GDT: Devils vs. Jets - 7:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) CHIEF KEEFE
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
we are still f***ing mediocre. sure, we’re not as bad as we have been the last two/three years, but goddamn is the inexperience beginning to show.

we have good young talent but they’re still not totally ready and we’re suffering.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Honestly i prefer that. They are due at least. I would be worried a lot more if we caught them a game after the streak ended.

Yeah that's why on the inverse I didn't like playing Vegas after they lost three in a row lol, figured they wouldn't lose four in a row (of course they wound up losing four in five though).

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
We've all the stats of team's records when leading...the numbers are pretty clear. Coming back from a deficit is extremely difficult in this league. Always has been.

And when your goalie can't make a timely save to give you a chance, scoring becomes exponentially more difficult. It's obvious and its obvious why we have been putting up big shot totals...we are behind in the majority of these games.
Believe me, I'm not absolving Cory from blame, he has sucked. But people are acting like we're the 1985 Edmonton Oilers and we're losing games simply because of our goaltending, it's a bit too much

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Believe me, I'm not absolving Cory from blame, he has sucked. But people are acting like we're the 1985 Edmonton Oilers and we're losing games simply because of our goaltending, it's a bit too much

what is this? who?

no we lose games because we have literally zero clutch offense. perhaps even negative.

if you look at all our losses since december, anyone wanna inform me on how many of those losses the devils outshot an opponent? or blew an inordinate amount of quality scoring chances (like tonight)? don’t worry i’ll wait.

anyone blaming ALL of this on the goalies needs to watch more hockey.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
You know, every post includes a snide remark from you like "ridiculous", "absurb" and here "baloney", if your logic and facts are that as solid, no need to be snarky like this.

And the problem with your argument is that these type of stretches are happening waaaaaay to often in the second half of the season. What I just listed is not a anomaly, it's been the norm.
Look if you think that it’s reasonable to expect a team of average offensive talent to consistently score 3-4 goals a night to offset the 3 goals a game their starting goalie is giving up, I don’t know what to tell you. The devils could have literally scored 3 goals every single f***in game in cory’s last ten starts and they still would have zero wins to show for it.

Have you seen the numbers even for the season overall? The offense already did it’s fair share of compensating for average-to-below-average goaltending/defense earlier in the year. We aren’t the lightning or the penguins, it wasn’t going to be sustainable. What we could have reasonably expected was average or better than average goaltending.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
this team has what it takes to get in and do some damage

just dont end up like edm next season........

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
we couldn’t score three on him on 40+ shots though? really? i don’t buy that.

everyone wants to **** on our goalies for some reason, as if that exhalts our forwards’ inability to provide secondary scoring. i don’t even know what the point is anymore.

Pssst. You're allowed to win games 2-1 and 1-0. Cory looked lost on the goals that went in. Wrister from way out - top corner over his glove & rebound shot wide that he freezes on like he thinks it hit him when it didn't for the easy tap-in? Goalie has to know where the puck is before the D on the original shot.

I've got him in fantasy and so I want him to do well but he acts like a guy with other things on his mind. What that is - no idea and not for me to say if it's for good reason but he's not the same Cory in net we saw the first couple of years.

Reactions: Bleedred and mtnet

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Saw this coming a mile away and was told there was no way the Devs don't make the playoffs blah blah blah. That was 10 days ago.

Well, they could easily drop the next 6. Lol.
I highly doubt they lose seven games in a row lol

The issue is that they need to win probably at least 3 of those next 6 to even have a decent shot of staying in it, and even then it will come down to the wire.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
It’s very hard to tell who is in the cage for the NJD these days. Is it Mooose Hedberg? Is it Scotty Clemmensen? Chico Resch? Keith Kinkaid? Jeff Frazee, maybe? JF Damphousse? At least two more dirty goals against tonight. We’ve never had two tenders this poor at the same time since I started watching the Devils in 94. They look like two Flyers band aid recruits. Both of them activate my gag reflexes. And f*** Lack, too. May as well sign Ari Ahonen and see if it can keep us in the playoffs. He won’t be eligible to play in the playoffs, but we can always go back to Ben N Jerry if we get there.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I personally think it's too much. Too many bad goals at bad times.

We were down in the first 5 minutes tonight after a pretty good start, we build momentum, get close and we are down again. It is deflating and save percentage doesn't at all tell the truth of this story. Cory is the weak link right now.

Reactions: mtnet

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Pssst. You're allowed to win games 2-1 and 1-0. Cory looked lost on the goals that went in. Wrister from way out - top corner over his glove & rebound shot wide that he freezes on like he thinks it hit him when it didn't for the easy tap-in? Goalie has to know where the puck is before the D on the original shot.

I've got him in fantasy and so I want him to do well but he acts like a guy with other things on his mind. What that is - no idea and not for me to say if it's for good reason but he's not the same Cory in net we saw the first couple of years.

i am not saying our goalies have been doing what we’re used to because of marty’s legacy, but at what point is it not ridiculous for a devils fan to assume clutch offense should be a factor in winning hockey games?

the impotence tonight was baffling. we COULD have won even with cory giving up three with two being stinkers.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
what is this? who?

no we lose games because we have literally zero clutch offense. perhaps even negative.

if you look at all our losses since december, anyone wanna inform me on how many of those losses the devils outshot an opponent? don’t worry i’ll wait.

anyone blaming all of this on the goalies needs to watch more hockey.
Wait a minute, what? I haven't blame the goalie on all of this at all, alright I'm done, good night.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think it’s coming down to the players right now. The team is playing good enough to win all of these games. Individual performances by the goalies and the inability to finish by the forwards are killing them.
I'm not a Hynes fan, but I'd consider giving part of next year to see if he can do something better.

I definitely want a new goalie next year. Don't care which one of these two shitheads bite the bullet and get sacrificed to the zombies after this year, but it will probably be Keith, since he's easier to get rid of and make disappear.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017

he was pissed on the first goal because he almost got his pad down..... it wasnt five hole it was under his right pad. the second was a laser and he missed with the glove.

if players on the ice do their job those chances never take place. this team had a chance to win against a good team and didnt do it. live and learn. maybe cory is the problem but maybe the team is.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Look if you think that it’s reasonable to expect a team of average offensive talent to consistently score 3-4 goals a night to offset the 3 goals a game their starting goalie is giving up, I don’t know what to tell you. The devils could have literally scored 3 goals every single ****in game in cory’s last ten starts and they still would have zero wins to show for it.

Have you seen the numbers even for the season overall? The offense already did it’s fair share of compensating for average-to-below-average goaltending/defense earlier in the year. We aren’t the lightning or the penguins, it wasn’t going to be sustainable. What we could have reasonably expected was average or better than average goaltending.
I think you got your mind close to everything but your own logic because you're hellbent on blaming Cory than being fair. Cheers.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Time to drive somewere Bleed. Don't feel bad though, my own home record is pretty bad recently, i don't even want to calculate it, it is bad. I'd rather watch on TV at this point :)
My home record the last 4 games? 4-0.

That's games 4 and 6 of the first round in 2012 and Marty and Patty night, all wins.

Maybe I need to come up for more home games? I'd rather watch on TV too, since I can at least use foul language in here without worrying about adding noise pollution to little kids ears.:laugh:

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Goaltending and the offense deserve the blame. Thing about goaltending though is that it’s the one position where one hot player can literally steal points for the team. I’m not going to rag on Cory in a game where the offense couldn’t close the deal but you’re kidding yourself if you think this type of goaltending is going to cut it at this time of the year. It’s not nearly good enough. There are going to be games where the team can’t score more than two goals, especially when playing strong competition. If the team is unable to win ANY of those games, it’s a serious issue and they’re not going anywhere.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
My home record the last 4 games? 4-0.

That's games 4 and 6 of the first round in 2012 and Marty and Patty night, all wins.

Maybe I need to come up for more home games? I'd rather watch on TV too, since I can at least use foul language in here without worrying about adding noise pollution to little kids ears.:laugh:
Ruins the magic. Like Disney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad