Votes: 13 3.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Maybe Montreal takes Cooley and defers the Wright vs Slafkovsky debate to us lol

In that case we might consider trading with Arizona, so they can get their franchise center, and we can take Slafkovsky as we originally planned, while picking up an extra asset. Or we might just take Wright.

Montreal probably won't do that though. So this is just a fun thought experiment.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Holy shit and this is after playing for 2 weeks straight in the world championships. One of the heaviest players in the league already.

I picture that old comic strip with the butcher weighing somebodies deli meat and has his finger on the edge of the scale so the number goes higher :laugh:

Reactions: My3Sons

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
In that case we might consider trading with Arizona, so they can get their franchise center, and we can take Slafkovsky as we originally planned, while picking up an extra asset. Or we might just take Wright.

Montreal probably won't do that though. So this is just a fun thought experiment.

It’d have to be a pretty decent add for me to consider that. I think there’s a pretty definitive edge between the 2

Reactions: Forge

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I think it’s time for a new poll.

Who do you want the devils take if Wright goes 1st:
Slafkovsky
Cooley
Nemec
Jiricek
Other/trade it

Who do you think the devils get:
Wright
Slafkovsky
Cooley
Nemec
Jiricek
Trade it/Other

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The weight thing on Slaf is interesting, but presumably his skills are his defining trait? His size just gives him a greater likelihood of being able to apply his skills? I didn't see him play with any aggression in the Worlds, but what I did see is a guy who took a cheap shot check from a player who left his feet to drill Slaf into the boards and Slaf missed maybe one shift. If his size allows him to withstand a Trouba elbow it's done its job.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
The weight thing on Slaf is interesting, but presumably his skills are his defining trait? His size just gives him a greater likelihood of being able to apply his skills? I didn't see him play with any aggression in the Worlds, but what I did see is a guy who took a cheap shot check from a player who left his feet to drill Slaf into the boards and Slaf missed maybe one shift. If his size allows him to withstand a Trouba elbow it's done its job.
I think it’s just goes more to how rare of a combination he is. He has an elite skillset combined with ridiculous size. That’s incredibly rare and outside of Ovechkin is kind of unseen in the NHL. Ovechkin was only like 200lbs when drafted though and none of these other power forward types were close to his size. Just goes more to the rarity of Slafkovsky.

The important debate is about his skillset though and how well it will translate. And as you know I think he has an elite skillset that should translate.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think it’s just goes more to how rare of a combination he is. He has an elite skillset combined with ridiculous size. That’s incredibly rare and outside of Ovechkin is kind of unseen in the NHL. Ovechkin was only like 200lbs when drafted though and none of these other power forward types were close to his size. Just goes more to the rarity of Slafkovsky.

The important debate is about his skillset though and how well it will translate. And as you know I think he has an elite skillset that should translate.
Your last point is the most important one to me. For now, I don't see a "power" forward. I see a skilled forward who will be able to withstand certain attempts to slow him down. I trust my own eyes and he certainly looks skilled for an 18 year old kid and I trust the thoughtful attempts to describe his game - yours included. I only watched a few U-18 games and while Cooley stood out he didn't jump out as clearly the best player the way a Jack Hughes did at that age. I haven't watched Wright at all to even know.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
2022 NHL Draft Rankings: Logan Cooley tops Shane Wright in final list - Daily Faceoff

Chris Peters drops his list.

Goes Cooley-Wright-Slaf. He believes Cooley has the biggest potential to be an offensive force.
Also:

"In my view, there is a clear top three in this draft and then the rest kind of falls where it may. The top three players on my board – Logan Cooley, Shane Wright and Juraj Slafkovsky – are in a tier all their own and I would say all three are very tightly packed together."

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
2022 NHL Draft Rankings: Logan Cooley tops Shane Wright in final list - Daily Faceoff

Chris Peters drops his list.

Goes Cooley-Wright-Slaf. He believes Cooley has the biggest potential to be an offensive force.

"This is a tough case to read, because we have a body of work that suggests he’s statistically not among top-tier players in his own league historically, but we have this immense skillset that is so unique in this draft class that it’s impossible to overlook. I think Slafkovsky is right in the mix with Cooley and Wright to be the best players in this class, and even though I know what the numbers say, I can’t get past the incredible ceiling I believe his size-and-skill package creates."

I'd basically say the opposite of this. I can't look past the numbers and think there's too much risk at 2 since I don't think him hitting that ceiling is likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad