GDT: Devils vs. Blues - 8:00PM MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't have a problem with challenging offsides if it's an odd man rush or leads to a direct scoring chance. It's when they're calling back goals because a guy was offside by maybe a millimeter (and it takes 5 minutes to figure that out) 10+ seconds before the goal is scored where it gets stupid.

Reactions: Bleedred

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
And the situation is stupid too. This isn’t a situation where someone is ahead of the play.

Both overturned goals featured just one player allegedly being ahead of the play, and it was the puck carrier. No advantage is gained.

Never mind how flimsy the argument against is for possession and whether the puck is in control.

There is just piles and piles of bullshit in both these reviews that proves it should have just stood as good goals.

And it makes it all worse that in between we had a very clear missed Too many men call, and somehow you can’t review that!!!

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Rules are rules I suppose and you can challenge a potential offsides play. That's fine but if they are going by the rules how the hell do they allow them 3 times the allotted time to make a decision to challenge, how is that going by the book? I mean what's the point if your crew has ample time to make the decision to challenge, there's no risk of getting penalized there if you have that much time to look at it.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
And the situation is stupid too. This isn’t a situation where someone is ahead of the play.

Both overturned goals featured just one player allegedly being ahead of the play, and it was the puck carrier. No advantage is gained.

Never mind how flimsy the argument against is for possession and whether the puck is in control.

There is just piles and piles of bull**** in both these reviews that proves it should have just stood as good goals.

And it makes it all worse that in between we had a very clear missed Too many men call, and somehow you can’t review that!!!
The NHL hasn't been embarrassed enough by too much man to implement that into the challenge.

This whole thing has nothing to do with "getting the right call". That's just the bullshit line the league tosses out.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
They'd be so better off if they changed it to reflect 'the spirit of the rule'. The question shouldn't be whether the guy's foot was on the line or not. If the offsides was egregious and obvious - that's one thing. If being offsides helped the offensive team score a goal where being onsides wouldn't have, that is one thing.

All of this 'his foot was a millimeter off the ground' is bullshit.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Rules are rules I suppose and you can challenge a potential offsides play. That's fine but if they are going by the rules how the hell do they allow them 3 times the allotted time to make a decision to challenge, how is that going by the book? I mean what's the point if your crew has ample time to make the decision to challenge, there's no risk of getting penalized there if you have that much time to look at it.
Yea if you can have your players skate around in circles and kill time, there's no pressure on the coaching staff to make a quick decision. The whole intention of this rule was to catch obvious offsides that were missed, and they have twisted it to crack down on guys who might have their skate 1 mm off the ice.

Reactions: Bleedred and JK3

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
huge problem with that non-holding call on the second blues goal that was some grade A bs

honestly they should make missed penalties like this review-able if it leads to a goal. why not? why stop at an offside? why is the penalty for an offside challenge a penalty but for interference and stuff there is no penalty just a loss of a timeout?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
honestly they should make missed penalties like this review-able if it leads to a goal. why not? why stop at an offside? why is the penalty for an offside challenge a penalty but for interference and stuff there is no penalty just a loss of a timeout?
...because the NHL got embarrassed by some terrible offside goals.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield

They should get rid of reviewing for goalie interference because that is often way too subjective. I'd be ok with reviews for too many men, missed high sticks and delay of game penalties.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
They'd be so better off if they changed it to reflect 'the spirit of the rule'. The question shouldn't be whether the guy's foot was on the line or not. If the offsides was egregious and obvious - that's one thing. If being offsides helped the offensive team score a goal where being onsides wouldn't have, that is one thing.

All of this 'his foot was a millimeter off the ground' is bull****.

sort of like the interpretation of "not in the spirit of the CBA" for the russian's contract lol

Reactions: Aethon and Bleedred

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Well now they're getting embarrassed by OVER-ANALYZING millimeters of INCONCLUSIVE evidence when the call on the ice should stand.
They’re always getting embarrassed by something, because they are run by a bunch of f***ing clowns who routinely institute dumbass rules or make decisions that make sense to no one outside of some office in Toronto.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Also, the on-ice officials generally are mediocre or outright suck. The highest quality league in the world should have the highest quality officiating, instead they routinely suck at their job. How do these guys even get held accountable? Why aren’t they held to a higher standard? I wish I could get awarded as much benefit of the doubt when I f*** up at work as referees in the NHL get. And everyone is complicit in it, even the media. Always making excuses for how “it’s a fat game and officiating is difficult”. Yeah no shit...maybe if the referees can’t keep up they should find ones who can.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Also, the on-ice officials generally are mediocre or outright suck. The highest quality league in the world should have the highest quality officiating, instead they routinely suck at their job. How do these guys even get held accountable? Why aren’t they held to a higher standard? I wish I could get awarded as much benefit of the doubt when I **** up at work as referees in the NHL get. And everyone is complicit in it, even the media. Always making excuses for how “it’s a fat game and officiating is difficult”. Yeah no ****...maybe if the referees can’t keep up they should find ones who can.
This is what I've said.

There should be some kind of incentive for the officials to do better at their jobs.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Also, the on-ice officials generally are mediocre or outright suck. The highest quality league in the world should have the highest quality officiating, instead they routinely suck at their job. How do these guys even get held accountable? Why aren’t they held to a higher standard? I wish I could get awarded as much benefit of the doubt when I **** up at work as referees in the NHL get. And everyone is complicit in it, even the media. Always making excuses for how “it’s a fat game and officiating is difficult”. Yeah no ****...maybe if the referees can’t keep up they should find ones who can.

I totally agree about the referees. It’s a gong show. However, I do think that the linesman tend to do a pretty good job overall. Take the bull shit “offside” call from last night for example. You’re talking millimeters a lot of the time and you rarely see them royally screw up. If they’re wrong, a five minute review and a shit load of excuses is required to “prove” it.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I loved the way they played after the 1st period. They battled back twice against a tough team on the road and from my perspective they won the game.

It maybe frustrating to not get the actual win but the Devils did everything they could possibly do in my opinion... even though they didn't get the win that's the kind of game that they can put in their back pocket and know that they can play with any team in the league.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's almost like you have to look with a microscope to see the offsides on these last two reversed calls.

It's almost like they talk themselves into looking for it, or force their brain to find such a thing.

It's like if you tell me there's a stain on my floor, if I look for it for 5 minutes, I'll probably find it. If I only look at it for 60 seconds, I'm not gonna see it.

Reactions: Aethon

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

There is just piles and piles of bull**** in both these reviews that proves it should have just stood as good goals.

This is my biggest problem with these calls(Both Hall and Johansson) and why I think the spirit of the rule is being trampled.

The idea that the lead attacking player puts himself off sides is counterintuitive to the rule.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It's almost like you have to look with a microscope to see the offsides on these last two reversed calls.

I still have no idea why either goal was waved off given the call on the ice was "onside" for both of them, they each took LONG reviews, and even after seeing slow-motion replays of both I have absolutely no idea how they conclusively adjudicated them as being offsides so as to reverse the on-ice calls.

It makes me wonder if they have 1/1000 of a frame technology or something, but when MSG zooms in all it looks like is they're using my Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 looking at Youtube (i.e. pretty low-tech).

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I still have no idea why either goal was waved off given the call on the ice was "onside" for both of them, they each took LONG reviews, and even after seeing slow-motion replays of both I have absolutely no idea how they conclusively adjudicated them as being offsides so as to reverse the on-ice calls.

It makes me wonder if they have 1/1000 of a frame technology or something, but when MSG zooms in all it looks like is my Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 looking at Youtube (i.e. pretty low-tech).

They might have access to higher resolution video, especially if they are pulling from camera raw with zero compression, where as the stuff on YouTube is pretty heavily compressed.

Still I doubt they have high speed cameras ice side to be able to do 100% frame by frame stuff.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

It makes me wonder if they have 1/1000 of a frame technology or something, but when MSG zooms in all it looks like is they're using my Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 looking at Youtube (i.e. pretty low-tech).
It's really a needle in a haystack.

I'm wondering how the staff from both the Sabres and the Blues were so quick on this. (the Blues staff really wasn't). Might have been a hail mary on both staff's part.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It's really a needle in a haystack.

I'm wondering how the staff from both the Sabres and the Blues were so quick on this. (the Blues staff really wasn't). Might have been a hail mary on both staff's part.

The Sabres was a Hail Mary, as it was a go-ahead goal with only about 4 minutes left IIRC. Those goals are becoming near automatic challenges if there's even them remotest of HOPE for goalie interference or offsides.

It's really killing enjoyment for the game, because it ends the fan celebration - if you notice, everyone stops cheering and "having fun", and sits on their hands for a few minutes until the goal is likely confirmed, at which point people cheer again, but it's just not the same.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Sabres was a Hail Mary, as it was a go-ahead goal with only about 4 minutes left IIRC. Those goals are becoming near automatic challenges if there's even them remotest of HOPE for goalie interference or offsides.

It's really killing enjoyment for the game, because it ends the fan celebration - if you notice, everyone stops cheering and "having fun", and sits on their hands for a few minutes until the goal is likely confirmed, at which point people cheer again, but it's just not the same.
I thought there was about 8-9 minutes left in the Sabres game when it happened? I think there was 13+ minutes left yesterday.

That whole review yesterday was a joke, and you really think they're probably gonna reverse the call when they take that long reviewing it. I even got up and took a bathroom break and came back and they were still reviewing it.

And I even read too much into the one official's conversation with Greene after the huddle up (which was also pointed out as being excessively long, after they were done reviewing) before the announcement was made. One of the official's is talking with Greene and they're skating away. It looked like they just exchanged a few words and Greene skated back, so I thought ''Maybe good news. I figure he might have protested or at least talked a little longer if it was coming back''. Then he makes the announcement that it was offsides and that burst my bubble.

It wouldn't surprise me with how incompetent these guys are, if the official talking to Greene didn't know what they had decided and needed to wait for the official announcement himself.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I thought there was about 8-9 minutes left in the Sabres game when it happened? I think there was 13+ minutes left yesterday.

That whole review yesterday was a joke, and you really think they're probably gonna reverse the call when they take that long reviewing it. I even got up and took a bathroom break and came back and they were still reviewing it.

And I even read too much into the one official's conversation with Greene after the huddle up (which was also pointed out as being excessively long, after they were done reviewing) before the announcement was made. One of the official's is talking with Greene and they're skating away. It looked like they just exchanged a few words and Greene skated back, so I thought ''Maybe good news. I figure he might have protested or at least talked a little longer if it was coming back''. Then he makes the announcement that it was offsides and that burst my bubble.

It wouldn't surprise me with how incompetent these guys are, if the official talking to Greene didn't know what they had decided and needed to wait for the official announcement himself.
If you look at the extended highlights it has the blues feed. It shows berube radio up up to the video guy then holds a conversation with yeo. Radios back up to the video guy then has a second conversation with yeo at which time, yeo calls over the Ref for a challenge. While all the blues players are sitting on the bench not coming out for the subsequent faceoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad