Post-Game Talk: Devils victory against Blues! (Let's argue)

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
The Blues didn't really play a physical game against us. Definitely not like Columbus who manhandled us.

Exactly.

Winning a game against a big team that didn’t utilize their size and strength ended up in our favour.

That’s like saying after a 3 point game from Tatar… "I thought Tatar was garbage when he single-handedly carried the team today". Newsflash, he’s still garbage but had one good game out of 20 horrible games, that doesn’t excuse his past performances.

You can bet your ass that if we were to face a team like the Blues in a 7 game series, they would come out throwing their weight around left and right the following game. By the way, we won in OT after letting a 2 goal lead slip away… I wouldn’t be pumping my chest about how great we are and dismissing the notion that we don’t need more physical players to take this team to the next level.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
The Blues outhit the Devils 22-13. Had they won in overtime, this would've been cited as an example of how the Devils can't win games against physical teams blah blah blah.

“The Blues wore the Devils down; that’s why the Blues came back to win it. The Devils need to be tougher to stand up to be these bigger teams who hit more otherwise they’ll always lose these games late.”

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
The Blues outhit the Devils 22-13. Had they won in overtime, this would've been cited as an example of how the Devils can't win games against physical teams blah blah blah.

This argument is purely based on stat watching because if you actually watched the game, you would’ve realized that St-Louis were extremely soft and didn’t play their regular game like when they face better teams.

It’s normal, good teams always take their foot off the gas pedal when facing bottom 5 teams… Arizona won back to back games against the Avs and nobody thinks they’re a better team.

This win might make you feel all warm inside but it should not make you think that keeping guys like Tatar, Johnsson, Zacha and all the other soft perimeter players we have, is a good idea moving forward.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

They were missing their Jackets. As we saw we can handle the Blues but when they’ve got their jackets on and are the Blue Jackets we can’t handle their almighty physicality

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
The Blues had a poor game by their standards, and the Devils played one of the best games this season. One or two games doesn't change the fact that there are weaknesses in the forward group.

I don't think they need to make big changes. Just replace couple soft players to someone who has size and grit (again, players such as Nichushkin, Copp, Marchment or Niederreiter).

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
This argument is purely based on stat watching because if you actually watched the game, you would’ve realized that St-Louis were extremely soft and didn’t play their regular game like when they face better teams.

It’s normal, good teams always take their foot off the gas pedal when facing bottom 5 teams… Arizona won back to back games against the Avs and nobody thinks they’re a better team.

This win might make you feel all warm inside but it should not make you think that keeping guys like Tatar, Johnsson, Zacha and all the other soft perimeter players we have, is a good idea moving forward.

If you thought about this for a single second, you'd realize how silly 'good teams always take their foot off the gas pedal when facing bottom 5 teams' sounds. The Blues are nothing special, they're 9th in the league in points percentage. They are a good team; they are by no means guaranteed a playoff spot right now. The Devils took the game to them. Whereas the Coyotes were outshot heavily in both games against the Avs and relied on their goalie to steal it, the Devils were the better team yesterday and didn't rely on goalie theft. The Blues didn't play very well but the Devils capitalized on that.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
The Blues had a poor game by their standards, and the Devils played one of the best games this season. One or two games doesn't change the fact that there are weaknesses in the forward group.

I don't think they need to make big changes. Just replace couple soft players to someone who has size and grit (again, players such as Nichushkin, Copp, Marchment or Niederreiter).

This notion that adding guys with balls who will get in other players faces, go hard to the net and dish out some hits is a bad thing is very troublesome and borderline alarming.

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
If you thought about this for a single second, you'd realize how silly 'good teams always take their foot off the gas pedal when facing bottom 5 teams' sounds. The Blues are nothing special, they're 9th in the league in points percentage. They are a good team; they are by no means guaranteed a playoff spot right now. The Devils took the game to them. Whereas the Coyotes were outshot heavily in both games against the Avs and relied on their goalie to steal it, the Devils were the better team yesterday and didn't rely on goalie theft. The Blues didn't play very well but the Devils capitalized on that.

We won in OT after giving up a 2 goal lead, relax, we didn’t capitalize on anything.

It’s just funny because so many are down on Zacha’s point production since it’s not happening at even strength or in regulation but when we win games in a 3V3 gimmick, we’re puffing our chests about how we just managed to beat a big physical team.

StevensRocks

May 18, 2021
They were missing their Jackets. As we saw we can handle the Blues but when they’ve got their jackets on and are the Blue Jackets we can’t handle their almighty physicality

Seems you are the torch-bearer for little people, given how hung up you are on size.

If you haven't witnessed a big team press, then I don't know what else to say. I've witnessed it countless times...

And Fitz seems to want Size for some (probably idiotic) reason...

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
We won in OT after giving up a 2 goal lead, relax, we didn’t capitalize on anything.

It’s just funny because so many are down on Zacha’s point production since it’s not happening at even strength or in regulation but when we win games in a 3V3 gimmick, we’re puffing our chests about how we just managed to beat a big physical team.

The Devils thoroughly outplayed the Blues at even strength. Their power play is still not functional despite the appearance of being decent, so that's something that needs to be fixed. And yes, getting the game to OT is huge. Since the Devils' last game that went to OT against the Capitals, the Devils are 3-9-0 in 1 goal games (not including empty net goals). Yeah, it's nice to win 5-2, and the Devils could've done that with some better finishing and good power play work, but the Devils have to start getting these 1 goal games to OT and getting at least a point out of them.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Be careful what you wish for to the people hoping for a new coaching staff, the past two seasons are the best the team has played 5v5 in a decade. League average or even slightly worse goaltending and there would be a lot of buzz about this team.

Well, that’s only if you think the metrics are accurately reflecting the on ice play.

I think expected goal models do a poor job at accurately reflecting the Devils defense, for example.

Reactions: guitarguyvic

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

It’s clear the team struggles at times when teams get physical. It helps the Blues were on a back to back as skating wise the Devils hold the advantage. Against a tired team that helps significantly.

Johnsson has been frustrating the hell out of me lately. He seems like he’s constantly afraid of getting hit and avoids making plays through contact like Hughes, Bratt, and even Tatar do.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Wait how did we beat the big bad physical Blues with our soft meek little team twice in less than 4 weeks?
The last playoff team we had went 3-0 against Tampa Bay during the regular season.

They then proceeded to get curb stomped in the playoffs by that same team in five games.

You can’t put that much stock into a couple of games. The Blues are in the middle of an east coast road trip and that was their third game in four nights…and they played less than 24 hours earlier.

Im not trying to say the devils didn’t play them well but this is not proof that the team is well equipped to handle teams that have the same amount of skill but are bigger and play heavier.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Seems you are the torch-bearer for little people, given how hung up you are on size.

If you haven't witnessed a big team press, then I don't know what else to say. I've witnessed it countless times...

And Fitz seems to want Size for some (probably idiotic) reason...

The fact that we swung an missed on Coleman and Saad while having to settle for Tatar also leads me to believe that Fitz sees what some of us see as well.

Again, this notion that adding tough and hard nose players is wrong or unnecessary seems pretty funny to me when the game of hockey is the fastest contact sport in the world.

We also had a ton of guys in our glory days that could make you shit your pants by just starring at you. I don’t know if we even have one guy like that on our current roster.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Shot in the dark here; but does anyone know what song they played after Mercer scored? It played while they showed a photoshopped image of him and a Mercedes on the Jumbotron.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Shot in the dark here; but does anyone know what song they played after Mercer scored? It played while they showed a photoshopped image of him and a Mercedes on the Jumbotron.
Was it like right after the goal song ended but before the puck was dropped? It almost sounded like it could have been the intro to Master of Puppets, but I don't really think it was.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Was it like right after the goal song ended but before the puck was dropped? It almost sounded like it could have been the intro to Master of Puppets, but I don't really think it was.
It was Mercy by Kanye West. They play it after every Mercer goal.

A couple players have that. I know Nico has " We like to party" after his goals and they put " we love to hockey " on the jumbo tron.

Teach me how to Dougie comes on after Dougie scores.

Theres one for Bratt as well but Idk what it is.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

A couple players have that. I know Nico has " We like to party" after his goals and they put " we love to hockey " on the jumbo tron.

I've never heard the song before, but I listened to a minute of it just now and there wasn't a single part that could be confused with Master of Puppets lol.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC

Much appreciated! I think Bratt's is The Dark Knight theme for "Brattman"

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

isn't bratt's some theme from one of the batman movies?
and yeh confirming it's Mercy by Kanye

Reactions: Devs3cups

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
67ojbj.jpg

LIST YOUR 3 STARS OF THE GAME IN THE POLL (PLEASE IGNORE MY CAPS AND LOUD NOISES!! WOOOOO!!)

Why argue, I picked Hughes, Nico and Bratt?

I hope they win or have a close game so the Devils players have fun.

Reactions: glenwo2 and My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad