Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought I remembered hearing that Sather didn't allow the broadcasters and TV/radio personnel to fly on the Rangers plane either?

I could be wrong about that though.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
btw didn't Chere's article say these changes still aren't finalized? So they might not all happen (number thing aside).

What I don't get is why the broadcasters were seperated from the team, what was Lou's purpose with that? I mean guys like Chico, Dano, Mac...they can relate to the players and maybe give nuggets of advice.

He did say that some details were still be negotiated, doubt it means any of the things mentioned don't happen. They are all standard stuff on MSG's other hockey broadcasts, as well as NBC's obviously.

I also highly doubt Lou could get these rules in place up in Toronto now. This is how hockey broadcasts are done now, and it was always a little silly to force Dano, Chico, Steve and company from riding the team plane.

I definitely know having to take a different plane annoyed the **** out of TG. You could always tell it when he got a delay.

GhostofKenKlee

I thought I remembered hearing that Sather didn't allow the broadcasters and TV/radio personnel to fly on the Rangers plane either?

I could be wrong about that though.

When Ferall was on Sirius at night, he use to have hockey players on.

He said the Rangers were the worst for player access and ripped them to shreds. They wanted to control the interview and blew off requests.

GhostofKenKlee

Why would the players want to deal with the media on the flight, the dynamic on the flight is the players interacting and should remain private.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Why would the players want to deal with the media on the flight, the dynamic on the flight is the players interacting and should remain private.

I know the Dallas Stars made a video in like 2009 when they got a customized team plane. The media section was behind dividers and in the back, so I think they kept thing separate. I would guess the Devils' plane will either be outfitted with that, or they'll just have some policy that media abide by to leave the guys alone.

Would love to see us get a custom plane :naughty:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I could see him getting ticked off at a bad call or something pretty easily down there and being so antsy to say something :laugh:

I could see that too. At least it would provide some entertainment if the games aren't going so good though.

They can make it a segment called ''Dano Destroys!'':laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

They don't usually bother them. It is literally just to give the media a hand so they get to the same location on time. These guys aren't robots. They do what most people do on flights. Sleep. Or finish typing up their writeups from the game THEN sleep.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

There's a difference between the media at large and team-employed broadcasters. I could care less if TG or Chere flies with the team, I'd prefer they don't probably though like I said you usually don't hear about breaking news on team flights. The team-employed broadcasters are different and maybe I'd feel differently if it wasn't Cangi, Dano, Matt, Sherry (and Doc/Chico before them) - all pretty much team lifers.

And like Colin said they could be tiered off on larger flights anyway.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well I think the only media that flies with them on team planes are usually just the TV and radio commentary crews. Maybe the camera crews and a couple behind the scenes TV personnel as well. It's not like they're flying around with random hockey journalists.

I don't think Lou kept them off the plane so much because of stories leaking, I would guess that he just wanted as few ''Outsiders'' as possible on the plane. Not that Chico and Doc, Steve, Dano, Deb, Maven, Loughlin, Sherry, etc, are outsiders. I think he just didn't want a large presence being with the team 24/7. I think he wanted things a little more exclusive.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Well I think the only media that flies with them on team planes are usually just the TV and radio commentary crews. Maybe the camera crews and a couple behind the scenes TV personnel as well. It's not like they're flying around with random hockey journalists.

I don't think Lou kept them off the plane so much because of stories leaking, I would guess that he just wanted as few ''Outsiders'' as possible on the plane. Not that Chico and Doc, Steve, Dano, Deb, Maven, Loughlin, Sherry, etc, are outsiders. I think he just didn't want a large presence being with the team 24/7. I think he wanted things a little more exclusive.

It is the same mentality of keeping the curtains closed during camp and practices. Like there was some big state secrets that could be leaked.

The only thing that would be leaked is if a yelling match or brawl broke out. Other then that not much of interest goes on on those planes I imagine.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They don't usually bother them. It is literally just to give the media a hand so they get to the same location on time. These guys aren't robots. They do what most people do on flights. Sleep. Or finish typing up their writeups from the game THEN sleep.

In the 1930's and 1940's in baseball the media even took the same trains with the players. Talk about close and personal...of course back then the media was more or less in the pockets of the teams anyway so nothing that happened there would ever break.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There's a difference between the media at large and team-employed broadcasters. I could care less if TG or Chere flies with the team, I'd prefer they don't probably. The team-employed broadcasters are different and maybe I'd feel differently if it wasn't Cangi, Dano, Matt, Sherry (and Doc/Chico before them) - all pretty much team lifers.

And like Colin said they could be tiered off on larger flights anyway.

Wait a second, I'm confused. Are Gulitti and Chere also going to be taking the team charter now? I figured it was just Steve, Dano, Deb, Johnny Mac (if he's gonna be on the road doing his new behind the glass gig), Matt, Sherry, maybe the technical staff and camera people?

I had no problem with Lou operating that way, though it was the first thing I actually thought of even before the facial hair and twitter stuff. That new management would probably let the TV and radio crews fly with the team now.

It had to be costing a lot of extra money for these people to be taking commercial flights though. What would have me concerned about that is, what if there were back to back games in different cities and they couldn't get out of whatever city they were in because of a storm or something? And the broadcast crew's couldn't make it in time for that night's telecast?

The team plane always leaves that city directly after the game, when they have a game the next night in a different city. It's usually too late by that time to get a commercial flight to wherever the next city is that the next night's game is in.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Wait a second, I'm confused. Are Gulitti and Chere also going to be taking the team charter now? I figured it was just Steve, Dano, Deb, Johnny Mac (if he's gonna be on the road doing his new behind the glass gig), Matt, Sherry, maybe the technical staff and camera people?

As of now no...so it's even less of an issue

5. TV and radio personnel on team flights

It's been years since members of the media traveled on the Devils' charter flights. Even television and radio broadcasters and technicians have had to fly on their own commercially in recent years. That will change, with at least broadcasters getting a chance to fly with the team again.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Meh double post. This computer sucks!

Sorry

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
As of now no...so it's even less of an issue

Yeah I didn't think beat writers travelled with the team, unless they were employed by the team directly. I know a few team's have their own ''Insider'' that flies with the team and writes and blogs for the team personally. Some of them are allowed to travel with the team, a lot of them also appear on TV broadcasts during intermission's or pre/post games too.

GhostofKenKlee

I know the Dallas Stars made a video in like 2009 when they got a customized team plane. The media section was behind dividers and in the back, so I think they kept thing separate. I would guess the Devils' plane will either be outfitted with that, or they'll just have some policy that media abide by to leave the guys alone.

Would love to see us get a custom plane :naughty:

Air Canada had a tie in (may still) with the NHL. It provided Air Canada planes to teams and non stop flights between all nhl markets. IE Air Canada flies Newark to every nhl market non stop.

GhostofKenKlee

It is the same mentality of keeping the curtains closed during camp and practices. Like there was some big state secrets that could be leaked.

The only thing that would be leaked is if a yelling match or brawl broke out. Other then that not much of interest goes on on those planes I imagine.

Card games/Tinder and gossip fodder on the plane.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Air Canada had a tie in (may still) with the NHL. It provided Air Canada planes to teams and non stop flights between all nhl markets. IE Air Canada flies Newark to every nhl market non stop.

It seems a lot of teams are using Delta nowadays, though some still use Air Canada too.

GhostofKenKlee

Delta and Air Canada are tied in. This was first used a few years back, they could of dialed down their affliation with the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad