Confirmed with Link: Devils trade Nate Schnarr for Andrew Hammond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
My only gripe would be with Thompson, Kuokkanen, and Wood coming back... why didn't they move Vesey for anything? Nobody would even offer a 4th or 5th for him? I'm on board with not moving Zacha and Severson, Blackwood as well. But unless they want to sign Vesey, I don't see the point in not moving him unless there was nothing on the table which I find hard to believe considering some of the fodder that was moved today.

Reactions: HBK27

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
My only gripe would be with Thompson, Kuokkanen, and Wood coming back... why didn't they move Vesey for anything? Nobody would even offer a 4th or 5th for him? I'm on board with not moving Zacha and Severson, Blackwood as well. But unless they want to sign Vesey, I don't see the point in not moving him unless there was nothing on the table which I find hard to believe considering some of the fodder that was moved today.
My guess is Fitz wanted stability in the room and to indirectly tell the team to keep trying to win games more than he wanted a low fifth round pick or whatever Vesey would have returned.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hammond has had a weird career to say the least. Decent numbers with Bowling Green. Not very good numbers in the AHL. But is 30-15-6 with a .923 save percentage and 2.31 GAA in the show. That’s pretty damn impressive.

It’s not the move we all wanted I guess but you really can’t complain about this move.

It was pretty much the only move they could do in season.

Pretty much zero teams have a goalie surplus. If you are dragging anyone good out of somewhere it would have cost premium future assets and roster players.

Why I don't entirely believe the team is trying to ship Blackwood out just yet as their really aren't any options in the offseason to find a replacement starter

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Im not even sure I know those names lol. Who was the guy we had that went in the Kovalchuk deal, was a real scumbag on the ice with major major penalties/suspensions every other season

cormier.jpg

Always enjoyed that photo from that WJC. I did find it amusing how everybody (justifiably) hated Cormier after the elbowing incidents but suddenly the perception changed after he'd been traded that he was a top prospect. Also laughed at this one freelance writer completely plagiarizing another article.

For instance, in their panic last season the New Jersey Devils gave up Johnny Oduya, two young, first-round prospects in Niclas Bergfors and Patrice Cormier, and their first two draft choices to the Atlanta Thrashers to rent Ilya Kovalchuk for 27 games.

When the Thrashers were sinking in 2009-10 and looking to rebuild, they traded Kovalchuk to the New Jersey Devils on Jan. 28, 2010 for Johnny Oduya, two young, first-round prospects in Niclas Bergfors and Patrice Cormier, and their first two draft choices.

The same error identifying Cormier as a former first rounder in both. The latter article was published February 2012. Bergfors had been dealt at the 2011 deadline to rent journeyman Radek Dvorak. Bergfors signed a minimal deal with Nashville for 2011-12 then got cut and cleared waivers to return to Europe. But the author was still trying to frame him as some valuable commodity. Maybe the closest I've ever come to contacting a website about somebody plagiarizing. [/coolstorybro]

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I never thought there was a market for Vesey. He was on waivers last year and is having an okay season, but he still kinda plays a top-six style game.

Reactions: Mgd31

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hammond has had a weird career to say the least. Decent numbers with Bowling Green. Not very good numbers in the AHL. But is 30-15-6 with a .923 save percentage and 2.31 GAA in the show. That’s pretty damn impressive.

It’s not the move we all wanted I guess but you really can’t complain about this move.
As much as I laughed at him with the DD stuff when he was overhyping and saying he could steal a playoff round back in 2015, he hasn't really performed poorly in the NHL.

That's heavily influenced by his one monster year, but even the year after that he wasn't bad. His performance was acceptable for a backup goalie that appeared in just 24 games and started 21.

He had a very rough 6 games the next year and has only played 6 more games (very good games) since then over a 5 year span, as well as 3 playoff games 4 years ago.

I was optimistic that Gillies would be not only serviceable, but even better than the injured, beat up, zombified version of Blackwood that we had saw from the start of December until he was shutdown in the middle of January, and that was ABSOLUTELY not the case.

So I could be wrong, but we really needed to do something for two reasons. Daws can't stay up and play games the remainder of the year in the NHL and Gillies is as close as it gets to an auto loss. He's had 2 starts out of 13 where he allowed fewer than 3 goals and has allowed 4 goals in 6 of his 13 starts and that's just not acceptable. And his last 3 starts have easily been his worse since we got him.

Reactions: glenwo2

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I kind of assumed Vesey was going nowhere, but I also wouldn't have been surprised if he did go anywhere.

Sometimes the trade deadline is weird. I remember I think it was 2 years ago, the Sharks traded Marleau to the Pens at the deadline, yet nobody wanted to trade for Joe Thornton at the same deadline, who was the same age, also a pending UFA and was definitely better than Marleau. I was under the impression that maybe all the ''Thornton is a choker in the playoffs'' stuff was really something almost the entire league had come to believe, but he didn't have any problems getting one year deals from two different teams since then.

I really did think Subban was gonna go somehow, even though the whole ''His deal is too much for any team to take on'' talk had been rampant for months now. And it looks like that's what happened there. We didn't trade Ryan Murray at the deadline last year, but we traded Kulikov. And I am under the impressions we never had any intentions of re-signing Murray.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
View attachment 519629

Always enjoyed that photo from that WJC. I did find it amusing how everybody (justifiably) hated Cormier after the elbowing incidents but suddenly the perception changed after he'd been traded that he was a top prospect. Also laughed at this one freelance writer completely plagiarizing another article.

The same error identifying Cormier as a former first rounder in both. The latter article was published February 2012. Bergfors had been dealt at the 2011 deadline to rent journeyman Radek Dvorak. Bergfors signed a minimal deal with Nashville for 2011-12 then got cut and cleared waivers to return to Europe. But the author was still trying to frame him as some valuable commodity. Maybe the closest I've ever come to contacting a website about somebody plagiarizing. [/coolstorybro]

I remember when the Kovy trade broke and originally people thought we gave up Tedenby and hell broke loose. Not only on here but on NJDevs.

After it was revealed it was Cormier, even back them mostly everyone thought we won that deal. I was more upset giving up Bergfors over anything else.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I never thought there was a market for Vesey. He was on waivers last year and is having an okay season, but he still kinda plays a top-six style game.
He'd have a purpose as far as depth or something for a contender that I would've guessed would be worth a mid to late pick. Guess not though.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
He'd have a purpose as far as depth or something for a contender that I would've guessed would be worth a mid to late pick. Guess not though.

You don't normally see teams add forwards that won't dress in a healthy lineup. I'm trying to think of when the Devils did that, and they added loads of D who barely played or were in and out of the lineup.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
You don't normally see teams add forwards that won't dress in a healthy lineup. I'm trying to think of when the Devils did that, and they added loads of D who barely played or were in and out of the lineup.
Well I didn't necessarily mean that he wouldn't play, just more that he's relatively versatile and could play up if needed in a pinch.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I remember when the Kovy trade broke and originally people thought we gave up Tedenby and hell broke loose. Not only on here but on NJDevs.

After it was revealed it was Cormier, even back them mostly everyone thought we won that deal. I was more upset giving up Bergfors over anything else.
And yet Oduya turned out to be the most valuable piece we gave up

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
What is his injury prognosis ? I guess once he's back, the idea is you have a 'veteran' goalie back there... while we bring up any kids from the minors. He should be better than Dawes or Gillies. Keeps us a bit more competitive while we figure out the skaters. Otherwise you would just kill the confidence of the other 2 goalies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
What is his injury prognosis ? I guess once he's back, the idea is you have a 'veteran' goalie back there... while we bring up any kids from the minors. He should be better than Dawes or Gillies. Keeps us a bit more competitive while we figure out the skaters. Otherwise you would just kill the confidence of the other 2 goalies.

About ready to come back. Sounds like a week or so.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
And yet Oduya turned out to be the most valuable piece we gave up

orrduya vs the canes was amazing

also, part of the '15 cup where the hawks put the weight basically on 4 defence to carry the load...sort by TOI

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
Reactions: njdevils1982
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad