Post-Game Talk: Devils Win! Devils 4 - Isles 0

3 stars of the game.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Year 3: Patience. Remember McKinnon didn't break out immediately
Year 4: Bad breaks, Covid, weird year doesn't really count...Remember McKinnon didn't break out immediately. Next year will definitely be the year.
Year 5: He's just not a point producer, he's a good all around two way guy be happy with that.

Reactions: Bosskarelli

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
You have to stop thinking that the posters who wanted more out Nico were saying no pts = he's playing bad, because that's not the case at all.

You can throw every analytic stat in the book our way, he was nowhere as effective to start off the year, as he's been in the past couple of games. It might not be a fact based on your stats but it's eye popping to the ones who just sit back and watch the game.

I think some, not all, are wayyyyyyyyyy too focused on #'s and it's taking away the ability to analyze a game just by looking at what is happening on the ice instead of a stat sheet. Yes, I do know that your wonderful stats are somewhat representative of what happens on the ice but stats don't paint the entire picture and that's a concept that some aren't grasping.

You can have a 3 point night and have a horrible game. The contrary is also true. Saying that Nico has been playing the same way since the start of the season isn't true but hey, more power to you if you see it that way.

There's no way in your universe that a player can have a 3 point night and have a horrible game. Just stop lying about what you believe - you believe that points = contrbutions, and Nico's getting points, so he is contributing. The fact that Nico was a + at even strength all along doesn't factor in at all for you.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Pretty sure the OP was referring to the fact that the Mercer pick was the Hall pick from the Coyotes

Ergo: Larsson -> Hall -> Mercer, one-for-one

Ah I see what you mean now. I think we did well out of that, especially because that's not the end of the trade tree. One of the picks we got from the Coyotes for Hall we flipped to the Caps for Siegenthaler, and Bahl still has a shot at becoming a real player.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
I'm sure others have a much better grasp on trade trees, and maybe this one's been done before, but if I'm tracking this correctly, it's gone...

Larsson -> Hall -> -Speers, +Mercer,Bahl,Siegenthaler,Jaros,Schnarr

Mercer alone makes it worthwhile, especially with years of team control. Love his skillset and compete. Kid seems to flat out love to play.

Siegenthaler has been quietly solid in his role and is an RFA after next year.

Bahl may yet feature in our future as he gains experience.

Jaros and Schnarr may see spot action and are also RFAs at the end of their deals.

Reactions: Dialamo

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Year 3: Patience. Remember McKinnon didn't break out immediately
Year 4: Bad breaks, Covid, weird year doesn't really count...Remember McKinnon didn't break out immediately. Next year will definitely be the year.
Year 5: He's just not a point producer, he's a good all around two way guy be happy with that.

Or you can not get caught up in these silly narratives and appreciate that we have really good centers aged 22, 21, and 20.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
You repeatedly said he was playing poorly and wasn’t trying hard enough and all types of wrong things. I’m not going to dig through all your posts but it was relentless criticism that wasn’t really fact-based at all. You keep trying to shift the argument by saying he shouldn’t be above criticism. Obviously that’s true. But the way you were doing it was totally foolish.

Answer this question and you'll probably understand my point (or not lol).

Was Nico Hischier playing like he's been playing in the last 2 or 3 games, to start the year?

If your answer is no, which it should be if your being 100% honest with yourself, well there you go because I'm expecting him to play like he's been playing for those 2 or 3 games, 82 times a year. He's being paid to do just that and was named captain because of it as well. You can also see that I haven't refered to point total once in my expectations.

Ignoring that is basically sticking your head in the sand and avoiding a valid point on purpose, for reasons I can't understand.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Answer this question and you'll probably understand my point (or not lol).

Was Nico Hischier playing like he's been playing in the last 2 or 3 games, to start the year?

If your answer is no, which it should be if your being 100% honest with yourself, well there you go because I'm expecting him to play like he's been playing for those 2 or 3 games, 82 times a year. He's being paid to do just that and was named captain because of it as well. You can also see that I haven't refered to point total once in my expectations.

Ignoring that is basically sticking your head in the sand and avoiding a valid point on purpose, for reasons I can't understand.
I would say his first few games he was playing fairly well, not skating quite as well as he is now. He had one real stinker against the Capitals. He looked off after he took that cross check to the ribs.

His poor point production to start the year clouded your vision to the point that you were ignoring all of the chances he was creating and the lack of chances against that were happening when he was on the ice. And honestly right now his line with Zacha and Holtz hasn’t been very effective, but he’s getting points so that doesn’t matter (it will when he goes 3 games without a point).

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
There's no way in your universe that a player can have a 3 point night and have a horrible game. Just stop lying about what you believe - you believe that points = contrbutions, and Nico's getting points, so he is contributing. The fact that Nico was a + at even strength all along doesn't factor in at all for you.

"I know what you're thinking, what you believe in and I know you're lying"

LOL... whatever you say buddy!

Must be fun to work for Miss Cleo?

maxresdefault.jpg

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't think Nico played well at all last night, he got a lucky bounce assist and otherwise his line was caved in, and they sat for a lot of the 3rd. I don't think Nico played that well against Florida either, but he did have a lot more offensive chances in that game as compared to last night.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Siegenthaler was another guy people wanted to send to the gulag after he was thrown to the wolves last season.

The first 10 games of this season should have made it obvious that rushing to judgment based on last year was a mistake. Nearly all of last years whipping boys (that are still with the team) are playing fantastic right now.

The funny thing was people thinking Bahl was better than Siegs even though Bahl got his shit pushed in while Siegs was pretty good but got no saves

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I don't think Nico played well at all last night, he got a lucky bounce assist and otherwise his line was caved in, and they sat for a lot of the 3rd. I don't think Nico played that well against Florida either, but he did have a lot more offensive chances in that game as compared to last night.

I don’t think anyone was particularly great against Florida besides Blackwood but Nico was probably one of the better skaters

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
I would say his first few games he was playing fairly well, not skating quite as well as he is now. He had one real stinker against the Capitals. He looked off after he took that cross check to the ribs.

His poor point production to start the year clouded your vision to the point that you were ignoring all of the chances he was creating and the lack of chances against that were happening when he was on the ice. And honestly right now his line with Zacha and Holtz hasn’t been very effective, but he’s getting points so that doesn’t matter (it will when he goes 3 games without a point).

See, we have two very different opinions of what we want from Nico Hischier.

You were happy with his game to start off the year, despite saying he wasn't skating all that well and you're saying he hasn't been very effective since, when I think he's been playing his best hockey so far to date in the past 2 or 3 games.

No wonder we're going back and forth on the subjet and once again, I never mentioned points a single time so please stop saying that his point total, or lack thereof, was the reason why I was asking for more from him. His overall play wasn't there and I wanted to see more, points or not points, which is exactly what he's given the last couple of games.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
People saw the poor team performances in the Washington and Calgary games and decided it was all Nico's fault because he didn't have any points. Even though he was playing fine individually and just not getting bounces outside of those two games.

We've been above .500 all season, which is whats really baffling to me. At our worst point this season we were middle of the pack. When miraculously managed to stay afloat with a .500 record with no Hughes or Hamilton, yet you read one of these threads and people are acting like we're the 2015 Sabres. It's just bizarre and not at all rooted in reality.

Somewhere down the line "the team is incapable of winning unless Nico scores" just became accepted as fact even though it's objectively not true. Most people agreed the playoff bubble would be a reasonable expectation and we've consistently been at above that level.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
He didn't stink. No pts in a small sample =/= Stinking. He was playing well. His shot contributions were there, the underlying numbers were great, his defense was improved. Literally just didn't produce much in a handful of games.

I feel like I can't take this take seriously due to your name and avatar. It doesn't exactly scream impartial....

He was bad. I don't care what stats you throw at me, he had a bad start to the season. So-so defensively and poor offensively.

Now, he's turning it around. That's great and gives me hope for this season as a whole. This team needs him at his absolute best all year.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I find that sometimes people have very short memories when watching games lol, myself included at times. Like a player could be having an okay game, have a nice shift or get a point, and then there are posts saying "you know X player has quietly had a good game." Not really they just had a good shift. Same thing with a bad shift, a player could be having a good game, make one mistake and people all of sudden are acting like they've been terrible all game.

Kinda funny

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I find that sometimes people have very short memories when watching games lol, myself included at times. Like a player could be having an okay game, have a nice shift or get a point, and then there are posts saying "you know X player has quietly had a good game." Not really they just had a good shift. Same thing with a bad shift, a player could be having a good game, make one mistake and people all of sudden are acting like they've been terrible all game.

Kinda funny

Yup. Everyone’s personal biases also play into that pretty heavily. If you like a guy you’re more likely to focus on anything good they do and ignore or downplay the bad and vice versa

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Yup. Everyone’s personal biases also play into that pretty heavily. If you like a guy you’re more likely to focus on anything good they do and ignore or downplay the bad and vice versa

Exactly why I probably tend to overrated Zacha. But come on he can looks soo good at times!

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Jack already has an elite defensive year… You can’t compare rookie years when Mercer is 20 for his and Jack played his first 2 seasons at 18 and 19. This is both of their 20 year old season
Given Jack plays strictly offensive minutes it's ridiculous to say he already has an elite defensive year under his belt.

He's great at possessing the puck, and he's been surprisingly good at going and getting the puck away from the opposition. But you have to consider his usage thus far. No way can we say he's been elite defensively.

Same goes for Mercer thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad