Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’ll be surprised if they have as good a regular season this year as last year. A lot went right for the Devils last year from health and guys having career years to other teams having issues. I’m skeptical they repaeat whatever they went against Canadian teams for example and I’m skeptical they win so many late game heroics games. I don’t foresee a collapse but maybe they are closer to 99-100 points than 110-115. The playoffs should be a different matter assuming they are healthy. I expect it to take some time for Hughes and Bahl to get settled with their roles and if they need Nemec that’s not a good thing as i see it because it means Miller has completely failed. I could also see some bumps along the way from the goaltending. I do expect the offense to be better. Just my thoughts.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
View attachment 750865
View attachment 750866

Malkin was a rookie in 2006-07, the start of the Pen’s 16 year playoff streak.

At the time of this article, Malkin had been to the playoffs 12 times and that includes 3 Cups (2009, 2016, 2017), a SCF loss (2008) and a ECF loss (2013).

The Devils had made the playoffs 6 of 12 times and made it out of the 1st round twice, 2007 (2nd Rd) & 2012 (SCF loss).

And he’s being a little bitch about the Devils and Prudential Center lol. I’ll probably go to my grave remembering this dumb little NHL.com article.

I always wondered which other (Penguin) player picked Prudential in this poll.

I don't blame Geno... our fans are nuts. If things aren't going our way, watch out for chicken... and they made those suckers even bigger... dangerous.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
How deep you go in the playoffs isn't always about talent. Matchups, injuries...A 3 or 4 game hot streak or cold streak could change everything.

I have no expectations for how deep the Devils will get in the playoffs. Another good season of 40+ wins, 100+ points with a lot of goals and good play is all I care about.
I mostly agree, match ups are the most important thing when it comes to playoffs. Sometimes you can be the 'better' team on paper, but the other guys just have your number and there's not much you can do about it.

But if we're a +45 win/+100 point team facing a lower seeded opponent in the 1st round - my expectation is that we should win more times than not. The only team in the East I really fear is Carolina, and there's almost no chance we face them in the 1st round. Against anyone else, we should be the favorites, which again doesn't mean a whole lot in the end.

But still. I think this team has earned the privilege of higher expectations.

To me, the nightmare scenario is that we win 1st in the Metro and then get matched up with a #7/#8 seeded Lightning team that sneaks into a wildcard spot with a fresh and well-rested Vasilevskiy. We could definitely beat them, but there's a fair chance it ends in disaster for us.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I’ll be surprised if they have as good a regular season this year as last year. A lot went right for the Devils last year from health and guys having career years to other teams having issues. I’m skeptical they repaeat whatever they went against Canadian teams for example and I’m skeptical they win so many late game heroics games. I don’t foresee a collapse but maybe they are closer to 99-100 points than 110-115. The playoffs should be a different matter assuming they are healthy. I expect it to take some time for Hughes and Bahl to get settled with their roles and if they need Nemec that’s not a good thing as i see it because it means Miller has completely failed. I could also see some bumps along the way from the goaltending. I do expect the offense to be better. Just my thoughts.
Well I don't think anyone expects 50+ wins again.

But I do think over 100 points definitely should happen.

We won't surprise anyone this season, but even with that I think there are a lot teams that just can't handle the speed the Devils can put out...it is so evident in 3 on 3. We made a lot of teams look silly in OT...so we may not surprise anyone but there isn't really anything they can do to control the wave after wave of speed we have.

Our preseason games were played at a faster pace than those 3 games last night

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Given these comments about Nemec. And NJ's commitment in developing him into a two way stud, are we hurting Luke's development by not doing the same? He won't be playing PK in the NHL. He's going to be sheltered defensively.
Luke is also in his D+3. It’s time for him. When it’s all said and done, both Luke and Simon might have the same path to the league. Playing games in their D+2 (different amounts) and become a regular in their D+3. Don’t really have an issue with all of this.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
DraftKings odds to win the "NHL Championship" (lol)
CAR +800
NJ +900
TOR +900
EDM +1000
COL +1000
VGK +1200
NYR +1300
DAL +1400

Odds to win the President's trophy
CAR +450
EDM +600
NJ +700
COL +800
TOR +800
DAL +800

Odds to win the East
CAR +450
NJ +550
TOR +550
NYR +750

Odds to win the Metro
CAR +175
NJ +240
NYR +330
PIT +750

Our regular season points spread is set to 105.5 and both the over/under have the same odds of -115.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I like how Doms model feels we’re the best team but our cup odds are dramatically lower because of the division we play in.

Looking forward to bitching about playoff structure like a goddam leafs fan.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Well there goes the idea of him being a bridge to a successor. I guess he's earned the chance to win with this group, but I'm still not sure he's the coach to take us on a serious Cup run.

I think that idea was already squashed after last season. I imagine that was the plan all along but hard to not run with the guy after he had a record breaking regular season and won a round.

I like how Doms model feels we’re the best team but our cup odds are dramatically lower because of the division we play in.

Looking forward to bitching about playoff structure like a goddam leafs fan.

2nd and 3rd teams in the league and 1st and 2nd remaining teams had to play in the 2nd round last year. It's so f***ing stupid.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Well I don't think anyone expects 50+ wins again.

But I do think over 100 points definitely should happen.

We won't surprise anyone this season, but even with that I think there are a lot teams that just can't handle the speed the Devils can put out...it is so evident in 3 on 3. We made a lot of teams look silly in OT...so we may not surprise anyone but there isn't really anything they can do to control the wave after wave of speed we have.

Our preseason games were played at a faster pace than those 3 games last night

That’s a good point about the 3 on 3 speed. Maybe they do better in OT than I expect. Good thought.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Oh I agree. I always secretly thought Leafs fans were totally justified with their complaints.

2016 and 2017 with the Caps/Pens was really bad too. Caps won the Presidents Trophy in both years and the Pens were 2nd in the conference in both years (2nd in the league in 2017). They had to play in the 2nd round both years. 2018 Tampa/Boston were 1 and 2 in the conference and had to play in the 2nd round and in the West Nashville/Winnipeg were the top 2 in the league and had to play in the 2nd round. It's a f***ing awful format.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
How deep you go in the playoffs isn't always about talent. Matchups, injuries...A 3 or 4 game hot streak or cold streak could change everything.

I have no expectations for how deep the Devils will get in the playoffs. Another good season of 40+ wins, 100+ points with a lot of goals and good play is all I care about.

The late 1990s was a lesson in anything can happen in the playoffs.

I just don’t want to lose to the Rangers in the playoffs ever, beating them at home more would be cool too. (The 1st two losses made the win more sweeter in many ways but let’s not do that again guys.)

I don’t think that’s too much to ask, make that happen universe.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
The late 1990s was a lesson in anything can happen in the playoffs.

I just don’t want to lose to the Rangers in the playoffs ever, beating them at home more would be cool too. (The 1st two losses made the win more sweeter in many ways but let’s not do that again guys.)

I don’t think that’s too much to ask, make that happen universe.

It’d be fun to win it on their ice next time

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Given these comments about Nemec. And NJ's commitment in developing him into a two way stud, are we hurting Luke's development by not doing the same? He won't be playing PK in the NHL. He's going to be sheltered defensively.
Both Luke and the team is going to benefit a lot more from him playing on the Devils PP now rather than him playing on the Utica PP with a bunch of nonentities.

It’d be fun to win it on their ice next time
You sick bastard.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I just hope for an entertaining season. The North American obsession with knockout tournaments takes far too much meaning away from regular seasons and places it all on a system that is absolutely not designed to determine the best team (Baseball is the worst offender of this). The reality is the playoffs are a crapshoot and you just have to hope it rolls in your favor. As long as the season is entertaining and gives the team a legitimate claim to backing up all the hype, I'm going to be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad