Pre-Game Talk: Devils vs Rangers at MSG game 3 1/19/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So he’s pacing to play 1/3 of the games. That’s what backups play.

You're being purposely obtuse and it's pretty pathetic. I thought you were a math guy 3 games is a tiny sample size. He had one bad game as did the team, his backup played the next game, the team won big and he did well, and his backup got another start because got a shutout. I'm sure you could find 3 game samples where Lundqvist played one out of 3 games. Your argument is just insanely stupid.

Reactions: Nickmo82

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Also said before it's not about his beliefs, it's about how he enjoys creating controversy on twitter (he literally challenged a fan to a fist fight) and the Rangers have multiple times had to "deal with it internally" with him.
It's not about his beliefs, it's about his social media use and how the Rangers have to "clean up" after him.

It's an important distinction. It's not like Madison Square Garden Sports (James Dolan) is some liberal bastion that is trying to strike down ADA and his conservative views.

While totally agreeing with you, I still believe that ADA's social media issues wouldn't have anything to do with his benching by Quinn unless it started effecting the locker room, either by others having to answer questions about it, or friction developing with teammates. Neither of those seem to be the case.

On the surface I didn't like his being scratched last game but without knowing all the details plus how Quinn has handled ADA in the past and gotten a lot out of him, I understand it.

I can also understand Quinn not inserting him back into the defense for the next game on a dealing with personnel level. It would be hard for Quinn to call one of the starting six into his office to tell them that they are sitting the next game when all of them did everything that the coaches had asked of them the previous game (so early in the season). If one of the usual suspects has a shaky game tomorrow (likely), even in a Rangers win, I'm betting Quinn will insert ADA back in.

Reactions: Sooth

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
You're being purposely obtuse and it's pretty pathetic. I thought you were a math guy 3 games is a tiny sample size. He had one bad game as did the team, his backup played the next game, the team won big and he did well, and his backup got another start because got a shutout. I'm sure you could find 3 game samples where Lundqvist played one out of 3 games. Your argument is just insanely stupid.

I guess Brendan Smith is also a better defenseman than DeAngelo. Jesus Christ.
Only fish could be jealous at the ferocity in which this bait was bitten.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Must win Unitbet on Rangers or they are back to tanking .:nod:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We're a much better team with Deangelo dressed, but I've gotten to the point with all the drama that follows him that I don't care that we've scratched him tonight.

Everything that happens surrounding him is tiring.
WoW he deleted his twitter, because of a Trump bann..
Tomorrow is a 4th July with a new president - it will be a night/day difference in US.

I dont understand why Rangers sign such a player who care more about politics and other interests when they are suppose to be a professional player. I hope Rangers move him next window in March.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
The Tony thing has to be about more than just the extra penalty, whether Quinn wants to admit it or not.

He was pulled off the left side of the "top" pair with Trouba, and moved back to "bottom" pair RD. Did he react poorly to that?

The January 6th insurrection happened right in the middle of training camp. Tony is outspoken about his politics, as we know. Was he causing an issue in camp, not being able to shut up about it?

There's more here. The penalty is something you get bag skated and benched for a period for, not an entire game.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers were horrific in the season opener but then they turned around and had an outstanding game and Smith and Georgiev both played really well. Both Shesterkin and DeAngelo are going to be key players for us before the season is over but I can get why Quinn comes back with the same lineup. Personally I'd go with Alex again and rotate Tony back in for JJ if only because DeAngelo can really make our power play run.

Jjksport

Jul 22, 2014
No way that any other regulars would have been twice in a row if they did something regardless of the performance. What if it was Trouba or Fox that did something similar?... more out of character I suppose for either of them but everyone gets frustrated time to time so not impossible. They would not have been scratched twice. It is specific to DeAngelo and his history of acting up.

Totally agree. Tony was battling behind the net. At least he showed some emotion and was battling. More than many other players can say on the first night. He also had some of the best metrics in the game. Why keep him out and play Johnson and/or Smith? Don't we want or best lineup playing against another rival?

Reactions: dangsLITE and bl02

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

Remind us who was on suicide watch after game 1.

Reactions: romba

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Congrats to Buffalo, 1st win in Philly since March 5th, 2011.
Nearly 10 full years! Can you believe that?
A battle of the two shittiest cities in the Northeast. Philly vs Buffalo! Next on The Ocho!

Edit: intermission interview with Gritty’s cousin and the ex brother in law of a girl featured in the music video of Cake - Short Skirt Long Jacket. Is she rich? Did she finally get that nose job? Find out tonight! Only on The Ocho!

Last edited:

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Devils fared very well against the Bruins, but after watching them play yesterday, maybe they aren't as sharp as they need to be at the start of the season. Feel like the Rangers speed could catch them off guard as the Bruins are a much slower, more methodical, team.

I'd expect this to be a breakout game for Zibanejad. He always does well against the Devils.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
The Tony thing has to be about more than just the extra penalty, whether Quinn wants to admit it or not.

He was pulled off the left side of the "top" pair with Trouba, and moved back to "bottom" pair RD. Did he react poorly to that?

The January 6th insurrection happened right in the middle of training camp. Tony is outspoken about his politics, as we know. Was he causing an issue in camp, not being able to shut up about it?

There's more here. The penalty is something you get bag skated and benched for a period for, not an entire game.

Tony is extremely well liked in the locker room by every single account.

I really wish people would stop inventing locker room friction from his politics based on their own distaste for him. There's no evidence for it at all.

Tony has maturity issues on the ice and Quinn has been pretty clear that his benching has to do with the penalty he took, and that his remaining on the bench for tonite's game is about the team winning 5-0. He flat out said already, "No, the discipline is behind us, this is about the team playing well and not wanting to upset the apple cart." (paraphrasing)

He got benched for taking a dumb penalty and his reaction. It was not for any locker room friction over his politics. Enough with the conspiracy theories! There are outspoken players on both sides of the political aisle in all sports, it does not mean their teammates hate them.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
There's no evidence that what he does off ice had any impact on Quinn's decision. People keep insisting on that because of their own personal disdain for him. Seems pretty obvious that Quinn was upset that he took what he thought was a terrible penalty and he selfishly compounded that when he said whatever he said to the ref and slammed the penalty box door.

100% exact.

Specifically because of a lack of empathy; they can't fathom how a person like that could NOT be divisive and distracting, but that's their own limited worldview at fault.

Reactions: Grumpy Humphrey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad