GDT: Devils vs. Sharks - 10:30 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I used to think that with Lou leaving the Devil's were more open and honest about player conditions but I don't feel that way this season so far. This Cammy situation really bothers me someone mentioned a death in the family I can understand that but there isn't any reason not to say that IMO, not so personal. Could be another Dano situation he had ?¡been playing poorly except for two games before going out. Is Auvitu unable to play or is this an excuse for Hynes to get Merrill in the game? Hall I understand but to say he will be back in 3 or 4 weeks maybe distorting the time out. They don't want the fans to give up and not show Last on paper the team looked better than it has been playing should we be talking about coaching? We realize now that there is zero depth on this team and full strength is weak.

When are people going to realize that injury secrecy was never a "Lou thing"? Almost every team/GM in the league operates in a similar manner. It's part of the NHL culture. Seems like our fans live in a bubble sometimes.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Honestly, I don't find Henrique's play all of that surprising. I gave up on yesterday's game after the first in favor of sleep and listened to most of the Kings game on the radio, but I've watched him the other 16 games and I really don't see any difference in him vs. any other season. Sure, he scored 30 goals last year but he's always been a very streaky player and sometimes he doesn't look all that interested out there, imho. His play definitely hasn't been great thus far but it's pretty much in line with what I was expecting. I think the goal output last year set fan's expectations way too high. I was never really high on him to begin with so my view may be a bit negative.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Probably because we are 4 points way from being 27th in the league and that's where we will be very quickly if things don't change.

- We're currently in the playoffs... "we are 4 pts away from being 27th in the league"
- We're currently out of the playoffs... "we are 4 pts away from being 27th in the league"

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
So now Henrique is overated and isn't a top #6 center?

Jesus Christ :facepalm:

On a good team, he's playing wing. Get him a high volume of shots and stop wasting him with the 200 foot game. His job is to score goals. You can keep him on the PK though. Look who's playing ahead of him. LOL Zajac and Henrique have to be one of the worst top center combos in the NHL. And it's not Ray's fault. Centers are hard to come by.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
When are people going to realize that injury secrecy was never a "Lou thing"? Almost every team/GM in the league operates in a similar manner. It's part of the NHL culture. Seems like our fans live in a bubble sometimes.

Because EVERYthing with Lou was a state secret, so people assumed we'd be more transparent with injuries too. If anything that's actually gotten worse.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Even DeBoer acknowledged Adam's strengths on the wing.

DeBoer’s answer makes sense.

Adam Henrique is not historically an assist guy. I don’t know what the number is, but it’s not a big number and it was not a big number last year. Adam is more of a straight-line player and a shooter."

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
On a good team, he should be playing wing. He is a sniper. Center is too much for him, especially top 6. If we had better pivots in the top 6, our wings would perform better.

Which is why I especially don't understand having him center Boucher.

I'd like to see Henrique-Zacha-Lappin as the second line, if Palmieri is out Wednesday. I know we've seen Zacha be Henrique's LW already, but I think the dynamic would be entirely different if it were Zacha centering that duo.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Came in this thread expecting a meltdown...was not disappointed.

Bad game. Tough luck with injuries. They're a bubble playoff team. Anyone expecting them to consistently go on 5-6 game win tears is bound to be disappointed.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Which is why I especially don't understand having him center Boucher.

I'd like to see Henrique-Zacha-Lappin as the second line, if Palmieri is out Wednesday. I know we've seen Zacha be Henrique's LW already, but I think the dynamic would be entirely different if it were Zacha centering that duo.

The center depth is so poor that Hynes has to plug him in there. It's an organizational reality.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Since when do centers HAVE to be the assist guys? Why can't you have a playmaking wing and a scoring center? (in before people say we have neither :sarcasm:)

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I'd prefer Josefson at (gasp) 3C if it means Zacha can play up a line and Henrique can be put in a better position to succeed.

Perhaps. They need someone who's capable to feed and setup Henrique. Remember that late season tear he went on with Elias at center?

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Since when do centers HAVE to be the assist guys? Why can't you have a playmaking wing and a scoring center? (in before people say we have neither :sarcasm:)

Of course, there are deviations. Hall plays more like a center than a traditional wing. But Henrique's entire game is better suited for wing in a perfect world. He can attack the net more without being worried about getting caught behind.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Perhaps. They need someone who's capable to feed and setup Henrique. Remember that late season tear he went on with Elias at center?

Using the players we dressed last night, I would have done:

Bennett-Zajac-Parenteau
Henrique-Zacha-Lappin
Boucher-Josefson-SmithPelly
Kalinin-Fiddler-Pietila

That bottom-6 is reminiscent of last year's crap, but that has to be expected with three top forwards out of the lineup.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Did anyone else just laugh through the entire segment of replays of Quincey's own goal? It just seemed like it summed up the entire game perfectly.

To put it bluntly, last night's game was an absolute embarrassment throughout the entire 60 minutes. The only bright spots of last nights game was Zacha and Kinkaid. Josefson was the most notable after those three, but I think that was more of a product of the entire team playing terribly.

I'm going to refrain from making any judgements on last night aside from the positives just because that was a collective ****show as a team.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn

We had a preeeeetttty famous line combo some years back that did exactly that. One of the guys on it may come back this season.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

If you have a shoot first center, you need to have a playmaking winger. Ehlers playing alongside Schiefele this year is a good example. Cammalleri and Hall have both taken on that playmaking role from the wings.

And before we jump on Zajac/Henrique not being a good enough center duo, let's not forget that Hall/Cammalleri are the offense drivers on each line. It's no surprise they struggle when they don't have a player to carry the offense. Bennett needs to go back to a lower line when Hall comes back so he can drive play against lesser opponents.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Because of a center's location on the ice he should be the best distributor of the puck. Obviously this won't always be the case, there've been plenty of good wingers who've thrived as assist men, but in general this is what you want. Henrique playing center confers no advantage to the Devils - he's not some defensive wizard, nor is he great at faceoffs (not that that would matter a ton if he were, faceoffs are easily the most overrated aspect of a player's game around here). He's only there because the Devils don't have any better options and it's hard to imagine a time when they will.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Because of a center's location on the ice he should be the best distributor of the puck. Obviously this won't always be the case, there've been plenty of good wingers who've thrived as assist men, but in general this is what you want. Henrique playing center confers no advantage to the Devils - he's not some defensive wizard, nor is he great at faceoffs (not that that would matter a ton if he were, faceoffs are easily the most overrated aspect of a player's game around here). He's only there because the Devils don't have any better options and it's hard to imagine a time when they will.
Well said. It is what it is. This embodies the growing pains of the rebuild.

AgentBrodeur

Jul 19, 2016
new jersey
I am not sure its time to send the general alarm yet. It sure is for the PSE&G Power Play

you have to promote through within (not lines) but effort (not scoring) giveaways, takeaways, hits, that tape to tape pass, scoring chances created. I dont ever want Henriques name on a bad list. Until he doesnt score 30 on the regular, PM me else wise. JJ is a playmaker and for some reason a shoot out guy. Which is a very odd combination. So he is still in my suspect column for sometime now. Lappin is a huge plus we are able to put him in the line up. Merill is pretty much done for, I hope i am wrong. This is what happens when you do not draft and get the correct FA. I wanted Pirri, Zibanajad 100%, but they are on the RAGS!!!

You cannot blame this all on 1 guy. If Hall is the only thing that makes this team , THATS NOT ENOUGH. But with Cammy and Palmeri out too just forget about last night and thankfully I dont watch late games. The power play is a disaster, i would sit the entire team down, and have them watch every Rangers "Its a Power Play Goal" and after that, insert clips of the devils cup runs and make them watch it.

Then add weights to every piece of equipment they have evenly and do full shifts for a full game.

Again..... Again...... Again......Again....

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
On a good team, he's playing wing. Get him a high volume of shots and stop wasting him with the 200 foot game. His job is to score goals. You can keep him on the PK though. Look who's playing ahead of him. LOL Zajac and Henrique have to be one of the worst top center combos in the NHL. And it's not Ray's fault. Centers are hard to come by.

The thing is we don't have anyone else to slide at the center position. We have left wings galore, mediocre centers (I prefer Henrique on the wing btw) and one legit right wing. Like you said, centers are hard to come by and when Zajac is your #1 option, you're in trouble. I love his 2 way game and he's our best defensive forward but at some point, you need to put up just that, points!

If he needs a world class talent on his wing (Parise or Hall) to average 60 pts per season, something's wrong. He should be making his wingers better, not the other way around IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad