nylander, Pilut, Olofsson along with speedy depth players like Bailey, Baptiste, Pu, and Asplund, will help the turn around.

Now it's time to see if a team can win in Housleys system, and if we can get a goalie. Anyone who doesn't buy in now needs to be moved on from, immediately.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
First off, let me congratulate the Buffalo Sabres on acquiring the rights to Rasmus Dahlin. Well deserved and the team I was hoping for once the rags were eliminated from lotto.

Now, with Dahlin/Eichel/Mittelstadt/Risto this is feels this next generation's Keith/Toews/Kane/Seabrook with these 4. Buffalo can't possibly mess this up, can they? I'm not saying they should contend next year but are we finally sold on them?

not going to look

but how many posts did it take for someone to use "nhl rewarding those who tank" or something to that extent

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
trump-mouth-saying-wrong-closeup.jpg

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
They cemented a core player. They need to do a lot more to cement an actual championship core.

Making the playoffs would be a nice start.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I remember hearing all the championship core stuff about the Leafs, too and they just got bounced in the 1st two years in a row.
It's impossible to predict anything until they actually get close.
Hell of a core though. Need to make some big strides in quality depth, though.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Sabres needs to find an identity, instead of just randomly good (but not great) players like Okposo thrown into some kind of mix. Next season should be a test what players fit into that identity. If Risto isn’t improving next year, then perhaps they should look to trade him.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
For the first time in a long while - my Sabres are in need of a dependable rock in net. We've typically had solid netminders as far back as Crozier/Desjardin...

The last few years has been a craptastic experience in goal and we're not winning any championships unless Ullmark can step up. Hopefully, Luukkonen can mature so we can depend on a solid 1-2 punch in the coming years.

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I remember hearing all the championship core stuff about the Leafs, too and they just got bounced in the 1st two years in a row.
It's impossible to predict anything until they actually get close.
Hell of a core though. Need to make some big strides in quality depth, though.
You mean you heard it about the same Buffalo Sabres and they never made the playoffs. I am not sure why the Leafs losing in the first round means it's over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad