Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Bill firing out the tweets early today. All great stuff, Fitz is busy.

That Blackwood one though, a lower offer ooooooooof.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

IMG_6703.png

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Fitz is for sure just being nice instead of just saying what’s he’s probably thinking: “Hell no! That guy sucks.”
Gotta be tough for Blackwood hearing that. Went from the future to a guy who might not even get qualified.

I still think Yegor could be a decent fit here, but it’s just getting crowded with the talent we’ve amassed. Maybe there’s a trade out there like the Zacha for Haula swap? Probably just a pick though.
I wouldn't mind him taking Tatar's spot tbh. Shara has value to this team.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I still think Yegor could be a decent fit here, but it’s just getting crowded with the talent we’ve amassed. Maybe there’s a trade out there like the Zacha for Haula swap? Probably just a pick though.
I think there's a Yegor for a RHD trade possibly, the RHD UFA market is brutal and I don't want to get into a bidding war over a marginal talent. Maybe a cheapish 2 year term guy you expect to be the 7th dman next year.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
It's a shame, love Yegor but he was just squeezed out of the lineup. Feels like the writing was on the wall down the stretch.
Ya. Is Yegor the guy that shoots 14% or the guy that shoots 10%? The Devils probably aren’t the right situation to pay to find out. His shots per 60 has also trended down each year but it’s a small trend so I don’t think that’s as worrisome.

If your value and pay is going to come mostly from your goal scoring then having a bad year shooting before a new contract is a killer.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
You fogot Wood as an UFA.
I think Tatar and Wood are both gone.
Wood to be replaced internally by Lazar or Foote.
Huala is re-signed for $3m, two year contract.
Sharangovich i'm fine to qualify him but he doesn't get a raise.
Bastian and Boqvist shouldn't get more than $1m-$1.5m per season.
Clarke and Thompson to get a look at training camp but I dont think they make the team.
I can only see NJ making a UFA signing or trade for a 3RD that can penalty kill on a short term contract. To allow Nemec one more year of AHL development.

I'm curious to see how Fitz replaces Tatar.
It probably should be Alex Holtz but if Lindy doesn't trust him then he probably needs to dip into free agency or consider a trade for a veteran forward.

For me either they play Holtz or he plays the entire season in AHL. It was no good to have him as a healthy scratch for so long.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

The only difference is that I have Bastian up to 1.8M. Also, I see Palat as the possible Tatar replacement. I don't think he was 100% this year.

As for UFA signings, I'd like to see the plan with Haula, whether he's our 3C or if we keep him on Jack's wing, where they had pretty good chemistry. If the plan is to play Haula on his wing, we also need to add a cheap shutdown UFA 3C to compete with Boqvist.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Not worried about arbitration with Timo. I think the team is just retaining a right that they have since a deal wasn't done by the deadline to elect for arb.

It also saves the Devils 1.5 mil (at least) on the cap if they don't get a deal and he goes to arb.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Not worried about arbitration with Timo. I think the team is just retaining a right that they have since a deal wasn't done by the deadline to elect for arb.

It also saves the Devils 1.5 mil (at least) on the cap if they don't get a deal and he goes to arb.

It's mostly a negotiation tactic, to put a time limit on talks, and anchor a number for the contract. I would be very surprised if Meier got to his arbitration hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad