Votes: 13 3.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Nothing, but for a guy who challenged other well known guys who do this stuff and does get it right more often than not, I find it weird he becomes so attached to consensus #1 guys.

Also idk what you mean in the bolded part, that's not really what I was talking about.

I don't see Luke busting at all, seeing how other offensive dmen prospects were. They weren't exactly defensive studs as prospects. Absolutely nothing to worry about.
I 100% agree with you, I'm not worried. He does have things to work on in his own end, but as you said, it's not uncommon for this breed of D-men. So refreshing to have a guy like that in the pipeline!

Reactions: My3Sons

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
If the team are bearish on Slaf we have plenty of options that don't include going off the board. Now isn't the time to be clever.

Id honestly trade down with Arizona if we are so set on trading the pick. That way we can get our defensive juggernaut, doesn't matter which one, and still probably acquire another prime asset or two.

Or, if Montreal takes Slaf then this makes Fitz' job extremely easy and he runs to the podium like he's Usian Bolt to take Shane Wright.

Yet, TBH, if we trade down to the 3rd spot, I hear many on here talking about how our center depth dips after Hughes and Nico. Drafting a Logan Cooley and having him in the mix would provide the organization a level of center depth not seen since those championship Pittsburgh Penguin teams.

Crosby
Malkin
Stall

Hughes
Nico
Cooley

That's the foundation of a championship team as much of drafting someone like any top prospect we can name in this draft.

Reactions: hobgoblin933

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I think Luke is a pretty safe bet offensively. I'm pretty certain he'll at least be a 50-ish point d-man based off of his offensive abilities and skating alone. With that being said, you'll hear no argument from me in regards to his defensive game, he definitely has work to do there, as most young, offensive minded d-men do. I'm not too worried about it though. I doubt he'll ever be a defensive rock, but if he can be at least average and serviceable, then great.
Luke Hughes' defensive upside can be pretty appropriately compared to Cale Makar. When he was drafted -- and we can all go back and look -- there were myriad questions asked about Makar's play in his own zone, which were pretty similar to those asked about Luke. We also need to realize that with all offensive defenseman, there is some degree of inherent risk-taking which can cause chances against.

But watching Makar's brilliant defensive play against Connor McDavid in the conference finals, we should ask ourselves how many NHL defenseman have both the speed and strength to make such a play. Luke Hughes has this type of potential.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’m not sure Luke was or even is safe at this point. I mean yes he’s going to be an NHL player but he has enough to work on to the point where is legitimate bust potential. Notably, he’s not good enough in his own zone and has too many bad turnovers. He obviously has high end potential but I think other prospects such as Power, Beniers and Mctavish are much safer IMO.
Look at the scrubs drawing an NHL paycheck on defense. I can’t see him not being an NHL player better than a guy like Risto for example. Again I’m just going by what Castron said about teams worry about guys just making the league.

If the team are bearish on Slaf we have plenty of options that don't include going off the board. Now isn't the time to be clever.

Id honestly trade down with Arizona if we are so set on trading the pick. That way we can get our defensive juggernaut, doesn't matter which one, and still probably acquire another prime asset or two.

Or, if Montreal takes Slaf then this makes Fitz' job extremely easy and he runs to the podium like he's Usian Bolt to take Shane Wright.

Yet, TBH, if we trade down to the 3rd spot, I hear many on here talking about how our center depth dips after Hughes and Nico. Drafting a Logan Cooley and having him in the mix would provide the organization a level of center depth not seen since those championship Pittsburgh Penguin teams.

Crosby
Malkin
Stall

Hughes
Nico
Cooley

That's the foundation of a championship team as much of drafting someone like any top prospect we can name in this draft.
Why would AZ make that trade? Maybe NJ can get a team at 6 or 7 to move up but I’m skeptical a team in the top five does it.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Posters are questioning the Devils’ center depth? The Hughes/Hischier/Mercer/Boqvist/Sharangovich/McLeod center depth? Not to mention Zacha who shouldn’t play center and probably shouldn’t be on the team next year.

That said, I’d still be perfectly happy with Wright or Cooley.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Posters are questioning the Devils’ center depth? The Hughes/Hischier/Mercer/Boqvist/Sharangovich/McLeod center depth? Not to mention Zacha who shouldn’t play center and probably shouldn’t be on the team next year.

That said, I’d still be perfectly happy with Wright or Cooley.
Hughes/Mercer/Boquist/McLeod/Zacha/someother guy whose name escapes me

Reactions: Guttersniped

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Crosby
Malkin
Stall

Hughes
Nico
Cooley

Only way Arizona has any incentive to trade with us is if we take Cooley and force them to give us 3+ for him. If we move down to 3 with them then Cooley isn't going to be there. That's going to be the guy they want. If we're taking a forward I just take him at 2 and I wouldn't have any issues with that. He'd be my 2nd choice behind Jiricek

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
What? Who are you and where is my Reader’s Digest?

do they even f***ing exist anymore?

i know they used to send out free copies looking for subscriptions but what came in the mail was a bullshit, 'here, like this' that was barely 1/4" thick in hopes one would like the content and buy the full print

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Hughes/Mercer/Boquist/McLeod/Zacha/someother guy whose name escapes me
Thompson ?

do they even f***ing exist anymore?

i know they used to send out free copies looking for subscriptions but what came in the mail was a bullshit, 'here, like this' that was barely 1/4" thick in hopes one would like the content and buy the full print
I just remember my grandparents got them and I would look through them hoping to see some African jungle titties lol .

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Thompson ?

I just remember my grandparents got them and I would look through them hoping to see some African jungle titties lol .

you're thinking of national geographic :laugh:

Last edited:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
you're thinking of national geographic :laugh:

Yes lol , sorry . I must have just pictured Resders digest and thought if the glorious jingle boobs instead . They were the same size magazines though . Grandparents got both of them . Lol ya I’m pretty certain Readers Digest didn’t have any titty pics lol .

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Hey guys, let me know what you think of my new draft resource thread -- I think it will make it easier for you guys to reference the prospects if they're all alphabetized, and I also added some video.

I've finished A thru I, and it took me all f**king night. But I'll do J-Q and then R-Z as soon as I get a chance. I'll also add in the player rankings once I do my final rankings.

Let me know if you have any formatting advice, but this was the best I could do on the HFBoards page. Any advice leave for me on a different thread, because I want that thread to be strictly a reference and don't want to clog it up with commentary.

I think it's pretty good for you guys, because it's pretty comprehensive and completely free, and usually you have to pay for that type of comprehensive draft coverage.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Hey guys, let me know what you think of my new draft resource thread -- I think it will make it easier for you guys to reference the prospects if they're all alphabetized, and I also added some video.

I've finished A thru I, and it took me all f**king night. But I'll do J-Q and then R-Z as soon as I get a chance. I'll also add in the player rankings once I do my final rankings.

Let me know if you have any formatting advice, but this was the best I could do on the HFBoards page. Any advice leave for me on a different thread, because I want that thread to be strictly a reference and don't want to clog it up with commentary.

I think it's pretty good for you guys, because it's pretty comprehensive and completely free, and usually you have to pay for that type of comprehensive draft coverage.
You’re a legend! Super informative and I’ll be using them thoroughly on Draft Day for sure!

Thanks again for all the work you put in here Steve!

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Well Nico vs Patrick might not be the best comparison from that draft, especially since Patrick had all the injury concerns.

But how about Nico vs Makar. Makar had clear talent, but was a smallish d-man, and he played a lower level of hockey. Nico was not considered super high end talent but he was well rounded and performed really well in the CHL, as well as international play. Not sure if there were many arguing Makar had higher upside at that point, but Nico was the safer, and I think at that time, the better pick.

Heiskanen vs Makar is another example of that imo.
There were many people touting Makar as a potential elite talent in that draft. It’s just that he had so much risk he was slotted down 5-8 in a lot of mocks. But I saw a lot of people saying he could be truly special and could be the best player in the draft.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

I remember seeing this before the draft. There were certainly rumblings that we could take makar. He must have been 2 on our list who knows

Corey Pronman claimed (and still claims) he had a source that the Devils were going to select Makar at 1. I remember the fan reaction at the time was generally negative, which is understandable (taking a AJHL defenseman at #1OA would probably be a first and only). Who knows, maybe it was an intentional leak to gauge fan reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad