Post-Game Talk: Devils Win! Devils 4 - Isles 0

3 stars of the game.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
I feel like I can't take this take seriously due to your name and avatar. It doesn't exactly scream impartial....

He was bad. I don't care what stats you throw at me, he had a bad start to the season. So-so defensively and poor offensively.

Now, he's turning it around. That's great and gives me hope for this season as a whole. This team needs him at his absolute best all year.

I would like this if I could.

I just find it somewhat alarming that some have Nico playing good hockey to start the year and has faded in his last couple of games.

I really don't understand that POV but it is what it is I guess. Everyone is intitled to their own opinion and I'll just leave it at that.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Given Jack plays strictly offensive minutes it's ridiculous to say he already has an elite defensive year under his belt.

He's great at possessing the puck, and he's been surprisingly good at going and getting the puck away from the opposition. But you have to consider his usage thus far. No way can we say he's been elite defensively.

Same goes for Mercer thus far.

Picking pockets is fantastic but I wouldn't call Jack Hughes an elite defender by any means.

There's about 5 guys, if note more, I'd want on the ice over Hughes when trying to protect a one goal lead with a minute left on the clock in the 3rd period.

Reactions: My3Sons

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I don't think Nico played well at all last night, he got a lucky bounce assist and otherwise his line was caved in, and they sat for a lot of the 3rd. I don't think Nico played that well against Florida either, but he did have a lot more offensive chances in that game as compared to last night.
A lucky bounce assist? Huh. He did very well and was a big part of making that happen. Sure they don’t get the goal if that puck doesn’t bounce to the right spot so there’s some luck involved but that is literally almost all goals in hockey. There was other plays where he could’ve easily gotten points. He’s been playing very well IMO. Is keeping possession, winning battles and helping to create offense for his line.

Every single one of our goals last night involved a lucky bounce. Tatars was a shot that went off him. Mercers bounced past the dman and then he tried to go five hole but missed that and it luckily ramped off Sorokins stick and in. On Hamilton’s, Graves missed the net and the puck bounced off two different boards right into Dougie’s wheelhouse.
That’s hockey man. doesn’t mean you discredit all of those points by calling them lucky bounce points. Nico did well and got a deserved point.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Complaining about Nico during this most recent stretch of games is...odd.

Its more people complaining about the complaining now that he’s had a streak of productive games that we haven’t seen since his rookie year, if then. Some of the actual criticism is just going overboard to push back on the narrative that points aren’t everything.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Its more people complaining about the complaining now that he’s had a streak of productive games that we haven’t seen since his rookie year, if then. Some of the actual criticism is just going overboard to push back on the narrative that points aren’t everything.

This is getting complicated now... the complaining about the complaining will lead to more complaining, of the complaining.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Or you can not get caught up in these silly narratives and appreciate that we have really good centers aged 22, 21, and 20.
The words are all meaningless. There is a record...

You say "really good centers"...those too are more meaningless words

The record is: 2 #1OA's that have combined for 361 games and 209 points.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
All it takes is this powerplay to get going and you all are going to eat your words in Nico. He'll have a few extra assists and what not and people will turn when he has 25-40 this year.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
The funny thing was people thinking Bahl was better than Siegs even though Bahl got his shit pushed in while Siegs was pretty good but got no saves
Bahl may never make it, at least not in NJ. I predict he will be trade bait.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
Adding legitimate defenseman and more depth will change your perceptions of a lot of players this year. No longer staying the status quo.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

No, see, it's this sort of stuff that is outright delusional. Nico has had basically the same level of production every year of his career. Last year he was missing a couple of assists. His lowest PPG mark is .52 in his injury-shortened season last year, his highest is .68 in his sophomore year. What was missing in 19-20 was his ability to drive play, which seems to have come back this year.

Nico had 4 4-game point streaks in 19-20. A 4 game point streak for a player who scores like Nico is not particularly remarkable (and likewise, neither was his point drought at the beginning of the season). Nobody cared because the Devils lost a lot of these games and the team didn't go anywhere.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Picking pockets is fantastic but I wouldn't call Jack Hughes an elite defender by any means.

There's about 5 guys, if note more, I'd want on the ice over Hughes when trying to protect a one goal lead with a minute left on the clock in the 3rd period.
I'm not sure I believe his Take-away numbers are real. After he record 9 vs Chicago, I don't think I am buying what they bean counter is selling.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
The words are all meaningless. There is a record...

You say "really good centers"...those too are more meaningless words

The record is: 2 #1OA's that have combined for 361 games and 209 points.
giphy.gif

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I feel like I can't take this take seriously due to your name and avatar. It doesn't exactly scream impartial....

He was bad. I don't care what stats you throw at me, he had a bad start to the season. So-so defensively and poor offensively.

Now, he's turning it around. That's great and gives me hope for this season as a whole. This team needs him at his absolute best all year.

Again, just plain untrue. Not based on anything factual.

Reactions: Hisch13r
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad