GDT: Devils vs Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
It's not as simple as "Zacha should have played with Hall the whole time" though given how much Hall plays and the situations he plays in. I don't think it would have been a good idea to give Zacha that much responsibility that soon. Now that we've got nothing to lose and Zacha has some more games under his belt, I think they can stay together longer. Although Zajac has looked good with Hall too, so I could understand going back to that when he's back in.

It would be nice if Cammalleri got going again too. It seems to be feast or famine with him this season.

Except it is that simple. You could see the chemistry those two had when they were put together or just happened to be on the ice in the offensive zone at the same time. Zacha has more skill than Zajac offensively, it is evident by how he handles the puck and the little things he does, one touch passes, small tips to keep the puck in, just softer hands. And no thanks, keep Zajac away from Hall. Let Zacha and Hall play together and let Zacha get some offensive confidence by playing with a player he has clear chemistry with.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If I were the head coach never in a million years would I put a 19 year old rookie center with Hall. Hall's two way game just isn't good enough to be supportive to a young developing player.

Perhaps as the season progresses, or as a trial here and there, but certainly not as a staple.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Wood's speed on that 2nd goal is ludicrous. I keep watching it over and over again it gets better each and every time.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Zacha played well last night. Looked more confident. I hope Hynes gives him another shot there tonight.

Miles Wood is awesome. I can't believe how fast he is and he's not a small guy.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If I were the head coach never in a million years would I put a 19 year old rookie center with Hall. Hall's two way game just isn't good enough to be supportive to a young developing player.

Perhaps as the season progresses, or as a trial here and there, but certainly not as a staple.

While I would normally agree with you, you've got to admit Zacha's two-way game is light years ahead of the average 19 year old rookie center. I don't fault Hynes too much for being reluctant to put Zacha with Hall earlier, but I'd like to see those two stick together for a few games and see how it goes.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Wood, Kalinin, and Lappin was easily the best line tonight. Good games from Schneider, Merrill and Santini as well.

I really liked that line, too. All smart, fast, big players.

Next 7 games are huge if we want any chance at making the playoffs

@Carolina
vs Toronto
vs Edmonton
vs Florida
@ Edmonton
@ Calgary
@ Vancouver

I'm hoping for at least 10/14 points. Really hope we don't **** the bed on the Alberta trip.

This is what I've been saying for two weeks. December was an awful month, but we had an awful schedule. Now we have a pretty easy January. This month could very easily get us back in the playoff picture, and should at least remove any dreams of a top-5 draft pick. This team is just not that bad.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Western Canada has always seemed to give us fits in recent years, but definitely potential to climb back into the thick of things. I still think the teams above us are due to regress inevitably.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
it won't do santini any good to play in albany anymore...good for him for making the most of his opportunity

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
After last night, Zacha with Hall is up to getting 41% of the shots. It's not a combination I'd be looking to keep together.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Keep Hall - Zacha - PAP and Merrill - Santini together

We should keep the defensive pairings together too.

Quincey/Severson may have had a rough game last night, but these pairings make the most sense stylistically. Only other option is to call up Auvitu and play him with Lovejoy and Greene with Severson.

However, I'd only do that on a regular basis if Merrill/Santini show they can be a reliable pairing for an extended period of time.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Merrill-Santini also had twelve minutes against lesser players. But yes I'd keep him up here and the pairings as is.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
After last night, Zacha with Hall is up to getting 41% of the shots. It's not a combination I'd be looking to keep together.

Because we all know, 19 year olds don't learn or improve throughout their first season. Most combinations of players have been crap this season by most metrics. They were our best line and we played one of our best games, why tinker?

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Zacha was outstanding last night. Should have had at least one goal that hit the inside of the post and potentially multiple assists. He also went 9/15 on faceoffs, and 6/9 against Bergeron and Krejci.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Because we all know, 19 year olds don't learn or improve throughout their first season. Most combinations of players have been crap this season by most metrics. They were our best line and we played one of our best games, why tinker?

Site just updated to reflect last night, so actually they're at 45% together.

I mean, sure, leave them together, but it's asking an awful lot of Zacha defensively (and offensively), something which I don't think he's ready to handle. It was an emergency assignment which happened to work out well.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

I agree but Zacha's 2 way game is pretty stellar for a 19 year old. Some kids are more confident playing less minutes and having less responsibilities but the contrary can be true as well.

I'd continue giving Zacha top minutes with Hall cause he's been relevant when paired with Taylor and frankly, he's been invisible when playing in our bottom #6.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Site just updated to reflect last night, so actually they're at 45% together.

I mean, sure, leave them together, but it's asking an awful lot of Zacha defensively (and offensively), something which I don't think he's ready to handle. It was an emergency assignment which happened to work out well.

I think it's asking even more of him to play with turds like DSP and the fodder we have in the bottom 6 and create anything offensively. If we were right in the middle of a fight for the playoffs, sure keep Zajac and Hall together because they're likely our best combo. At this point I think we should be making lineup decisions for the future. Leave Zacha with Hall and let them build some chemistry. Leave Santini up. When Blandisi is healthy, give him another try. Maybe at the deadline move PAP, Fiddler, etc. and replace them with young guys like Pietilia, JQ, Coleman, etc.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Is Hynes still on the chopping block around these parts?
Was absolutely incredible to read. People calling for a team going nowhere, no matter what, to fire their coach for a quick fix. Just because it worked in 2010-11, doesn't mean it will now. The defense is absolutely terrible and needs new players. That can be fixed very quickly with Santini's development and some smart trades this summer with the expansion draft likely increasing activity. Finishing with 88 points in crappy draft year wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. It could be a stepping stone to the future.

Reassess Hynes in the offseason. Maybe Tippett gets let go and they take him? I thought we should have gotten him when he was last available anyway.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
What I hate the most, even more then our losing streak, are the ******** fans who scream "hey, you suck" after we score. It makes us look like a bunch of idiots since we can't win games and we're the 5th worst team out of 30.

Guess what... WE suck!

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Can we see them put TWO straight games together where they aren't blown out by 3+ goals first?

This is true, and tonight's performance will be very telling.

I also have a feeling that if that Bruins shot at the end of the first goes a centimeter further, then we are looking at a 4-1 loss.

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon
Zacha had a real strong game and a great First period especially. Ive been pleased with him all year really, allthough I was hoping for/expecting some more points. The 2 Issues ive seen are mainly that he seems to wear down as the game goes on, and in back 2 backs etc. Im not sure if its his conditioning from his hip injury in the offseason, or if its just playing this level of hockey against grown men. But he certainly has some stamina issues. That would be my only drawback about giving him top line minutes with hall. But I do think he should stay on that line, but maybe shift him out a few shifts a game to recover.

the other thing is Id like to see him be more agressive with his shot. take it to the net and just fire it. hes got a great shot and a lethal one timer. My guess is thats just a bit of a confidence thing.

The good thing is that those are both fixable problems, and should definetly improve as he get older and stronger.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
What I hate the most, even more then our losing streak, are the ******** fans who scream "hey, you suck" after we score. It makes us look like a bunch of idiots since we can't win games and we're the 5th worst team out of 30.

Guess what... WE suck!

Don't take it so literally

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Was absolutely incredible to read. People calling for a team going nowhere, no matter what, to fire their coach for a quick fix. Just because it worked in 2010-11, doesn't mean it will now.

This is the kind of mentality I don't understand. People weren't expecting a quick fix with this team, they just want this team to at least be competitive. Until last night they were 2-10 in their previous twelve games with EIGHT losses by 3+ goals.

If people want to keep Hynes that's fine with me, if they want to fire him that's fine. But I don't understand why people act like firing him would be outrageous and so laughable. They were totally non competitive for a month straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad