GDT: Devils vs. Red Wings - 7:30 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I thought of you and my friend, who had to suffer through the horrendous 2014 Black Friday game against the Red Wings. Which featured a botched full 2 minute 5 on 3 PP, but at least we did allow a shorty that night.:shakehead

That same friend usually visits back in Jersey for the holidays, but didn't go this year. He was saying that if he did go, he would have went to this game. As he doesn't like hanging out with his future in-laws, they're all a bunch of drunks during the holidays.

I texted him asking him if he's happy he didn't attend this one. His first reply back was with no words and 4 of the emoji's that are featured in my avatar.:laugh:

Yeah, I'm thinking I should just quit attending games against the Red Wings that happen to take place on Black Friday, since there seems to be some weird voodoo curse around my attendance of them. :laugh:

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I don't like turkey much myself. I'd rather eat the kind you get a deli meat than the cooked turkey at Thanksgiving. I usually have a wing or two and a leg and that's it. It doesn't taste that good to me and gives me hiccups if I swallow too much of it at once.

I've heard eating a lot of it causes excess gas and discomfort, many players looked like they felt that tonight. I never eat enough of it to experience that.:laugh:

Although they did look pretty bad on Wednesday too. Must have had bad food on the flight back from San Jose or something.

I'm not really a big turkey person myself. I much prefer stuffing and mashed potatoes and other side dishes. My plate is normally a bit of turkey and a ton of sides.

But the Devils definitely looked like were still on holiday and had eaten too much turkey.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Still haven't lost a regulation game at home.

Win tomorrow and I can forgive tonight.
We usually play the Pens better than cream of the crap, although we had gotten 10 out of possible 10 points against the bad teams this year, before tonight. Now we've gotten 11 out 12. I consider the Wings a crap team this year. Their D is suspect, their scoring is meh, although you would never know that by tonight. Their special teams suck, their coach looks like a novice. And their goaltending (Mrazek) has been terrible this year and while Howard has been good, he's been awful for 3 years prior and could be injured after tonight.

That said, getting a win in Pittsburgh lately is like pulling teeth. MAF has been utter garbage this year and Pittsburgh would be lucky to have Vegas take him off their hands. Otherwise, they're stuck with him or have to buy him out. It looks like they're starting Murray against us tomorrow. So nice of them to leave us the better goaltender, every other team starts their scrub backup against us in a back to back.:laugh:
Yeah, I'm thinking I should just quit attending games against the Red Wings that happen to take place on Black Friday, since there seems to be some weird voodoo curse around my attendance of them. :laugh:
Hopefully we get a new opponent for Black Friday next year. I think we played Montreal last year and had a back to back home and home with them.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Hopefully we get a new opponent for Black Friday next year. I think we played Montreal last year and had a back to back home and home with them.

Yeah, we need to play a team that won't give me bad flashbacks. Maybe that's what happened to the Devils tonight, too. They remembered the last time they played Detroit on Black Friday turned into a total fiasco.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not really a big turkey person myself. I much prefer stuffing and mashed potatoes and other side dishes. My plate is normally a bit of turkey and a ton of sides.

But the Devils definitely looked like were still on holiday and had eaten too much turkey.

I don't like stuffing either. If I had it my way, I'd stay home and eat steak or hot wings or something. But I always get invited over to my friends house. They get this huge turkey and between his 4 kids, him, his wife and myself, there's still way too much leftover.:shakehead:laugh:

Speaking of food, with the building not opening until an hour before puck drop, instead of the traditional 90 minutes before puck drop, are concession lines insanely long? I remember concession lines (Depending where in the building) would always be a little long before the games and at intermissions. If I got food in the past and got there an hour before puck drop, I probably wouldn't get to my seat until after warm ups started. And if I waited to get food after warm ups, sometimes I wouldn't be in my seat until after puck drop. And at intermissions, it's almost impossible to get food and get back before the period starts.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I don't like stuffing either. If I had it my way, I'd stay home and eat steak or hot wings or something. But I always get invited over to my friends house. They get this huge turkey and between his 4 kids, him, his wife and myself, there's still way too much leftover.:shakehead:laugh:

Speaking of food, with the building not opening until an hour before puck drop, instead of the traditional 90 minutes before puck drop, are concession lines insanely long? I remember concession lines (Depending where in the building) would always be a little long before the games and at intermissions. If I got food in the past and got there an hour before puck drop, I probably wouldn't get to my seat until after warm ups started. And if I waited to get food after warm ups, sometimes I wouldn't be in my seat until after puck drop. And at intermissions, it's almost impossible to get food and get back before the period starts.

Concessions looked pretty crowded when I went tonight, but we cheated by eating a late lunch of Thanksgiving leftovers and then going out to pizza after the game.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Turkey is average tier, but I agree with Bleed, I'd rather make some homemade Italian meal like lasagna or chicken parm than have all the traditional Thanksgiving nonsense.

My plate is usually 80% turkey, the rest is whatever vegetable I hate the least and like a buttered role or something. Before I would always have a case of hard cider next to me, but lately I've been cultured and splurging for a nice one, one red and one white. A semi-sweet riesling and usually a beaujolais.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
This team was picked to finish anywhere from 26th to 30th by the pundits before the season and now we're sitting in a playoff spot with a game in hand on the team right behind us. Schneider playing terrible which a few posters have mentioned, I cannot agree with; the Nielsen goals he was left out to dry by his defense, especially the first one. Even the over time goal was a tough one to stop a guy like Mike Green being able to rip a wrist shot in that location is an incredibly hard save can it be stopped yes but it's high percentage shot. The Mantha goal was one of the better shots I've seen in a while. The placement and velocity was just incredible, you could barely make out the puck on slow mo and that was shot! No goalie in the league stops that, a perfect shot will always find the back of the net and if the Mantha kid reaches full potenial he will be a force in this league.

The bottom line is if we can hold onto the 7th or 8th spot until Hall returns this team is making the playoffs. I'm calling it now this team is deep and a trade to upgrade at a spot or two will make even that much more positive. I don't believe in jinxing your team so I'll say it again this team will make the playoffs if we're still a playoff team when Taylor Hall returns.

Also the people calling Palmieri a fraud don't know what the hell they're talking about. He's always been a streaky player and his skill is obvious to anyone who played or knows the game very well. Even when he's not scoring he brings a positive influence to a game. He'll have at least 25 goals by years end and the haters will be no where to be found. Lastly, I love Severson he's gonna be one hell of a player and maybe a future all star, he's already there offensively but he's got a lot to learn defensively. The idea that was being thrown around that he was as good as Larsson defensively or at least close were so wrong it's amazing the idea spread to begin with for that short period of time. Larsson is one of the best defensive defensman in the league, top 5 in my book. Damon will get better though and I do see a future Brian Rafalski with size in his future. You also never saw Rafalski make the defensive gaffs that Damon has made the last few games. Brian was so underrated defensively, but he also was more polished when he came into the league.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Turkey is average tier, but I agree with Bleed, I'd rather make some homemade Italian meal like lasagna or chicken parm than have all the traditional Thanksgiving nonsense.

My plate is usually 80% turkey, the rest is whatever vegetable I hate the least and like a buttered role or something. Before I would always have a case of hard cider next to me, but lately I've been cultured and splurging for a nice one, one red and one white. A semi-sweet riesling and usually a beaujolais.

No one made the homemade Italian stuff this year. I was so pissed.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm odd in that I don't eat turkey on Thanksgiving, but then I'll put cold turkey on my usual post Thanksgiving sandwich the next day, along with some reheated stuffing and a little bit of mayo.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You know what happens when you keep playing like **** Rico and Palms?

tumblr_oejf4kWlzo1u9tdblo1_400.gif

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

No one made the homemade Italian stuff this year. I was so pissed.
I agree. I'd much rather have Italian than the traditional American Thanksgiving stuff. My ex girlfriend from way long ago had the best Thanksgiving's at her parents house. Her dad was Jewish and her mom's family was from Spain. They would make all these dishes and go to this Jewish deli and get all these Kosher meats and we'd also eat chorizo and all these Spanish dishes. The running joke every year at the table was ''Is chorizo kosher though?'':laugh:. They were all about eating the food that they liked and not what most people ate. We also did that for Christmas dinners with them.

Usually my buddy's wife makes string bean casserole, this year we had string beans only. Which is all good, but string bean casserole with the fake onion chips are one of the only traditional Thanksgiving dishes I like.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Would be nice to get a save from the goaltender once in a while...

Definitely.

I feel like we were getting them, up until about 4 games ago. I don't think it's Schneider's worst 4 game stretch as a Devil, he had a clunky stretch in March or 2014, post Olympics. He also had some bad one's in October of 2014.

He's not letting in the pathetically soft goals, like that one against Pittsburgh in 13-14 a minute into the game or that dead angle one against Colorado in early 2014-2015. I don't think he's let in many terrible goals but there's been quite a few stoppable one's. The Barry Larkin goal was almost a one timer. I think he shot it after a second or two, I'd have to watch that one again. He was pretty much set and it squeaked through his legs. That was the worst.

The fourth goal was a nice shot, not an awful goal or one he's always stops, but I think he makes that stop 6 or 7 out of 10 times or at least covers more of the short side. Marty allowed a goal like that almost every game between October of 2010 and January of 2011. Even after Lemaire came back in January those were beating him, despite his play on paper improving and that was the biggest reason for Marty having a poor season that year. His glove improved the next season, but then other holes started popping up. It never got back to pre-2010 level but the glove was much better than the year before. I remember my friend and I talking about how he didn't allow even a handful of clean wrist shot gloves to the glove side from distance between February and April of 2011.

I don't know if I'd ding him on the OT winner, I'd have to watch that one again and see how it went through. It's clear he was screened a little bit by Greene but it wasn't much.

Goals 1 and 2 he really had no chance on, although he did seem to take quite a while to recover before goal 1 was scored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad