Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
mindblown_70fd3809beb4abf3f7497785243071ca.jpg

Edit: That said, more MacLean stumbling over his thoughts (and during the actual game, as opposed to intermission when I can mute the TV and walk away) is horribly disappointing. Hopefully he has worked on his commentary.

The first part of the season he was learning the ropes. I thought he was fine the second half. It definitely takes experience to be smooth on TV

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Is Q on the WJC team surprising? Are big name players like McDavid also on the squad?

Its just the evaluation camp - he's not "on the team" just yet. McDavid knows he will be in Edmonton so no, he's not attending but other top players like Dylan Strome and Mitch Marner are both attending. I believe John Q was playing on a the 4th line with Lawson Crouse...

Canada has a plethora of players to pick from so his inclusion is definitely a good thing....

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The new TV stuff sounds pretty promising. It's always a good idea to add more to the broadcast that provides more of an inside look. The casual fan gets lost with hockey and the things they're doing should help a bit.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
The new TV stuff sounds pretty promising. It's always a good idea to add more to the broadcast that provides more of an inside look. The casual fan gets lost with hockey and the things they're doing should help a bit.

Yeah whatever just get me a RW who can score 30 goals :D

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
The media changes are just fluff in my opinion. They don't really make me more excited, and I doubt it will alter viewership that much. People aren't tuning into Devils games because the Devils have been losing a lot lately, so only the hardcore fans are interested in watching that. It's all window dressing until the Devils start winning again. There's nothing inherently wrong with the changes, though, so I'm not negative about them; just dubious about whether they'll have any real impact on increasing the audience for televised Devils games.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I don't care about these changes. They might be good. They might be bad. I really can't say they give me a strong op;inion one way or the other.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
The media changes are just fluff in my opinion. They don't really make me more excited, and I doubt it will alter viewership that much. People aren't tuning into Devils games because the Devils have been losing a lot lately, so only the hardcore fans are interested in watching that. It's all window dressing until the Devils start winning again. There's nothing inherently wrong with the changes, though, so I'm not negative about them; just dubious about whether they'll have any real impact on increasing the audience for televised Devils games.

It's not only about increasing viewership, but making viewing better for recurring viewers. It was ridiculous that we couldn't have someone to comment between the benches when just about every other network has it, including the Rangers on the same network. Having additional perspective from ice level to supplement the booth will only help. Plus little things like having a camera in the dressing room and grabbing Schneider commentary from practice will only enhance the viewing experience. I'm surprised that there's so much debate about these changes given that it's pretty much standard across the board at this point. It's not like they're doing anything revolutionary like micing up the players and streaming their unedited on-ice audio in the middle of a game.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
It's not only about increasing viewership, but making viewing better for recurring viewers. It was ridiculous that we couldn't have someone to comment between the benches when just about every other network has it, including the Rangers on the same network. Having additional perspective from ice level to supplement the booth will only help. Plus little things like having a camera in the dressing room and grabbing Schneider commentary from practice will only enhance the viewing experience. I'm surprised that there's so much debate about these changes given that it's pretty much standard across the board at this point. It's not like they're doing anything revolutionary like micing up the players and streaming their unedited on-ice audio in the middle of a game.

Fair enough points about it perhaps enhancing the viewing experience of those who already watch the games. I guess I've never really been into putting mics on the players in practice or having commentary at the bench. It's fine if it's there, and it's fine if it's not there. I'm not really excited one way or the other. As I said, I'm not negative about the changes. I just think they're fluff. Fluff is neither good nor bad; it's just the part of the broadcast I get through in order to see the real action.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
And what really bothered me was like how we weren't allowed to have someone between the benches at our home games, but when the Flyers came to town THEIR on-ice guy was given that access. I mean, how could Lou honestly block our team from that yet allow a direct rival to do it?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Fair enough points about it perhaps enhancing the viewing experience of those who already watch the games. I guess I've never really been into putting mics on the players in practice or having commentary at the bench. It's fine if it's there, and it's fine if it's not there. I'm not really excited one way or the other. As I said, I'm not negative about the changes. I just think they're fluff. Fluff is neither good nor bad; it's just the part of the broadcast I get through in order to see the real action.

That's because you're a hardcore fan, and like you said they'll watch no matter what really. The Devils know this, we all do. They needed this to appeal to the casuals, the people that'll catch a game/broadcast or two. They need to enjoy the experience to keep coming back (don't know why they're putting MacLean between the benches if that's what they want though :sarcasm:), and this fluff will help a lot.

This kind of "insider" access (it's not really insider compared to the rest of the league, it's just standard, but for us it is) will breathe some life into an otherwise dull broadcast. That'll get more people coming back for more. How the team is doing plays a part in the numbers, but a lot of other stuff does as well and even more so in my opinion.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
That's because you're a hardcore fan, and like you said they'll watch no matter what really. The Devils know this, we all do. They needed this to appeal to the casuals, the people that'll catch a game/broadcast or two. They need to enjoy the experience to keep coming back (don't know why they're putting MacLean between the benches if that's what they want though :sarcasm:), and this fluff will help a lot.

This kind of "insider" access (it's not really insider compared to the rest of the league, it's just standard, but for us it is) will breathe some life into an otherwise dull broadcast. That'll get more people coming back for more. How the team is doing plays a part in the numbers, but a lot of other stuff does as well and even more so in my opinion.

"It's the economy stupid". Ok not a quote that is directly comparable to hockey broadcasts, but IMO if you want people to watch a game and keep watching how about scoring more than one goal/game and producing some excitement instead of a golf game on ice. That will do a lot more than JMac's little segments between the benches.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

If it really does draw in casual fans, that's great. As I say, I'm not opposed to the changes to the media (doesn't really impact me much either way, though I hope MacLean won't be as annoying as McGuire is during his segments on the benches); I'm just not dancing in the streets because of some extra access. If others are happy, it's nice that their viewing experience will be enhanced.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The bells and whistles also imo help attract and keep a younger audience (kids), let's face it there is more competition for entertainment money and time by the year.

I just hope they don't take it so far it hinders the players in the long run.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
At the end of the day for me, Shero's legacy in NJ will be determined by the quality of the teams he builds with the Devils, not by what he does to the Devils media/broadcasting. He's already made some improvements to the team (even if I disagree with some of his decisions) so I'm not looking to bash him. It's just to me things like media changes and allowing higher/lower numbers are superfluous concerns; winning should be the much bigger focus.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
At the end of the day for me, Shero's legacy in NJ will be determined by the quality of the teams he builds with the Devils, not by what he does to the Devils media/broadcasting. He's already made some improvements to the team (even if I disagree with some of his decisions) so I'm not looking to bash him. It's just to me things like media changes and allowing higher/lower numbers are superfluous concerns; winning should be the much bigger focus.

To be fair I think improving the team is the bigger concern. They handled a lot of on-ice moves before the off-ice.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014

Exactly. Those gimmicks are fine but at the end of the day it's always about the product. Just like the 3D thing. It's cool to look at but nobody is buying a ticket just for that.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
My "here's hoping" takeaway from the enhanced local coverage is that ownership is flexing its muscles with MSG. Maybe some more documentary or behind the scenes content. Getting MSG+2 in HD would be nice - frankly, it should be a short term demand if MSG wants to even be in the running for the local TV rights when they come up again.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Devils announce you can trade your old Cammy/Gelinas/Tootoo jersey between Aug 13 - Sept 13th for a brand new one free of charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad