Did Buffalo just cement a championship core?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
First off, let me congratulate the Buffalo Sabres on acquiring the rights to Rasmus Dahlin. Well deserved and the team I was hoping for once the rags were eliminated from lotto.

Now, with Dahlin/Eichel/Mittelstadt/Risto this is feels this next generation's Keith/Toews/Kane/Seabrook with these 4. Buffalo can't possibly mess this up, can they? I'm not saying they should contend next year but are we finally sold on them?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
First off, let me congratulate the Buffalo Sabres on acquiring the rights to Rasmus Dahlin. Well deserved and the team I was hoping for once the rags were eliminated from lotto.

Now, with Dahlin/Eichel/Mittelstadt/Risto this is feels this next generation's Keith/Toews/Kane/Seabrook with these 4. Buffalo can't possibly mess this up, can they? I'm not saying they should contend next year but are we finally sold on them?
Mittelstadt looks good. But he's not really in the Dahlin, Eichel conversation. Buffalo needs to look at adding more high end prospect depth for sure. They have a good group of prospects that look like the could be bottom six nhl'ers but they need a little bit more quality top 6 depth and a little more top 4 defensive depth.

Reactions: Wings4Life

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
They managed to mess up with what they have so far, I don't see why one player changes anything. Dahlin and Eichel give them the #1D and #1C that they need, but that team has a gaping chasm just about everywhere else.They need real depth on both forward and defense and that will take a few years to build even if they do things properly. Add in at they still need a goalie, they are nowhere near being anointed future champs.

Reactions: cptjeff

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
no. for all we know they could all bust. they haven't played a game yet together, let alone a season, let alone multiple seasons.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Why do people think every team is going to be the next Blackhawks? It's not happening. The CBA is different. The Sabres won't be able to sign Eichel and Dahlin until the sun burns out.

Mittelstadt isn't Patrick Kane, Morgan Rielly isn't Duncan Keith.

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer

They have a talented core, lets all agree upon that. If you don't, then your judge of hockey player is up for debate. The CORE is talented. Mittelstadt needs to prove more so id be inclined to swap him and Reinhart around until we know more about him as an NHL player with a larger sample size, but all these player have had great youth careers. Just because you have a ton of talented players doesnt equate to success. As the 90 rangers teams who were spending 100 million plus and missing the playoffs with 2-4 super star players. They've gotta mesh well. The difference between Chicago and Buffalo is their younger guys are a D and Center, not a Center and Winger. Seabrook and Keith had time to develop while Toews and Kane pretty much walked into their respective roles. Could they be the next Chicago, sure they could easily with the right supporting case. Okposo could be a decent scoring threat, and O'rielly could fetch a nice youthful return in a PICK.

I feel more than half of buffalos roster issues would be solved with a bonifed starter between the pipes.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Thet’re looking good. Lock down their goaltending and they turn things around real quick. I think next year they will continue to struggle though.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

Need a good GM to make the right moves by adding quality depth and finding more talent for as little assets as possible, but it is a terrific core no doubt.

The Oilers in 2015 had a better core IMO of McDavid, Hall, RNH, Draisaitl, Nurse, Klefbom (16th+33 overall/Barzal/Connor/Dougie Hamilton) and look at us now.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The supporting cast isn’t there right now. You don’t win a cup off the heals of 3 or 4 players, this isn’t the NBA.

It is wayyyyy too early for this thread.

Reactions: ZZamboni

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
They have a nice spread out core.
Teams like Carolina and Toronto are bloated at either position....and have tougher decisions.

They need to find the right goaltender that works in their system. They are out there....

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Not even Dahlin can save that team right now, Its certainly a great piece towards fixing that mess, but a lot of work still needs to be done. They'll likely be back for another top 10 pick next year with him on the roster.

Reactions: VoraceksWristShot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad