Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The Leafs were definitely favored, but my point is that they were always overhyped and performance never has matched expectations. Sure they were probably better than Columbus, but they were still an 8 seed that had to fire their coach midseason that year. That was the same season of losing to the ebug.

Everyone focuses on their forwards. Yes, being top heavy, losing Nylander and not getting Conn Smyth-type performances from the other 3 is bad (for them).

But the Leaf’s Top 4 is trash. Brodie came back for Game 4 but he‘s cooked. Their defense isn’t good at anything. Reilly is the only offensive guy but no one stands out defensively.

HockeyViz
IMG_6466.pngIMG_6467.jpeg

The Athletic
IMG_6465.jpeg
IMG_6468.pngIMG_6469.pngIMG_6470.png

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
I hadnt listened to it in months but one of the guys on the Let’s Go Devils podcast said that the Devils should resign McDermid and Smith (as a forward), but one of them would need to play on the 3rd line :laugh:.

Shortly after, they mentioned how Rachel Doerrie is a friend of the Podcast and I’ve decided I was right in not listening for as long as I did.
Rachel Doerrie-ere, always so butthurt... :sarcasm:

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I’ve been critical of Nico over the years but I’m pretty happy with where he’s at. The last two years have been what I wanted to see.
Same here. I think he’s easily the team’s best all around player. We need more guys in his mold from a two way standpoint.

That being said, somewhat to Jim’s point, we also need more guys who are willing to dish out as much punishment as they take. That is one area of the game Nico doesn’t have. He takes the beatings but doesn’t dole anything out. People here wonder why he seems to receive so many more cheap shots and physicality than others…well it’s because he doesn’t push back hard enough. I absolutely believe that’s part of the reason he gets injured the way he does. And when the rest of the team also fails to push back…well, that’s a soft team.

I’ll reiterate again that this is not the only component of being “soft” but it is one of them.

Reactions: Omar Little

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010

Something to keep in mind when it comes to our own team, especially with all the talk of them being soft and needing to play a "safer" game.

The issue as I see it as that there seems to be some segment of fans and the hockey world that equate toughness with strictly bottom 6 forwards who fight and hit but don’t do much else well. When in reality, you need toughness in your top 6, and what that entails is a mix of two way commitment, being hard on the puck, forecheck relentlessness, and the willingness to be a pest or at minimum push back physically/not be bullied.

The maple leafs did not properly address any of that. Their star players are softies both mentally and physically in the playoffs.

Also, the construction of the D-core is way off. No real #1 and no depth.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
The issue as I see it as that there seems to be some segment of fans and the hockey world that equate toughness with strictly bottom 6 forwards who fight and hit but don’t do much else well. When in reality, you need toughness in your top 6, and what that entails is a mix of two way commitment, being hard on the puck, forecheck relentlessness, and the willingness to be a pest or at minimum push back physically/not be bullied.

The maple leafs did not properly address any of that. Their star players are softies both mentally and physically in the playoffs.

Also, the construction of the D-core is way off. No real #1 and no depth.
The segment of fans who see "toughness" that way are the same segment of fans who shit on anyone who brings up "toughness." It's so much easier to argue against someone when you pretend they are advocating for Ryan Reeves or Mcdermid.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
The segment of fans who see "toughness" that way are the same segment of fans who shit on anyone who brings up "toughness." It's so much easier to argue against someone when you pretend they are advocating for Ryan Reeves or Mcdermid.
One problem, I think, is NHL teams seem to think adding a goon to the bottom of the lineup does affect team toughness, when it really just adds a poor hockey player while your stars stay exposed.

I’ll go with the possibly unpopular opinion that I don’t care how tough you are as long as you find a way to out score your opponent, whether that’s grinding out a 1-0 win or skilling out a 6-5 win.

I think there are many ways to skin a cat (weird phrase) and I think NHL teams would be wiser to become the best they can at doing things one way rather than make a hodgepodge lineup trying to be good at everything.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
One problem, I think, is NHL teams seem to think adding a goon to the bottom of the lineup does affect team toughness, when it really just adds a poor hockey player while your stars stay exposed.

I’ll go with the possibly unpopular opinion that I don’t care how tough you are as long as you find a way to out score your opponent, whether that’s grinding out a 1-0 win or skilling out a 6-5 win.

I think there are many ways to skin a cat (weird phrase) and I think NHL teams would be wiser to become the best they can at doing things one way rather than make a hodgepodge lineup trying to be good at everything.
That makes sense, but I think we underestimate how hard it is to do what needs to be done, not in a "will to do it" sense, but actually identifying and acquiring the players needed to make that change.

But asking some team who is over their resident goon, to send them your way for a 5th-7th takes close to no effort and is considered "doing something." I don't believe they think they are fixing the problem, but the "I can't just do nothing" bug hits everyone in power. From sports to politics.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
That makes sense, but I think we underestimate how hard it is to do what needs to be done, not in a "will to do it" sense, but actually identifying and acquiring the players needed to make that change.

But asking some team who is over their resident goon, to send them your way for a 5th-7th takes close to no effort and is considered "doing something." I don't believe they think they are fixing the problem, but the "I can't just do nothing" bug hits everyone in power. From sports to politics.
MacDermid was added to fight Rempe in my view. Did it change anything? Maybe who knows. It got Rempe thrown out of the game so he couldn’t hurt anyone else. In thr bigger picture if every team had a thug fight Rempe every game he’d tone it down or end up in thr hospital at some point. But that’s sort of thr problem. You only need a thug in very narrow circumstances.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Toronto just got tougher in the wrong way! It's a super simple fix, just bring in the right toughness and not the wrong toughness.
Their top 6 didn’t get tougher. And their D is still poorly constructed.

I can’t stand strawmans…or semantics. In this argument we get a healthy helping of each.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
the devils will have jack hughes nico hischier jesper bratt timo meier kurtis macdermid luke hughes and simon nemec for the better part of the next decade+

what a time to be alive. let's go get a goalie and win some stanley f***ing cups.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018

I can't think of any Devil in the top 6 that would do what Jamie Benn does in this clip aside from maybe Meier ^ but I can think of atleast 4 players in the top 6 that would of been flattened like Stankoven was. Granted Stankoven is probably the smallest player in the NHL right now but Benn didn't hesitate to stick up for his teammate with a big clean hit. That's the kind of grit the top 6 is missing. I don't care what people do after the play is dead mucking it up or whatever , it's about the play on ice when their is no stoppage that matters the most.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
The Devils need to figure out how to maintain possession in the offensive zone. "Toughness" to me really means that (ability to win 50/50 pucks on boards, get to dangerous areas of ice with possession). On defense the devils maybe got walked a few times but It's not like a crisis scenario I don't think, the dmen are big enough and strong enough on their skates to defend zones properly.

I'm hopeful a tactics change, maybe eliminating the overemphasis of transition scoring chances, can make that happen. This would have to happen without killing team speed or anything that makes the best players on the devils effective. Which is a puzzle to solve above my pay grade to be honest. I hope there's a real holistic effort in the FO to figure out the right coach and supporting cast to make that happen. The rumors have me think they are going hard after Sullivan who I like, but would be Fitz's second crony hire in a row, which is a tad concerning.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
my buddy who tipped me off about the bratt extension and the severson trade just said sully and pittsburgh are mutually parting in the next 24 hours and that sully/nj will be announced within a week.

if he's wrong I won't post his shit again. but he's usually not wrong.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
The Devils need to figure out how to maintain possession in the offensive zone. "Toughness" to me really means that (ability to win 50/50 pucks on boards, get to dangerous areas of ice with possession). On defense the devils maybe got walked a few times but It's not like a crisis scenario I don't think, the dmen are big enough and strong enough on their skates to defend zones properly.

I'm hopeful a tactics change, maybe eliminating the overemphasis of transition scoring chances, can make that happen. This would have to happen without killing team speed or anything that makes the best players on the devils effective. Which is a puzzle to solve above my pay grade to be honest. I hope there's a real holistic effort in the FO to figure out the right coach and supporting cast to make that happen. The rumors have me think they are going hard after Sullivan who I like, but would be Fitz's second crony hire in a row, which is a tad concerning.
I feel we are limited on what we can do on the back end outside of add a #6/#7. You already have Luke, Siegs, Bahl, Dougie, Nemec and Marino locked up. Have to hope the 3 younger Dmen improve, Dougie comes back and isn't too substantially diminished from his injury and Siegs/Marino bounce back.

Up front is where we can make moves with adding players with size that can cycle and add a physical dynamic that we are clearly missing.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
my buddy who tipped me off about the bratt extension and the severson trade just said sully and pittsburgh are mutually parting in the next 24 hours and that sully/nj will be announced within a week.

if he's wrong I won't post his shit again. but he's usually not wrong.
At least you gave us where you got the information and we can believe, disbelieve, or ignore as we like.

Much better than when people say they see something on Twitter rumors with no tweets. :lol:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad