Confirmed with Link: Devils trade 2nd and 4th rounders for Mirco Mueller and 5th rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm mildly surprised we heard from Hynes before Shero lol...then again Shero probably is still busy with the draft stuff.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
As expected, it sounds like the staff is pretty high on Mueller's upside. And it sounds like he'll be given every opportunity to develop his game and succeed.

Hopefully the radio silence from Shero means he's running up the phone bill.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Ok. I think BendictGomez got to me. I feel better about this trade now.

All I was looking for was an argument that wasn't:
1. You're stupid and know nothing about hockey if you judge a 22 year old.
2. A 2nd round is useless anyway.
3. He played bad for SJ but you haven't seen him play for US yet.
4. Don't question Shero and his scouts.

I still feel we overpaid a bit, but probably not as much as I thought initially.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
As expected, it sounds like the staff is pretty high on Mueller's upside. And it sounds like he'll be given every opportunity to develop his game and succeed.

Hopefully the radio silence from Shero means he's running up the phone bill.

I feel like that is a safe bet. It is a busy week between the two drafts and potential deals.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
If he can play a bit like Larsson in the sense that he is solid defensively and has even a decent first pass, that will be great. I'm not worried about him putting up 30-40+ points. I'm fine with him putting up around 20-25 at most. As long as he can play d and get the puck out of the zone be it skating or a first pass, that is fine with me.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
i wish we could find out his zone start %ages and corsi. i mean it def is bad that the SJ barracuda were a very good team this year, but i'm still curious what his assignments were
Yeah. AHL advanced stats are next to impossible to find. I'm quite surprised considering how some AHL teams (i.e. the Marlies) are followed up north.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Sounds like Hynes, as expected, is willing to give Mirco a real opportunity to develop and play here in NJ. Hopefully Mirco does well for himself and the Devils with this chance. We shall see once the season starts. That is when we will begin to have true insight into Mirco as a player, what he can bring to the Devils, and whether this trade was worth it or not.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
People thought Stralman was pretty much a lost cause. In a way, this reminds me of that situation. I think Mirco has a chance to be the kind of player Stralman is. But it's a crap shoot as to whether or not he actually will be.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
People thought Stralman was pretty much a lost cause. In a way, this reminds me of that situation. I think Mirco has a chance to be the kind of player Stralman is. But it's a crap shoot as to whether or not he actually will be.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I am just looking for information...

Do you know anything about Mueller the player?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Watched that Wild video. Man, mueller is a silky smooth skater

That was my main takeaway from the video. Had some nice stick work and did pretty well defensively (though he got undressed towards the end of the video). He didn't look like a complete grenade handler which is what I was afraid he'd be after hearing what some Sharks fans had to say about him. I can't imagine his net effect on the team is as negative as Moore's.

I'm not sure if I'd prefer him with a puck mover like Severson or a more stay at home guy like Santini. If he's with Lovejoy that will be setting him up for failure. I hope the Devils see what an anchor that turd is.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I am just looking for information...

Do you know anything about Mueller the player?
What's giving me a little hope is his size, speed, and skating ability. What scares me is reading the Sharks forum and learning about his instincts and mental gaffes.

It's done now, and I'm rooting for him to develop into a 2nd pairing.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
What's giving me a little hope is his size, speed, and skating ability. What scares me is reading the Sharks forum and learning about his instincts and mental gaffes.

To be fair, this board has pretty much shredded every 21-22 year old defensemen at one point or another in recent years, so board reaction is sometimes not the best barometer of a player's ability.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

2nd pairing is my hope but I'll settle for third pairing. Still an upgrade for this team and worth a couple picks.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

When Stralman was briefly part of the NJ organization, he at least had a history of being a 3rd pairing D who got good results.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Finally got the time to watch this entire video.

He looked good aside from getting inside outed at 13:41 and taking a bit of a bad angle at 14:12 and falling down at 14:20 leading to a quality shot.

He made a lot safe simple plays and seem to come away with the puck regularly.

Tough to tell though, a good portion of the early portion of the video is played in the Minnesota zone.

Some good stuff, there is a lot of inexperience shown in the times I mentioned before.

Interesting that he did jump up in the play at one point. He skates well for sure and while he may not be physical he uses his frame well to win puck battles....I'd like to see more.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
There​ was coach in Hockey East in the early 90's that made his defenseman wear their jersey inside out in practice if they got deaked that bad... can't remember who it was though

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
When Stralman was briefly part of the NJ organization, he at least had a history of being a 3rd pairing D who got good results.

It's true that Stralman had more of a history. The similarity concerning the situations to me come from the fact that they were both seen as lost causes who had the tools but couldn't put it together.

Jim, I'm sure Bleed could give you much more insight into the kind of player Mueller is. I see similarities in their skillsets. I think Stralman has more hockey sense, but I have seen more of him than I have of Mueller. I'm not saying in any way that Mueller will be anywhere near as good as Stralman. The point I'm trying to make is that sometimes guys really thrive on second chances in a new place, and sometimes they actually do put the pieces together and "figure it out". It's more rare than a guy actually being a lost cause, but for some reason I feel rather optimistic about this one. Cautiously optimistic, but optimistic.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
That video is pretty encouraging, even if it's just one game.

Put another way: a lot of things that apparently John Moore can't do in that video.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
That video is pretty encouraging, even if it's just one game.

Put another way: a lot of things that apparently John Moore can't do in that video.

He will an onslaught like he has never seen before here in New Jersey. Watch the support the D gets from the San Jose forwards.

Go through that whole 15 minutes and when the D is in their own zone there is nearly always 3 teal jerseys in the frame. Our defense doesn't get that kind of support unless Zajac is on the ice.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I think you're right, but, as far as what looks to be instincts, I'm encouraged.

Frankly, I'm still more worried about the coaching of the D more than any individual personnel.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
liked what I saw out of him .. simple smart effective plays in the defensive zone that let to smooth plays through neutral zone something they sorely lack. he is a much better skater than Merrill.

I can see why they are taking risk on him. obviously San Jose thought they could lose him so opted to trade no sense in debating it further until he plays some games but what is guaranteed is that they got a guy that can at least arguably play in NHL this fall .. which is way more than they would have gotten for the #49 pick ... in a position of need.

greene/shatty
mueller / severs

Moore/ wanting doesn't totally suck

lots of maybes there but that could be serviceable

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Here's something to think about

What do you think the chances are that the price of a really good and established young defender is now at a premium, possibly thanks to a trade that we ourselves benefited from a year ago?

A lot of the names that we (the fans) seemed to be interested in are guys that are in all honesty, probably better than Adam Larsson. Now I'm not saying getting those guys is gonna cost Taylor Hall, but it's likely to cost more than a couple of 2nd round picks.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Here's something to think about

What do you think the chances are that the price of a really good and established young defender is now at a premium, possibly thanks to a trade that we ourselves benefited from a year ago?

A lot of the names that we (the fans) seemed to be interested in are guys that are in all honesty, probably better than Adam Larsson. Now I'm not saying getting those guys is gonna cost Taylor Hall, but it's likely to cost more than a couple of 2nd round picks.
Obviously it would cost a ton, but right now it's what we sorely need, so we have to consider spending for it.

If Mueller turns out to be another 3rd pairing D like Moore and Merrill, it's not very useful to us. I'm getting a bit excited to see what we got now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad